2019 College Free Agents

sincerity0

Dec 23, 2016
I’m not sure how appealing the Sabres are right now to UDFAs. Buffalo has a bunch of dead weight on the roster and a bunch of middling prospects clogging up the pipeline. Most teams are in on the top guys because they’re essentially free.

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
I’m not sure how appealing the Sabres are right now to UDFAs. Buffalo has a bunch of dead weight on the roster and a bunch of middling prospects clogging up the pipeline. Most teams are in on the top guys because they’re essentially free.
Buffalo should be a top destination as there are so many spots to win

Reactions: brian_griffin

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

If they recruit properly, they can point at someone like Sobotka not returning as a possible option for someone like Sturm to be first in line for roster contention. It isn't how they have said they operate, but looking at the shenanigans with Thompson and Mittelstadt, it's not hard to imagine making the team even if one's play isn't completely to NHL standard. That said, Sturm is pretty solid and should be top of the list.

Granted, the brand has certainly taken a hit with Botterill running things, even moreso than with Murray's tomfoolery. Favoritism is a bad look.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I have never watched Jobst but 5'8 and 25 years old standout. Does he have NHL potential?

Separate question, is there a college UFA goalie or European goalie worth taking a flyer on this offseason?

Shepard or Morris for goalie. Edit: forgot Galajda from Cornell too.

As for Jobst, thinking more Rochester like Andy Miele a few years ago. Buffalo could use a high-motor offensive catalyst at center in Rochester. And if he is able to make the jump one day? Great.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY

When you are in no way a credible NHL organization and the people running your team do everything to prove to would-be College UFA's that they basically won't even be given a chance to make the team this is the price you pay. Horrible team, horrible organization, no chance for quick career advancement: Why would ANYONE choose to come here?

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
That's one of the many downsides if you're not committed to winning like the foggy long term approach..
Plus not firing the coach...
Players look at the record and if they look closer they see underperforming vets getting the nod over better younger players...why on earth would anybody sign here..that's the worst case scenario for a young player..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad