2019 Around the League V

Status
Not open for further replies.

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
Lol funny that Caggiula gets brought up with regards to Leivo. He was the 5th leading scorer on the Oilers before he got traded. Again, this reinforces the point that Leivo would be a huge upgrade over a lot of what Edmonton currently has on the roster.

Dab

Apr 17, 2017
I wanted to respond to MS post in the last thread by saying Benning and Chirelli are like the same sides of a coin.

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
The Oilers standing pat last summer in terms of acquiring forward help is one world's greatest mysteries. Wingers like Conor Sheary and Mike Hoffman were available for peanuts and didn't have the luxury of trade protection to veto moves to Edmonton.

Something that kind of went under the radar earlier this season is them waiving Pontus Aberg only to see him put up a 20 goal/40 point pace in Anaheim, basically exactly what they need.

Last edited:

JanBulisPiggyBack

Dec 31, 2011
Why does Edmonton feel like they have to push super hard to be in the playoffs this year, sure maaaaaaybe they make it with some additions but beyond this season they will probably miss the next couple seasons, especially if they keep throwing away 1st round picks ( the only round they sometimes hit on )

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Why does Edmonton feel like they have to push super hard to be in the playoffs this year, sure maaaaaaybe they make it with some additions but beyond this season they will probably miss the next couple seasons, especially if they keep throwing away 1st round picks ( the only round they sometimes hit on )
I think it's been reported that there is a business side to things. Seat Licenses were sold in 3 year packs, so this is the 3rd and final year, which requires people to re-up. You can guess what another playoff miss would do to the renewal rate.

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007
Few teams have an off season, so Edm thinks this season is easier to make it. Imagine they miss playoff four or five years (17, 18, 19, 20, 21) :popcorn:

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
with Chiarelli's firing imminent, and him being in full chicken-with-its-head-cut-off mode, it would VERY wise to tangle our assets with trade values in Chiarelli's eyes. Sutter, Gudbranson, even Edler (if he waives, that is).

if there's a better time to rip that team off, I can't think of one.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
Lol funny that Caggiula gets brought up with regards to Leivo. He was the 5th leading scorer on the Oilers before he got traded. Again, this reinforces the point that Leivo would be a huge upgrade over a lot of what Edmonton currently has on the roster.
The idea that this is the player that the Oilers should kick themselves for going after, when guys like Skinner, Sheary and Hoffman were dealt for pennies on the dollar in the off-season is so laughable.

Leivo is scoring on a 30 point clip while playing most of his minutes with Pettersson and Boeser, the way this fanbase overrates these type of players is hilarious.

Reactions: Canadian Club

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
It's hard to overstate how bad an overpayment the Koskinen extension is. Casey DeSmith is a 27-year-old pending UFA, a career .918 in 42 games (.917 this season), and signed 3 years with a $1.25M AAV.

I wanted to respond to MS post in the last thread by saying Benning and Chirelli are like the same sides of a coin.

There are definitely comparisons between the two but Benning hasn't pissed away an asset as good as Eberle, let alone Hall.

Reactions: GoTeamDom

DomY

Aug 11, 2008
I like to play on a 3 year rolling average. So since 2016-17 (of transactions that affect the NHL roster):

Trades:
Good:
Traded Burrows for Dahlen (+)
Traded Hansen for Goldobin and a 4th (+)
Traded Vanek for Motte and Jokinen (=)
Traded Carcone (and loaned Gagner to Marlies) for Leivo
Traded Chaput for Kero
Not Good:
Traded for Gudbranson (-)
Traded Pedan and a 4th for Pouliot (=)
Traded Holm for Leipsic (=)

Signed:
Good:
EP, Boeser, Demko, Stetcher, Gaudette, Roussel, Beagle (come at me)
Not Good:
Eriksson, Gagner, Del Zotto, Schaller

Re-signed:
Good:
Baertschi x2, Granlund x2, Markstrom, Virtanen, Stetcher, Hutton, Horvat, Biega, Pouliot (at $1.1m it is not worth splitting hairs, just give me this one)
Not Good:
Gudbranson

Other:
Fired Willie and hired Green
Re-hired Ian Clark
Drafted Juolevi, Pettersson and Hughes
Survived power struggle with Linden

To recap, it looks like GMJB so far has been good at not overpaying to keep his own players, getting his own prospects to sign, but he also and has not been able to sign a UFA defenseman worth talking about. and has a blindspot for Gudbranson.

Some of his biggest accomplishments might be behind the scenes, luring Ian Clark away from Columbus (who has fixed Markstrom it looks like), firing Willie D and out-surviving Linden, thus ending the Medicine Hat reign of terror.

I have not mentioned his drafting record after the first round, but the Canucks have been able to find WJHC caliber prospects in each draft in the later rounds (Lockwood, Gadjovich, DiPietro, Madden, Utenen), so that is nice to see.

Going forward, I would like to see him execute a bigger trade than Hansen for Goldobin and come out on top, because his role as GM is different now than a teardown GM. He will also have to not overpay for Hutton or Virtanen and the big one not overpay re-signing Boeser.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Benning has made 2 significant trades and they’ve both blown up in his face. The vast majority of his signings are poor and he doesn’t know how to evaluate defenders at the pro level. Once there is significant pressure to compete like there is in Edmonton it’ll be more obvious that Benning is a complete fool.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
It's hard to overstate how bad an overpayment the Koskinen extension is. Casey DeSmith is a 27-year-old pending UFA, a career .918 in 42 games (.917 this season), and signed 3 years with a $1.25M AAV.

There are definitely comparisons between the two but Benning hasn't pissed away an asset as good as Eberle, let alone Hall.
Ryan Kesler was a much better asset than Jordan Eberle.

Last edited:

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Both Spooner and Rattie clear

It's unreal how everything is going wrong for them. They'll only get $900k of relief on Spooner's $4MM if they send him down. Conversely he might be worth a bit more now that he can be assigned to the AHL without waivers.

The news that Koskinen, with less than 30NHL starts gets not only term but trade protection is extremely funny. Couple that with Broissoit's success with WPG—EDM let him walk as a FA last offseason.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
It's unreal how everything is going wrong for them. They'll only get $900k of relief on Spooner's $4MM if they send him down. Conversely he might be worth a bit more now that he can be assigned to the AHL without waivers.

The news that Koskinen, with less than 30NHL starts gets not only term but trade protection is extremely funny. Couple that with Broissoit's success with WPG—EDM let him walk as a FA last offseason.

The Rangers are retaining on Spooner, he's a $3.1M cap hit in Edmonton ($2.2M if he's in the AHL).

They're not sending Spooner down though...he's in their lineup against Detroit tonight. I guess they thought someone might claim him? LOL.

Reactions: timw33

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton

Talbot was supposed to be a $6M goalie like 12 months ago :laugh: They were panicking about how to fit him under the cap.

Almost like that defense might make a goalie look bad? (Dubnyk)

_______

The Oilers should move Nurse while he still has high perceived value. I've said this for years, but they should be after Anthony Mantha hard, and there's probably something possible with those two players involved. Then move Bouchard and their next two firsts.

It won't happen (hurr durr division), but they should also consider offering above market value for Virtanen. He'd make for a great McDavid linemate. Send us Bouchard or Yamamoto+.

RNH-McDavid-Virtanen
Mantha-Draisaitl-Puljujarvi

is a decent top-6. If they're feeling ballsy, move Puljujarvi + 2019 1st + x for Mark Stone.

But of course, they won't have anywhere near the cap space to sign Stone because they just gave Koskinen $4.5M :biglaugh:

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
If I'm the Oilers I'm trying to find speed to play with McDavid. Kapanen in Toronto, Miller in Tampa Bay, McCann in Florida are all candidates. Virtanen qualifies too.

I would not trade Bouchard for Virtanen. Yamamoto? ...Maybe.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
oh well?

Spooner would be like picking up Sam Gagner and Rattie couldn't even produce with Edmontons centres

mostly i was hoping we could pick up Rattie

EDIT: he shouldn't worse than Schaller or Granlund.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad