2019 College Free Agents

Baccus

Garage League filled with Mickey Mouse teams
Feb 18, 2014

Also mentions Edmonton and Ottawa going after Veronneau.

Baccus

Garage League filled with Mickey Mouse teams
Feb 18, 2014
So does a college FA look at buffalo as a place of opportunity at this point?

I think Buffalo would be seen as an opportunity, if they feel they play a position they can break in on. I'd hope the majority of them are realistic in that they won't just walk on to the NHL team (outside of a few end of season games as a bonus or whatever) and secure a position, but that they'd have to probably put in some AHL time etc.

Though as you look at signings around the league, I often think it's the players relationships with team people/the pitch the teams make more of an impact than actually looking at the roster and being like, oh they have no RW depth, so that's perfect for me.

Last edited:

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
So does a college FA look at buffalo as a place of opportunity at this point?

Torn on this -- the opportunity from an outside perspective has to be that the team is a talent desert and should be a place to make the show but at the same time the current front office is ridiculously slow-moving and the opportunity to play is not afforded to those who may have followed a similar path (C.J. Smith, Lawrence Pilut) despite appearing to be ready and able for the NHL. And torn is not a positive.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
Torn on this -- the opportunity from an outside perspective has to be that the team is a talent desert and should be a place to make the show but at the same time the current front office is ridiculously slow-moving and the opportunity to play is not afforded to those who may have followed a similar path (C.J. Smith, Lawrence Pilut) despite appearing to be ready and able for the NHL. And torn is not a positive.
Both those guys have seen pretty good NHL action. Nelson and ERod have made it to the big club. I think Oglevie is still developing and Antipin is really the only undrafted failure.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
Though as you look at signings around the league, I often think it's the players relationships with team people/the pitch the teams make more of an impact than actually looking at the roster and being like, oh they have no RW depth, so that's perfect for me.

Maybe - they are certainly looking hard at organizations and quality of life.

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
upload_2019-3-13_18-3-0.png

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Something that does not sell this team on UDFA's is the possibility that the front office will be turned over again. Promises made for playing time and opportunity go with the departing staff.

DolanPlsGoSabres

スカンデッラ
Mar 17, 2013
Nagoya
Something that does not sell this team on UDFA's is the possibility that the front office will be turned over again. Promises made for playing time and opportunity go with the departing staff.

The negotiations probably go...

Botts: "Hey college UFA, will you come to Buffalo? We'll give you a chance to play NHL minutes! Look at our dire depth!"

Kid: "Will I really play over Sobotka? Seems like coach Housley plays him over some of the other young guys in your system."

Botts: "Phil and I communicate a lot..."

*Hangs up*

Reactions: sabremike

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
The negotiations probably go...

Botts: "Hey college UFA, will you come to Buffalo? We'll give you a chance to play NHL minutes! Look at our dire depth!"

Kid: "Will I really play over Sobotka? Seems like coach Housley plays him over some of the other young guys in your system."

Botts: "Phil and I communicate a lot..."

*Hangs up*
They communicate just by using chewing gum noises so it's sometimes hard understand each other

Reactions: sabremike

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I'd very much like Lukas Craggs, in the same way I was hoping for Andrew Sturtz from last year's crop. Get some players who make it hard to play against in the system. Foster that. Get some depth guys who will skate through a wall instead of the daisy curl capital of the hockey world that is the Buffalo Sabres.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad