2019 Around the League V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
Edmonton Media are savages, absolutely amazing questions 1 after another for bob, he was rattled to the core, had no answers.
Good; that's the way it should be.

Given they had 4 #1's in 6 years including drafting the best player in the game, they have completely f***ed up that team.

The Oilers have gone ass backwards and especially with Calgary doing as well as they have this year, I don't blame the media for ripping them a new one.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Good; that's the way it should be.

Given they had 4 #1's in 6 years including drafting the best player in the game, they have completely ****ed up that team.

The Oilers have gone ass backwards and especially with Calgary doing as well as they have this year, I don't blame the media for ripping them a new one.

Calgary is what Edmonton should be, it's the other way around now.
You can tell why the Edmonton media is lashing out to management, they don't want to be out staged by the guys down south.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Brackett is a professional and obviously wants to further his career. We should absolutely give him a promotion and big pay raise to retain him.
Burke was on the radio saying that the Edmonton GM job is no job for a rookie GM to 'learn on the job'..He said a big cleanup is in order (and no..he's not interested himself in the job).

It doesn't sound to me like Brackett's the guy...

Reactions: daddyohsix

member 290103

Burke was on the radio saying that the Edmonton GM job is no job for a rookie GM to 'learn on the job'..He said a big cleanup is in order (and no..he's not interested himself in the job).

Trevor Linden needs work and is now experienced? What about Wiesbrod? He’s good to go.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Bob Nicholson seems like a big time moron, along with (obviously) MacTavish and Lowe who still hold positions there.

They need to seriously clean the **** out of that house.

Nicholson doesn't really fall into the same category just yet. He was the outsider brought in, I believe he used to be the president of Hockey Canada, and Chiarelli seemed like an appropriate GM hire at the time. Giving the new guy 3.5 years is well in line, and he probably wouldn't have the approval from ownership to really clean house of all the old guard there.

Not necessarily saying he's great, just that it's not something you can really determine if he's as bad as Lowe/Mactavish/Chiarelli. He's the team President, not the GM.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Nicholson doesn't really fall into the same category just yet. He was the outsider brought in, I believe he used to be the president of Hockey Canada, and Chiarelli seemed like an appropriate GM hire at the time. Giving the new guy 3.5 years is well in line, and he probably wouldn't have the approval from ownership to really clean house of all the old guard there.

Not necessarily saying he's great, just that it's not something you can really determine if he's as bad as Lowe/Mactavish/Chiarelli. He's the team President, not the GM.

Oh I know, but he's been in the public eye for a long time and has always seemed like moron.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

I would say that the Edmonton job can go to a rookie GM, so long as he was doing an apprenticeship with a strong team, like Yzerman did in Detroit alongside Holland, learning the ins and outs of the operation of the franchise. Brackett, if he's primarily been focussed on scouting, might not have right now the tools to clean up the bad contracts that they have on the books. Kind of like Benning, in that he didn't have the hands on day to day operations down for the GM in 2014.

A retread GM isn't necessary, but they definitely need someone who has been a right hand man type for a few years in a good organization.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Posted this on Twitter. McDavid getting points on 52% of his team's goals would be historically significant.

TeamYearPlayerPointsTeamGoalsPctTeamGoals
PIT1988-89Mario Lemieux199 34757%
PIT1987-88Mario Lemieux168 31953%
PIT1998-99Jaromir Jagr127 24252%
EDM1984-85Wayne Gretzky208 40152%
EDM2018-19Connor McDavid73 14152%
EDM1981-82Wayne Gretzky212 41751%
EDM1985-86Wayne Gretzky215 42650%
EDM1980-81Wayne Gretzky164 32850%
ANA1998-99Teemu Selanne107 21550%
DET1988-89Steve Yzerman155 31350%
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Last edited:

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco

Nicholson came in and kicked Lowe out of hockey ops, he brought in a total outsider in Chiarelli and let him sideline existing guys like MacTavish and whatnot. When it came to bring in 'his own guys' Chiarelli hired...Keith Gretzky, which really undermined a lot of the work Nicholson had done.

Reactions: timw33

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
The season Nicholson joined the Oilers was so optimistic if I remember correctly. They just drafted Hall and RNH first overall and had another incoming first overall. They won the Schultz sweepstakes. They “won” the Eakins sweepstakes. Even Nicholson joining was seen as a nice move. Oh how times change. Although funny enough, all that ineptitude led to them getting McDavid. But then came the Chia...

Reactions: CanuckCity

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017

I dont think that Nicholson has taken nearly enough heat..Chiarelli was his guy, his signing...and he presided over all those bad trades.

Reactions: sting101

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Nicholson is a complete moron. Have been saying this for 15 years.

Cut from the exact same cloth as Tambellini - wears sharp suits, has the right friends with Hockey Canada, can give superficially well-spoken interviews that display no actual knowledge whatsoever, and doesn’t understand hockey at all.

Reactions: Belieber

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
Flames Nation has a biting satirical eulogy to the Peter Chiarelli era in Edmonton which I found a hilarious read. It is at FlamesNation mourns the passing of Peter Chiarelli’s tenure as Oilers GM

Some excerpts:

"Peter was a generous man, always giving others everything he could and asking for little in return."

"I think back to the GMs of Oilers in years past who had neglected to take action on the struggling Oilers defence. Well, Peter had barely been introduced before he nabbed top prospect Griffin Reinhart from the New York Islanders. Almost a year to the day later, he went and acquired Adam Larsson, an important top four defenceman."

"NHLers facing the uncertainty of old age and declining market interest could always turn to Chiarelli, a lighthouse for stormy seas. Under Chiarelli, players could not only find the financial security to provide for their grandchildren’s grandchildren, ..."

"Whenever Edmontonians hear the names Milan, Kris, Taylor, or Adam, they’ll have no choice but to think back to the glory years of 2015 to 2019."

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Nicholson is a complete moron. Have been saying this for 15 years.

Cut from the exact same cloth as Tambellini - wears sharp suits, has the right friends with Hockey Canada, can give superficially well-spoken interviews that display no actual knowledge whatsoever, and doesn’t understand hockey at all.
Sounds like me minus the suits and connections.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
So I was looking up some random hockey stuff on the internet to waste some time.
Then I saw “Bob Bourne, former NYI who’s married to Briana, daughter of former NYI teammate and NHL all star Clark Gillis.”
I was like “ Oh, there’s must be a big age gap between Bob and Clark.”

But then I looked up their Wikipedia pages, both of them were born in 1954.
Oh......what a duidfrent age it was

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
So I was looking up some random hockey stuff on the internet to waste some time.
Then I saw “Bob Bourne, former NYI who’s married to Briana, daughter of former NYI teammate and NHL all star Clark Gillis.”
I was like “ Oh, there’s must be a big age gap between Bob and Clark.”

But then I looked up their Wikipedia pages, both of them were born in 1954.
Oh......what a duidfrent age it was
Yeah that is sort of creepy, forget the age gap. Much like Marty Brodeur splitting with his wife and remarrying his wife's sister.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad