Prospect Info: 2019 Draft: 1st Pick: Philip Broberg - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
Hey guys, I wanted to discuss some recent comments by J.D. Burke on TSN in Vancouver

Basically, there's a rift going on between Jim Benning and their scouting staff right now - and a very interesting nugget came out of it.

Apparently Jim Benning wanted Broberg, and the scouts wanted Podkolzin. The scouts in Vancouver were very worried that Broberg was playing a bit of 4LW for his team in Sweden, saying he "lacked major hockey sense and defensive ability" and wondered if he'd ever play in the NHL.

Link is here: https://post.futurimedia.com/ckstam/playlist/listen-24338.html

Quotes about Broberg start around the 11:00 left mark.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Hey guys, I wanted to discuss some recent comments by J.D. Burke on TSN in Vancouver

Basically, there's a rift going on between Jim Benning and their scouting staff right now - and a very interesting nugget came out of it.

Apparently Jim Benning wanted Broberg, and the scouts wanted Podkolzin. The scouts in Vancouver were very worried that Broberg was playing a bit of 4LW for his team in Sweden, saying he "lacked major hockey sense and defensive ability" and wondered if he'd ever play in the NHL.

JD Burke cracks me up. Calling the Vancouver a unique market because some fan can name a couple of scouts.. Burke has had little interaction with other markets I suspect

Reactions: CycloneSweep

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017

Broberg apparently hasn't been a defender long so him playing like a forward makes sense.

Now the question is, is Benning or his scouts better talent evaluators. Normally outside the first round the scouts have free reign over the picks. Vancouver has been terrible at drafting outside the first round. 3 picks in the past 10 years have made it to 100 games. (Edmonton sitting at 7).

So as much as I'm not a Broberg fan, id take Vancouver's scouts opinions with a very fine grain of salt.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Broberg apparently hasn't been a defender long so him playing like a forward makes sense.

Now the question is, is Benning or his scouts better talent evaluators. Normally outside the first round the scouts have free reign over the picks. Vancouver has been terrible at drafting outside the first round. 3 picks in the past 10 years have made it to 100 games. (Edmonton sitting at 7).

So as much as I'm not a Broberg fan, id take Vancouver's scouts opinions with a very fine grain of salt.

Take what JD Burke said with a truck load of salt. When he started talking about Jonathen Dahlin and how he wanted out of Vancouver. Dahlin did not want to be in North America, he gave it a shot and made it clear he wanted to go home to Sweden. Dahlin also wanted out of the Sens organization. The kid got home sick for Sweden

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011

Seems like Vancouver's first round picks have panned out at least decently recently, only one that comes to mind that's questionable is Juolevi (we'll see).

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Seems like Vancouver's first round picks have panned out at least decently recently, only one that comes to mind that's questionable is Juolevi (we'll see).
The same can be said about the Oilers

2013-Nurse
2014-Drai
2015-McDavid
2017-Yamo

2016 is still in pending. Same as the Nucks

Reactions: Oilhawks

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017

Bouchard and McLeod responded to that:

EazgH1JUwAAZRC6

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
Tomas Monten, Sweden's head coach at the World Juniors, spoke with Mark Masters at TSN about Broberg's development

Tomas Monten on top Swedish prospects, Philip Broberg’s improvement - TSN.ca

When we spoke about Oilers prospect Philip Broberg last summer you said that playing defence with Skelleftea would help him, because he would need to play more of a shutdown role. What development did you see in him?

"He's been more thorough. He can still move the puck and skate the puck and can create offence, but he just makes better reads and knows when to go and try and skate through situations. He's a little smarter and knows when to check the puck and when he can make plays. He got to play a lot in defensive situations both with us and Skelleftea. He played a lot of PK for us and played with [Tobias] Bjornfot on our first pairing and played a lot against top lines and that's what he needs to do to make the NHL. I mean, he's always going to have his skating and he has the skills to skate the puck and break the systems down, but for him to play in the NHL he needs to play the whole ice and that's what he learned this year."​

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
At worst, Broberg will be a pretty valuable trade chip down the road. Nurse could also be moved to the right side.

Nurse, Bear, Bouchard at RD
Klefbom, Samourkov, Broberg at LD
Agreed. Broberg is a long-term prospect. I wouldn't expect him in NA until the 2021-22 season at the very earliest. His NHL ETA runs parallel to the timelines where Klefbom and Nurse are seeking new deals.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Tomas Monten, Sweden's head coach at the World Juniors, spoke with Mark Masters at TSN about Broberg's development

Tomas Monten on top Swedish prospects, Philip Broberg’s improvement - TSN.ca

When we spoke about Oilers prospect Philip Broberg last summer you said that playing defence with Skelleftea would help him, because he would need to play more of a shutdown role. What development did you see in him?

"He's been more thorough. He can still move the puck and skate the puck and can create offence, but he just makes better reads and knows when to go and try and skate through situations. He's a little smarter and knows when to check the puck and when he can make plays. He got to play a lot in defensive situations both with us and Skelleftea. He played a lot of PK for us and played with [Tobias] Bjornfot on our first pairing and played a lot against top lines and that's what he needs to do to make the NHL. I mean, he's always going to have his skating and he has the skills to skate the puck and break the systems down, but for him to play in the NHL he needs to play the whole ice and that's what he learned this year."​

That's why I liked him staying in Sweden. He wouldn't have learned how to play defense in OHL.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
I hope this kid puts a lot of critics to bed for the Oilers and Holland for taking him.
I'm sure there will still be some posters who show up and point at his limited point totals and act like they've watched him play.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I'm sure there will still be some posters who show up and point at his limited point totals and act like they've watched him play.
I'm more than willing and humble enough to eat crow when I'm wrong like I was with Yamamoto (still have concerns about his size and his longevity but Imma enjoy his game either way). Either way it'll be a few years before he sees NHL minutes so we got some time left

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
Broberg still reminds me of 1 of these 2 things

- Ristolainen but less talented offensively

- Nurse without the toughness

I always felt like Nurse + Ristolainen were similar players with gaps in offensive ability, Nurse is better in 1v1 defending scenarios.

Broberg's ceiling is in that range.

I personally find both Nurse and Ristolainen as overrated guys, but they play a top 4 role in the NHL. Broberg has a shot at that still for sure, and wow is he built. It's going to be all about his IQ.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Broberg still reminds me of 1 of these 2 things

- Ristolainen but less talented offensively

- Nurse without the toughness

I always felt like Nurse + Ristolainen were similar players with gaps in offensive ability, Nurse is better in 1v1 defending scenarios.

Broberg's ceiling is in that range.

I personally find both Nurse and Ristolainen as overrated guys, but they play a top 4 role in the NHL. Broberg has a shot at that still for sure, and wow is he built. It's going to be all about his IQ.
You think his CEILING is a Shitty version of Ristolainen?

Reactions: ImJustJokinen

Todd Parchment

Apr 5, 2018
??????????? Is this your form of sarcasm? He is Klefbom 2.0
No, he has the potential to be that good or at least have that style of play. Not even close to being a Klefbom style player. Just because he is Swedish and good looking....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad