2019 Around the League

Status
Not open for further replies.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
The scariest thing to have is poor ownership. I mean you can blame Lowe, MAC, Chia etc but in the end it’s Katz who hires these clowns and lets them ruin the team.
You can fix a bad GM or a bad coach but you can’t fix bad ownership. It’s a franchise killer. See Ballard in Toronto, the former owner of the Chicago Blackhawks, Melnyk in Ottawa etc.
You fired Chia nothing really change
Lowe, MacT, Coffey...all those guys are still employed.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
The scariest thing to have is poor ownership. I mean you can blame Lowe, MAC, Chia etc but in the end it’s Katz who hires these clowns and lets them ruin the team.
You can fix a bad GM or a bad coach but you can’t fix bad ownership. It’s a franchise killer. See Ballard in Toronto, the former owner of the Chicago Blackhawks etc.
Ballard was FAR, FAR, FAR worse. The Leafs actually had the foundations of a good team in place. Just needed some 'fine tuning' not a wrecking ball that Ballard employed.

Oilers were terrible prior to Katz. Katz just drove it off a cliff & kept stepping on the gas peddle.

At least that's how I look at it.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
Hopefully they can stay close enough to do something detrimental before the deadline.

It's quite hilarious how deep of a mess that team is in right now. They probably shouldn't be trading any of the few remaining precious young assets for immediate help, but they really do need to surround McDavid with more talent.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Oh how I thought they were on the rise after making the second round. That came crashing down fast.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
Its actually quite impressive that Benning is going to outlast his previous Boss, Chiarelli given that Chia has the best player on the planet as well.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
The Oilers apparently have their 1st on the block...I still cannot see how 1 or 2 players is going to turn that team around...The goaltending is inconsistent for a start.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
The Oilers apparently have their 1st on the block...I still cannot see how 1 or 2 players is going to turn that team around...The goaltending is inconsistent for a start.
Amazing how many bad moves PC made in a short period of time. First year after having McDavid he then decides to make some big time moves.

Are the pro scouts who recommended Reinhart still employed by the team?
Trading Hall
Signing Lucic

I know a lot of people blame him for the Draisitl contract and I do agree that he overpaid. His biggest challenge that summer was having to convince McDavid to wait for him to sign Draisitl before he could begin contract talks with him. Draisitl banked on McDavid signing after his 2nd season since he lost 1/2 his rookie year to the broken collar bone and would want the security of a contract before year 3. So, lucky for him that McDavid and the Oilers signed around the first week of July. Gave Draisitl the numbers to get something better. Oilers had to sign McDavid when they did.

Imagine if they didn't. And they have to wait until the season like the Leafs and Nylander to get Leon signed. McDavid sees the wheels come off to start the year, does he then say, hey, I don't want a max term contract, let's do something shorter in the 4 year range. Is that worth the $1 - $1.5 million per savings on the Leon contract? Realistically, Leon is over paid by around $1 million as Tarasenko landed $7.5 million per for 8 years. If McDavid only wanted a 4 year deal, then after this season they really would have him for 2 more years as I doubt they would go into the final year of his contract without an extension signed. And if they are still in their current mess, he could be gone.

Reactions: Pastor Of Muppetz

hellstick

Nov 2, 2006
Abbotsford
Ducks lose again.

How the mighty Ryan Kessler has fallen, apparently he doesn’t want to be traded..want to cash in those checks now.
"I don’t want to go anywhere. I love my teammates. I have a family, you take that into account. If we are going into a rebuild, I’m going to do my best to teach the kids how to be a pro and how to win."

f*** you, Kesler.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
"I don’t want to go anywhere. I love my teammates. I have a family, you take that into account. If we are going into a rebuild, I’m going to do my best to teach the kids how to be a pro and how to win."

**** you, Kesler.

Kesler had about 2 cracks going to the Finals, lost to the Hawks and Preds.

His body is broken now, doubt any Canucks fans will be sorry for his trash ass

Reactions: nucks88

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
How exactly is Draisaitl overpaid, the dude is on pace for almost 110 points, he’s an absolute monster.

Overpaid in the sense that EDM, based on contract signings around the league at the time of the deal didn't support giving him $8.5 million per. But, when you do a long term deal for 8 years, you're likely to see if pay off with a talented player. Anytime you do a long term deal, you accept that years 1-2 might be overpayment, but you get a discount near the end, so it evens out.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
Draisaitl was top 10 in scoring in 2016/2017 and had a phenomenal playoff where he completely outplayed McDavid.

He was worth that contract from the second it was signed.

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
How exactly is Draisaitl overpaid, the dude is on pace for almost 110 points, he’s an absolute monster.

He's not on pace for 110 points. It's about 100 and it's all because of McDavid.

To me, he's about 1 million overpaid. He should be in the Tarasenko range.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Draisaitl was top 10 in scoring in 2016/2017 and had a phenomenal playoff where he completely outplayed McDavid.

He was worth that contract from the second it was signed.

We won't know if he was "worth it" until we see how much more value he's worth than his 8.5 during his Ufa eligible seasons.

Doing some quick math, you have to hope he is a 14m or so player during those seasons for them to break even on paying him so much during his rfa years.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
We won't know if he was "worth it" until we see how much more value he's worth than his 8.5 during his Ufa eligible seasons.

Doing some quick math, you have to hope he is a 14m or so player during those seasons for them to break even on paying him so much during his rfa years.
You have to factor in "having to play in Edmonton with these management clowns" means you have overpay/pay a premium. David Clarkson turned down a higher offer from the Oilers (and chose the Leafs).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad