Prospect Info: 2019 Draft: 1st Pick: Philip Broberg - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

MettleMcOiler

5-14-6-1
Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton
@ zaddy

Have you ever been wrong about a prospect?
- someone you thought highly of but completely failed to take to the next level?

- someone you thought was just mediocre but grew his game to become high quality player?

I think we been spoiled by abundance of high elite talent that we may be judging players that normally would be a high end prospect for us, now becomes a good or mediocre talent.

Just because they don't flash brilliance early doesn't not mean they cannot show that later on.

Broberg is definitely a wait and see prospect though and I hope he becomes what Holland thinks he is capable of.

Reactions: B33K33PING

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017

I don't put much credence into Rishaugs prospect opinions but Tippett said he didn't look too our of place.

I think I'm definitely wrong on his floor. He will probably be at least a 3rs pairing guy but I still think his ceiling is quite low

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
@ zaddy

Have you ever been wrong about a prospect?
- someone you thought highly of but completely failed to take to the next level?

- someone you thought was just mediocre but grew his game to become high quality player?

I think we been spoiled by abundance of high elite talent that we may be judging players that normally would be a high end prospect for us, now becomes a good or mediocre talent.

Just because they don't flash brilliance early doesn't not mean they cannot show that later on.

Broberg is definitely a wait and see prospect though and I hope he becomes what Holland thinks he is capable of.

Sure, and I love to be proven wrong on guys I don't like. I would be ecstatic if Broberg became what some people think he can become. I'm just not that optimistic about it.

To be clear, I think he has a good chance of becoming an every day NHLer based on his tools but I think there are many players picked behind him that are going to be more useful players and offer more than he does.

For this to be a good pick in my book either he outperforms the guys picked behind him or he becomes a legit top pair D.

To be honest I think he's going to be a guy that frustrates Oilers fans. You see his size and skating but he's always going to leave you wanting more.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Sure, and I love to be proven wrong on guys I don't like. I would be ecstatic if Broberg became what some people think he can become. I'm just not that optimistic about it.

To be clear, I think he has a good chance of becoming an every day NHLer based on his tools but I think there are many players picked behind him that are going to be more useful players and offer more than he does.

For this to be a good pick in my book either he outperforms the guys picked behind him or he becomes a legit top pair D.

To be honest I think he's going to be a guy that frustrates Oilers fans. You see his size and skating but he's always going to leave you wanting more.

Don't agree with this. 2nd pairing #3 Dman would be above par for where he was drafted. Top pair Dman would be a jackpot.

Nurse hasn't really outperformed anyone picked ahead of him his draft and there are many drafted in 3rd\4th round that year who have been very good. It doesn't make him a bad pick even if he never becomes a legit top pairing Dman.

There will be a Brett Pesce like prospect drafted from Broberg's draft year in round 3 and others like Guentzel, Duclair, Bjorkstrand in later rounds. Doesn't change anything about Broberg's value to me.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
He's a guy that the team's going to need discipline with.

By that, I mean his speed, size, and skill will always make him look near NHL ready. Hell he could likely survive at the NHL level next season in a year if he plays within his means.

However "within his means" is a point that will change (alot), depending on how much time he's allowed to develop. He a player that will need lots of time to hone his offensive game, even if he could survive in the NHL earlier. That's the point where the team will need discipline: to let him have that extra time to develop.

I think his top upside is a Letang-like player (except he's 6'4). Not the most natural OFD (see how often Pens fans call out his hockey IQ), but his freakish skating and willingness to attack more than make up for it. Ristolainen or Pitkanen are other comparables.

His puck handling does have me slightly concerned though. He actually reminds me a lot of MPS visually; For all the dekes he tries, there's a lack of polish in the execution.

However one element I really like in his highlights is he's assertive in his decision making. Not a lot of indecisiveness or hesitation, plus his speed near always allows him to exploit holes in coverage. That's a element Paajarvi-Svensson lacked. Plus regarding the lack of polish, that's something I'll start worrying above only once he's no longer a teenager.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Was Broberg great value for where he was picked? No he isnt. I dont think anyone would argue that he is.

I do think fans are undervaluing his ceiling. I think he was drafted a little early but that's the way the draft goes these days. These players are taken early and no one is willing to trade them.

Hes a guy that I think wins you a lot of hockey games and is a major contributor to your teams defence. I dont think these types of guys can be valued enough. They make the whole team better.

Reactions: KYams17

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Spec brought up a similar comment to Gregor about how the kid looked so much different from the first day to the second or third.

Stauffer also mentioned a key point. Klef went back to Sweden for two year then AHL then NHL, so we should be patient. Stauffer then went sideways and is talking about him playing in 20-21 if we make it to the conference finals and Broberg is still around.

Reactions: LaGu

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Was Broberg great value for where he was picked? No he isnt. I dont think anyone would argue that he is.

I do think fans are undervaluing his ceiling. I think he was drafted a little early but that's the way the draft goes these days. These players are taken early and no one is willing to trade them.

Hes a guy that I think wins you a lot of hockey games and is a major contributor to your teams defence. I dont think these types of guys can be valued enough. They make the whole team better.
Seems a little early to say either way

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Spec brought up a similar comment to Gregor about how the kid looked so much different from the first day to the second or third.

Stauffer also mentioned a key point. Klef went back to Sweden for two year then AHL then NHL, so we should be patient. Stauffer then went sideways and is talking about him playing in 20-21 if we make it to the conference finals and Broberg is still around.
Broberg had a development year this season, first time in SHL. Next season he's one of the top dogs on his team, they've shipped out D and will rely much more on him.

Reactions: KYams17

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003

Your last paragraph is literally a word for word description of Joni Pitkanen.

Yes, I’m bullish on my Pitkanen comp. ;)

Rufus Aslegard

Jun 15, 2019

Years ago, the Oilers would have looked stupid if they had drafted Morgan Rielly or Hampus Lindholm at #1 in 2012.

Today, those are the exact players the Oilers should have drafted.

You don't know what Broberg will be like in 2-4 years. He may be great, mediocre, or awful.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011

I've said before, that he wouldnt be the player that I would of picked at #8. At the same time whether people are undervaluing his ceiling or not, I think people do need to realize that you're simply not going to pick up a Seider, Broberg, Bouchard, Dobson etc other than drafting them. Teams just rarely give up on a top 4 defenseman (let alone a top pairing defenseman) until maybe they are close to 30 years old or or older (if they even do).

Last edited:

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Don't agree with this. 2nd pairing #3 Dman would be above par for where he was drafted. Top pair Dman would be a jackpot.

Nurse hasn't really outperformed anyone picked ahead of him his draft and there are many drafted in 3rd\4th round that year who have been very good. It doesn't make him a bad pick even if he never becomes a legit top pairing Dman.

There will be a Brett Pesce like prospect drafted from Broberg's draft year in round 3 and others like Guentzel, Duclair, Bjorkstrand in later rounds. Doesn't change anything about Broberg's value to me.

Agreed. If you want to say you have to outperform someone to be a good pick, it makes a lot more sense to compare them to the couple guys below who were in discussion to go at that point. For instance, Drai would have been a good pick even if he never passed Ekblad, simply because he’s better than Bennett who was the other option. Nurse is also a good pick because he’s better than Risto and Nuke.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I've said before, that he wouldnt be the player that I would of picked at #8. At the same time whether people are undervaluing his ceiling or not, I think people do need to realize that you're simply not going to pick up a Seider, Broberg, Bouchard, Dobson etc other than drafting them. Teams just rarely give up on a top 4 defenseman (let alone a top pairing defenseman) until maybe they are close to 30 years old.
New Jersey gave up Adam Larsson... :sarcasm:

Reactions: joestevens29

duul

Jun 21, 2010

Like I said, he is the second 'best' skater on the ice at camp after McDavid. That alone will have him playing in the NHL.

In a week's time when he gets a bit better with the timing of NHL speed (keep in mind he already plays with great, fast players in the SHL -- he will be ahead of Lagesson on the depth chart.)

When you're that good of a skater, you are set to be a NHL defenceman. He looks damn good out there and is a surefire NHLer -- only question being is he a 1st pairing or 3rd pairing guy. My opinion is unless he significantly improves his offensive awareness, he's a third pairing guy. If he does, sky's the limit.

Jay Bouwmeester carved out a very good career for himself. Olympian, All Star, etc...I think Broberg ends up quite similar. Less offence likely, but the skating is identical.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad