2019 Around the League V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007
Come to think of it, Trump met his wife when she was 16.....
giphy.gif

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
I find Seravelli's logic behind his mid-season MVP to McD, and all the talk of McD getting MVP overall to be quite ridiculous.

If we're meassuring MVP by how much they help their team alone, shouldn't EP40 be in the conversation too? But nope, those people will never even think about that.

What if a team so bad that no one scores more than 20 points except for one person who scores 100? What if a team so good that EVERYONE scores 60 points?

Such idiocy and hypocrisy.

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
I find Seravelli's logic behind his mid-season MVP to McD, and all the talk of McD getting MVP overall to be quite ridiculous.

If we're meassuring MVP by how much they help their team alone, shouldn't EP40 be in the conversation too? But nope, those people will never even think about that.

What if a team so bad that no one scores more than 20 points except for one person who scores 100? What if a team so good that EVERYONE scores 60 points?

Such idiocy and hypocrisy.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see EP get votes if the Canucks finish near the bubble.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
I think that you shouldn't be able to win MVP if your team finishes like 15-20 points out of a playoff spot but if you're on the bubble I don't have a problem with that. Just my opinion.

These analysts, like Seravelli, are a bunch of two time double standard hypocrites.

I'm not saying EP40 is as good as McDavid (I don't know enough to say that) and I'm not saying EP40 deserves MORE mvp considerations. The fact that they claim to given McD MVP based purely on his impact on the team and not even a HINT of mentioning EP40 just goes to show how full of shit they are and how eager they are to blank McDavid's blank.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
I found the idea that guys like Kopitar and Hall or whatever were more deserving than McDavid just because they got into the playoffs stupid when they all ended up getting destroyed in round 1 anyways.

I think stock should absolutely be put into team performance if we're considering the difference between a top 10 team and a bubble team or something though.

Reactions: valkynax

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
I found the idea that guys like Kopitar and Hall or whatever were more deserving than McDavid just because they got into the playoffs stupid when they all ended up getting destroyed in round 1 anyways.

I think stock should absolutely be put into team performance if we're considering the difference between a top 10 team and a bubble team or something though.

I’d agree, but isn’t voting done prior to the start of the playoffs or is due sometime in the middle of the first round?

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby

The sentence feels incomplete but I think I understand what you mean.

These analysts want to give McD MVP because he's McD. If they are true to their words and is considering a player's impact on the team they should at least say "hey speaking of that, I'd give EP40 consideration too, based on how much better a team the Canucks are when he's in the line up."

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
I’d agree, but isn’t voting done prior to the start of the playoffs or is due sometime in the middle of the first round?

It's a regular season award but there's a difference between a divisional winner and a 40 win team that just happened to squeak into a wildcard spot where they'll (most likely) lose in 5/6 games.

I refuse to think that anyone actually believed for a second that the Devils would win more than 2 games in last year's playoffs.

Last edited:

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
It's a regular season award but there's a difference between a divisional winner and a 40 win team that just happened to squeak into a wildcard spot where they'll (most likely) lose in 5/6 games.

Agreed the actual team performance/value to the team isn’t valued enough.

I

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Didn't Messier want to get into the GMing side of things a few years back? Gawd that would be so funny. The literal definition of insanity.

think he’ll take the C from mcdavid and sew it onto his suit jacket?

So I was looking up some random hockey stuff on the internet to waste some time.
Then I saw “Bob Bourne, former NYI who’s married to Briana, daughter of former NYI teammate and NHL all star Clark Gillis.”
I was like “ Oh, there’s must be a big age gap between Bob and Clark.”

But then I looked up their Wikipedia pages, both of them were born in 1954.
Oh......what a duidfrent age it was

clark gillies was the scariest dude in the NHL at one time. i don’t care if we were blood brothers and won ninety cups together, i would not marry that guy’s daughter if i was old enough to be her father.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
These analysts just gotta be consistent with themselves.

Want to award MVP based on team impact alone? Fine, bring EP40 into the conversation.

Want to aware MVP based on both team performance and individual impact? OK then McDavid shouldn't be considered at all.

You can't say one thing and do another, or you end up looking like a despicable hypocrite.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
think he’ll take the C from mcdavid and sew it onto his suit jacket?

clark gillies was the scariest dude in the NHL at one time. i don’t care if we were blood brothers and won ninety cups together, i would not marry that guy’s daughter if i was old enough to be her father.
Fun fact, Bob Bourne’s son is Justin Bourne. Yep the Athletic writer/Leafs fan

member 290103

The minimum bar for mvp should always be playoffs - if your not in the playoffs why did you contribution matter? Why does finishing 18th overall as opposed to 23rd overall (other than draft) matter

Should you be in discussion for most outstanding for sure but that’s a different award.

If the award is most valuable to his team, McDavid wins hands down. Look at the state that franchise is in now.....can you imagine if they did not have him? There is zero chance, zero....that they are in a playoff race.

member 290103

These analysts just gotta be consistent with themselves.

Want to award MVP based on team impact alone? Fine, bring EP40 into the conversation.

Want to aware MVP based on both team performance and individual impact? OK then McDavid shouldn't be considered at all.

You can't say one thing and do another, or you end up looking like a despicable hypocrite.

The award clearly goes to the player that has the most outstanding performance on a playoff team. I honestly think they should just change it to the most outstanding performance.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
The award clearly goes to the player that has the most outstanding performance on a playoff team. I honestly think they should just change it to the most outstanding performance.

Sure, as long as there's consistency.

Right now these analysts are basically saying ok we gonna give MVP based on how big they impact the team but nah we don't care about EP40 because we only care about McDavid.

Hypocrisy at its finest.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
and actually now that i think about, he’s married to clark gillies’ daughter. i even remember reading the story a while ago—A POTENTIALLY ROYAL ISLANDERS FAMILYThe true romance of a Bourne and a Gillies

... unless clark gillies has another daughter that justin’s dad is married to, which wow that would truly be sick.
Actualky nvm, I went back to check the Wikipedia page.
Brianna is married to Justin not Bob...
Guess I misread badly, it was quite early in the morning after all

member 290103

Sure, as long as there's consistency.

Right now these analysts are basically saying ok we gonna give MVP based on how big they impact the team but nah we don't care about EP40 because we only care about McDavid.

Hypocrisy at its finest.

Very true.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Ok, I wasn’t all that old back then but I always thought Gillies was sort of a sleeping bear that you didn’t wake up. Leave him alone and he wouldn’t do that much physically. But poke the bear, watch out.

Think that’s what made that Isles dynasty as they could play any style. Whether it be the Flying Frenchmen or the Broad Street Bullies, they’d easily match and come out on top.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia