2019 Around the League

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
Remember when the Oilers won the lottery for McDavid and 1/4 of the board was on suicide watch? Remember when everyone who wasn't completely devastated by the news was an idiot?

The Oilers today are as much of a joke as ever and it is funny :)

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
From watching the game between the Oilers and Canucks last week..Both teams looked pretty even to me (although, we were missing our star player)..The only difference are expectations, they are expected to make the playoffs, we are not.

The only (big) difference is that they have been at this sucking stuff for a decade longer than us.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Remember when the Oilers won the lottery for McDavid and 1/4 of the board was on suicide watch? Remember when everyone who wasn't completely devastated by the news was an idiot?

The Oilers today are as much of a joke as ever and it is funny :)

Was that the year (s1 of McDavid) when they made playoffs? Or was it right after?

I remember that was literally when NOTHING went wrong, everyone overachieved the hell out of themselves, and they were able to get into playoff round 2.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
the Oilers are likely the most poorly constructed team in the cap era considering they have a generational talent, over the cap, and no where close to being a cup contending team.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
I hope I'm wrong, but barring some serious injuries, I still think it's pretty inevitable the Oilers turn it around sooner rather than later (remember, they continue to get rewarded each year with high picks, on a roster that already has McDavid), and I think a lot of the hubris here reeks of tempting fate. How many guys that good just go through a whole career without eventually making a serious run?

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
I hope I'm wrong, but barring some serious injuries, I still think it's pretty inevitable the Oilers turn it around sooner rather than later (remember, they continue to get rewarded each year with high picks, on a roster that already has McDavid), and I think a lot of the hubris here reeks of tempting fate. How many guys that good just go through a whole career without eventually making a serious run?

Have you seen their cap situation and prospect cupboard? It's absolutely putrid. It'll take at least a few more years before they make any noise.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby

Even if they do go on a serious run it's not gonna be a big deal. Because they have mother f***ing McDavid.

It's like giving someone a Death Star when everyone else is using bronze swords - you're EXPECTED to beat everyone by a huge margin.

Instead, that team's been shooting themselves in the foot, over and over and over again.

With said Death Star.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
the Oilers are likely the most poorly constructed team in the cap era considering they have a generational talent, over the cap, and no where close to being a cup contending team.

They already have one solid line to start with because of McDavid. Stick 2 bums with him and it’s still a good line. He made Maroon a 30 goal scorer and is doing the same with Chaison. You essentially have 1 default good line to begin because 97 is the best player in the world. It shouldn’t be this difficult to construct an above average roster behind him. Countless 1st overall picks were awarded to them. Oilers should have been the greatest dynasty in modern sports history with that amount of 1st overall picks instead they are the biggest laughingstock in modern sports history.

Reactions: ErrantShepherd

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
They’ll make the playoffs soon but with over half the teams in the league making the playoffs how much of an accomplishment is that?
I mean we went something like 1-11 in one stretch and we’re still in the hunt.

Hollywood Burrows

Jan 23, 2009
EAST VANCOUVER
The Canucks are basically going through their own busted version of the Oilers 16-17 season right now, pushing for the playoffs with a trash lineup propped up by a superstar centre and hot goaltending. It's easy to imagine a few more seasons of Jim Benning/Aqua management playing out the same way the last few years have gone for the Oilers, with Elias/Brock/Bo like a low rent Mcdavid/Draisaitl/RNH.

OR they could avoid the mistakes Edmonton made after their fluke playoff run and stay the course! We'll see!!!

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
I remember when Chiarelli was the GM of the year candidate, think that was the year they made playoffs.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Edmonton will fire their GM. Aquilini won’t. Again, I don’t think we have the upper hand as a fanbase.
Edmonton has gone through multiple GMs and still leave Lowe and company in charge.
They can fire Chia but nothing will change. If Vancouver had 4 first overall picks and another high pick in PoolParty there is no way we’d be that bad. In fact, I think your average HF poster couldn’t do that bad if they tried.
So yeah. There’s no comparison.
I don’t think there’s another comparison in all of pro sports.

geebaan

7th round busted
Oct 27, 2012
Holy shit. Edmonton lowering the bar on GM’ing once again.

Like I have to remind myself it could always be worse lol. What on f***ing earth has Koskinen done to deserve that contract lololol

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
Edmonton will fire their GM. Aquilini won’t. Again, I don’t think we have the upper hand as a fanbase.
It doesn’t matter, all those old boys are still in their management group, they will find another muppet that fit their philosophy.

At least JB hasn’t made a catastrophic mistake since Eriksson’s contract. Even the Gudbrabson extension deal was sort of salvageable

Reactions: WetcoastOrca
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad