2019 Around the League

Status
Not open for further replies.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
We won't know if he was "worth it" until we see how much more value he's worth than his 8.5 during his Ufa eligible seasons.

Doing some quick math, you have to hope he is a 14m or so player during those seasons for them to break even on paying him so much during his rfa years.
Remember that despite him playing out his ELC, he only earned 2 years towards free agency because his 1st year ELC didn't count towards free agency. He had 5 RFA years left. I would say that if he's worth $10-$11 million in his UFA years, that's $30-33 million of the $68 million. Leaves $35-$38 million over their 5 RFA years. So, between $7 million to $7.6 million for RFA years.

I had expected him to land in the Tarasenko range of $7.5 million, but that was already 2 years in, so a bump to $8 million for 8 years would seem about right. So, it's not a massive overpay. Not like Lucic.

His contract is going to be fine, given that I expect the 2019 RFA class to go and get paid.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Remember that despite him playing out his ELC, he only earned 2 years towards free agency because his 1st year ELC didn't count towards free agency. He had 5 RFA years left. So, by your math, of the $68 million, you want 3 years @ $14 million so, $42 million, so that leaves $26 million for 5 years, so $5.2 million per during RFA years?

His contract is going to be fine, given that I expect the 2019 RFA class to go and get paid.

That still seems high doesn't it. I wasn't considering 5 rfa years. If youre correct about that, then they are unlikely to come out ahead on this contract I would say.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Rattie and Spooner waived. Two new players incoming?

I don't mind giving Rattie a try.

Although...remember Benning was super into Spooner?

In any case, I won't lose any sleep if we didn't pick up either.

Chiarelli's probably peed his pants trying to keep his job.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
That still seems high doesn't it. I wasn't considering 5 rfa years. If youre correct about that, then they are unlikely to come out ahead on this contract I would say.
Look at cap friendly. On his contract, he has a NMC and modified NTC starting in year 6 of his contract. He wasn't on the Oilers roster for half the season in the 14-15 year, so he only burned his 1st year ELC but didn't gain a year towards free agency.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
I'd actually happily take Spooner if it means we could flip Beagle or Sutter. We're like 9 months removed from rumours of trading a significant asset (relatively speaking of course) for Spooner.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Hey help me clarify something cause...I really don't know this. If we pick up a waived player, such as Rattie, then he cannot be sent to AHL without passing through waiver again, is that correct?

That is correct. A player cannot be assigned to the AHL until he has cleared, and if we claim him then he has not cleared and still needs to clear. There could have been other teams who put in a claim but had lower priority than us.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
That is correct. A player cannot be assigned to the AHL until he has cleared, and if we claim him then he has not cleared and still needs to clear.

Cool thanks for the clarification. I'm like... a rock when it comes to rules that are even slightly off the most obvious ones...

In any case, I would really give Rattie some consideration. I think he still has potential to do some good.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Cool thanks for the clarification. I'm like... a rock when it comes to rules that are even slightly off the most obvious ones...

In any case, I would really give Rattie some consideration. I think he still has potential to do some good.

I would probably claim Rattie but I bet they claim Spooner.

$20 they claim Spooner; any takers?

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
We don't need to claim anyone to waive Schaller and Granlund, replacing them with Gaunce and MacEwen will be enough of an upgrade.

I feel that Rattie still deserves a shot.

He's not the first prospect to be ruined by that parasite of a team. If our culture is strong as some say it is, I can see Rattie turning his game around here.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I feel that Rattie still deserves a shot.

He's not the first prospect to be ruined by that parasite of a team. If our culture is strong as some say it is, I can see Rattie turning his game around here.
Rattie turns 26 in Feb. He's also been with STL and CAR prior to EDM. So, where he is today isn't because he arrived in EDM when he was 24.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Rattie turns 26 in Feb. He's also been with STL and CAR prior to EDM. So, where he is today isn't because he arrived in EDM when he was 24.

Good point.

I say I wanna see him here because of what he displayed in pre-season, and wanna see what our players and Green can get out of him. But if we don't claim him I'm definitely not gonna lose any sleep.

Watched McDavid answer questions on TSN, kid looks like he's dying inside...

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Spooners cap hit is insane for his role..................big NO for me.
Rattie is a nice talent but purely a top6 player. Hasn't been able to make it work as the pace goes up..............another NO

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Rattie is cheap, $800,000. He also is on a 1-yr contract. Take a flyer and see if he's able to be reclaimed to a level better than the more costly bottom scruff you have. NO? Then don't re-sign him or even dump him in a TDL deal as a throw-in. The worst that happens is just waive him again. If he clears, see what Cull can do with him.

Spooner has a big tag, $4mil, and another year on that contract. Not a wise pickup.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad