2019 College Free Agents

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
Jake Kielly and Brandon Biro both attended Dev camp last year. I wonder if either comes in as FA.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
This is essentialy a way to get what amounts to an extra 1st, 2nd or 3rd round pick for nothing, so of course we aren't going to be in on anyone because our organization is run by incompetent morons.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
This is essentialy a way to get what amounts to an extra 1st, 2nd or 3rd round pick for nothing, so of course we aren't going to be in on anyone because our organization is run by incompetent morons.

Honestly, I wouldn't sign in Buffalo if I was one of these UFAs. The roster is clogged with unproductive vets who've kept deserving younger players stuck in the AHL. I suppose you could hope to get the Botts Treatment a la Casey and Tage - no AHL evaaaaaaaaa - but if the stated plan was to start you in the AHL (which it should be for those players), would you feel confident in a call-up in this organization?

Deleted member 27798

Maybe, just maybe, some of these guys just want to play somewhere other than "Hockey Heaven". But don't let that get in the way of your opinion.

sabremike

Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Maybe, just maybe, some of these guys just want to play somewhere other than "Hockey Heaven". But don't let that get in the way of your opinion.
Yup our organization is brilliantly run. The fact that a fluke 10 game run is the only thing that will prevent a second straight 31st place finish proves that. Oh and if you aren't aware that has a lot to do with us being an undesirable organization to come to.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Eh, I have hopes for the European league guys and Sturm’s and Cragg’s seasons continue. So far there has been no spurning and no one who seem like a must have. I would expect them to get a player or two but the concerns about the way they handle players we see may have a factor in possible decisions to sign in B’lo.

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
Yup our organization is brilliantly run. The fact that a fluke 10 game run is the only thing that will prevent a second straight 31st place finish proves that. Oh and if you aren't aware that has a lot to do with us being an undesirable organization to come to.

Yea we never ever sign free agent prospects.

NEcoli

Apr 13, 2014

They literally sign college free agents almost every season. The organization is a mess, there're plenty of valid criticisms that can be levied against them without exaggerating or going over the top.

sabremike

Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
They literally sign college free agents almost every season. The organization is a mess, there're plenty of valid criticisms that can be levied against them without exaggerating or going over the top.
In years past yes. I went and looked at both the Sabres and Amerks rosters and could only find one College UFA signed by Botts and the guy is ECHL fodder. The most prominent one we have ever signed was ERod and that was by Murray.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls

This is going to hurt me a lot more than it hurts you (not really)
thank.jpg

Reactions: sabremike

Gras

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix
In years past yes. I went and looked at both the Sabres and Amerks rosters and could only find one College UFA signed by Botts and the guy is ECHL fodder. The most prominent one we have ever signed was ERod and that was by Murray.
So Botts was around for 1 Year of College UDFA's and he signed one. That sounds like he's batting a thousand.

sabremike

Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
If I seem real cranky today it's because I am going to the game on Wendsday fully expecting us to get killed while watching the most awful people on the planet celebrate.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
If I seem real cranky today it's because I am going to the game on Wendsday fully expecting us to get killed while watching the most awful people on the planet celebrate.

Laugh. The Leafs are internally decomposing. Babcock isn't happy, Matthews isn't the leader they thought, and the Toronto media is still the same. The circus is just getting started.

NEcoli

Apr 13, 2014

Could be worse. I'm going to the game with my younger brother....a Leafs fan.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

UDFA's on the team or in the system under the last two GM's include Casey Nelson (TM), Lawrence Pilut (JB), CJ Smith (TM), Andrew Oglevie (JB), Yannick Veilleux (JB), and Myles Powell (JB) have all dressed for the Sabres or Amerks this year and were acquired in that fashion. They were on the short list for guys like Butcher, Brickley and Caggiula and they were hunting Veronneau and Kuffner last season. There are plenty of reasons to beat up on this team, yet they will sign some people and they may turn up some unknown gems. And there will be misses -- Antipin didn't work out, Oglevie's had injury problems, Danforth bolted for Europe -- but they will sign some people.

You are correct, it is a way to augment thin depth, akin to turning up additional draft picks. I suspect they are hunting in the European leagues but it wouldn't surprise me if they have more than just Kurt Gosselin on their radar.

sabremike

Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Then how do you classify Oglevie's status coming out of ND?
OK I missed that one looking at the Amerks roster. I'm just hoping after looking at his stats there's an explanation as to why he has only played in roughly a third of their games

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
UDFA's on the team or in the system under the last two GM's include Casey Nelson (TM), Lawrence Pilut (JB), CJ Smith (TM), Andrew Oglevie (JB), Yannick Veilleux (JB), and Myles Powell (JB) have all dressed for the Sabres or Amerks this year and were acquired in that fashion. They were on the short list for guys like Butcher, Brickley and Caggiula and they were hunting Veronneau and Kuffner last season. There are plenty of reasons to beat up on this team, yet they will sign some people and they may turn up some unknown gems. And there will be misses -- Antipin didn't work out, Oglevie's had injury problems, Danforth bolted for Europe -- but they will sign some people.

You are correct, it is a way to augment thin depth, akin to turning up additional draft picks. I suspect they are hunting in the European leagues but it wouldn't surprise me if they have more than just Kurt Gosselin on their radar.
Erod

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad