2019 College Free Agents

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Dylan McLaughlin (Canisius) has a shot. The Rangers had him in their development camp last year. I'd hate to lose a local kid to the rags.

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
I've seen a fair amount of of talk here about Nico Sturm, numbers are good but he's also 23, in fact almost 24 already. Seems to project as a quality bottom 6 center.

No “but” about it. Tell him he’s starting with the Sabres for the rest of the season and that he has a leg up on a full time spot next year.

Reactions: Der Jaeger

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Hunter Shepard was at dev camp and is a very good goalie for UMD again. Obviously Sturm, who is an excellent defensive player already and could perhaps plug-and-play as a checking line guy almost immediately. And then there is the tandem of Kuffner and Veronneau who have played together for what? six years now? So sign both and put them on either side of an established center and see what they could do. Or not. There is also Grant Hutton, RHD and captain at Miami of Ohio.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I've seen a fair amount of of talk here about Nico Sturm, numbers are good but he's also 23, in fact almost 24 already. Seems to project as a quality bottom 6 center.

I expect him to be a bottom 6 center at the NHL level.

I don't believe it will take him that long until he's a 3rd or 4th line NHL center.

Reactions: Chainshot

Bologna 1

Aug 5, 2006
Joseph Duszak from Mercyhurst another name to keep an eye on. RH shot offensive defenseman.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Lukas Craggs might be a good fit too -- someone to work along side the fourth line and forecheck like a demon. Lots of sand in his game. Bigger Caguila is the vibe I get watching him.

Last edited:

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
https://www.tsn.ca/a-closer-look-at-the-ncaa-free-agent-crop-1.1269863

Connor Mackey, Minnesota State - Mankato
Mackey has six goals and 22 points in 36 games with the Mavericks this season. The 22-year-old sophomore has a plus-11 rating on the year while leading the team's defencemen in points.
The 6-foot-2, 183-pound blueliner scored four goals and posted 12 points in 40 games last season while being named to the WCHA All-Rookie Team.
Mackey attended Buffalo Sabres development camp last summer, and worked with the Calgary Flames in 2017 after being named the USHL defenceman of the year.
“I’m a late bloomer for sure,” Mackey told the Mankato Free Press last summer. “I was never projected to be drafted.”

MayDayMayDay

But what is grief, if not love persevering?
Feb 22, 2012
Peoria, AZ
Sturm would be a solid get. I really like Nick Jones. Plays a very similar game to Andrew Shaw, except not a total d-bag. He's the kind of guy that can provide that spark of emotion when we need it, either by mucking it up with an opposing player or chipping in a timely goal.

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
Cale Morris, G (Notre Dame) if available is someone I'd still love to see sign in Buffalo. The goalie depth you have the better off. He cannot be any worse than Johansson in the ECHL. I don't typically follow these kids until this time of the year, but here's hoping for a Sturm, Morris meeting of the mind.

Reactions: Freeeeedom

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
I watched a couple of Michigan State games in person and Taro Hirose was noticeably their best player. I'd love to see him come here. Name is a bonus. Sturm would be nice too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad