2019 Around the League V

Status
Not open for further replies.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
We should have tried to swap Goldobin for Strome earlier this season. Chayka might have bitten.
No, he very obviously wouldn't have. In a trade for a good young 2C who was underperforming but put up 50 points last season, he gave up Strome reluctantly after protracted attempts to substitute other assets. Why would he have moved the same player for Goldobin?

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
Stan Bowman's made two really interesting moves lately where's shipped out good, young players for higher-ceiling swings at the fence. The Strome trade, and trading Ryan Hartman to Nashville for a 1st with which he took Nicolas Beaudin (a high-skill undersized D). It's a strategy I don't see any other GM doing and I'm fascinated to see how it works out.

He's also needed to do so with the cap crunch Chicago has. However, being proactive and getting a result with the trades is a another matter altogether.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
He's also needed to do so with the cap crunch Chicago has. However, being proactive and getting a result with the trades is a another matter altogether.
And with strome doing well with 1 year left on his elc what kind of salary is he going to be seeking on his next deal after next season?

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
Stan Bowman's made two really interesting moves lately where's shipped out good, young players for higher-ceiling swings at the fence. The Strome trade, and trading Ryan Hartman to Nashville for a 1st with which he took Nicolas Beaudin (a high-skill undersized D). It's a strategy I don't see any other GM doing and I'm fascinated to see how it works out.

Very unimpressed with Arizona. Their GM was supposed to have one of the best spreadsheets around but he has done very poorly. Coyotes are treading water under his watch.

Reactions: Burke's Evil Spirit

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
No, he very obviously wouldn't have. In a trade for a good young 2C who was underperforming but put up 50 points last season, he gave up Strome reluctantly after protracted attempts to substitute other assets. Why would he have moved the same player for Goldobin?
No apologies for calling out my credibility ?

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
You are a very credible poster, but just because some guy in the media said it doesn't make it a slam dunk.

And it was one statement, seemingly not repeated elsewhere or even confirmed via the original source (Gillis). I don't think anyone can say "they would likely have gone with Larkin."

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
And it was one statement, seemingly not repeated elsewhere or even confirmed via the original source (Gillis). I don't think anyone can say "they would likely have gone with Larkin."
Had nothing to do with the Larkin situation, read the discussion again, I’m completely fine with you asking me for a source.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
I agree with this, Chayka has been terrible.

I disagree, while he hasn’t been great, he has had much less to work with, and hasn’t had a healthy team in two seasons.

I don’t think he is going to make the Coyotes great at his current rate, but he is not the disaster many think when just looking at the stats.

Reactions: Pip

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
I disagree, while he hasn’t been great, he has had much less to work with, and hasn’t had a healthy team in two seasons.

I don’t think he is going to make the Coyotes great at his current rate, but he is not the disaster many think when just looking at the stats.
I’ve liked a few of his moves, I think the Hjalmarsson deal was really good. I think he should absolutely be accountable for not moving that team in the direction of the playoffs, it’s been 3 years since he took over.

He inherited Max Domi, Oliver Ekman-Larsson, Anthony Duclair, Dylan Strome the 6th pick in 2016.

The Derek Stepan deal hasn’t worked out, the Domi deal looks poor and the overall development system within that organization has been porus.

He’s assembled some good pieces, but he’s made moves, sacrificed futures in effort to accelerate the rebuild and most have had a poor effect on the team.

I’d give him one more year, if they fail to qualify for the playoffs next year I’d fire him.

Reactions: geebaan

geebaan

7th round busted
Oct 27, 2012
I’ve liked a few of his moves, I think the Hjalmarsson deal was really good. I think he should absolutely be accountable for not moving that team in the direction of the playoffs, it’s been 3 years since he took over.

He inherited Max Domi, Oliver Ekman-Larsson, Anthony Duclair, Dylan Strome the 6th pick in 2016.

The Derek Stepan deal hasn’t worked out, the Domi deal looks poor and the overall development system within that organization has been porus.

He’s assembled some good pieces, but he’s made moves, sacrificed futures in effort to accelerate the rebuild and most have had a poor effect on the team.

I’d give him one more year, if they fail to qualify for the playoffs next year I’d fire him.

Yea, it feels like he started off really well, but made a bunch of rash moves to compete now, and we ALL now how those moves tend to work out.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
I also liked the fact he brought in and moved up for Jakob Chychrun. To be fair I shouldn’t have called him terrible, I think he’s done a good job of bringing some pieces in and the situation could be fixed easily by some good pro scouting.

To be trading Max Domi when his PDO was outrageously low was short sighted, along with the 7th overall pick for Stepan (even though I like Ranta)

I’m willing to give him another year.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
Strome was 2 years away from waiver eligibility so not quite the same thing as the likes of Vey.

No not at all, moreso implying that we're always interested in the "high pedigree but doesn't look as promising now" players but there wasn't really any smoke from anywhere on Strome. That's contrasted to say, Puljujarvi, who there are always rumours that we'd be interested in (but IMO shouldn't be to the same degree). To be fair, that may just be a function of the respective markets.

More to the point, it is fully in Benning's MO to trade for a drafted young player rather than a pick; simply lamenting that it's too bad he didn't carry through with his supposed "strategy" and trade for the highest-drafted-still-under-22 player traded since Tyler Seguin.

Arizona should firmly be a playoff team. Chayka has definitely done a mediocre job so far, in part because I think after a couple seasons of bad luck he lost the plot rather than doubling down on his strategy (or by just not cutting his losses) and waiting for the returns. So the result is a bit of a mish-mashed, directionless roster that could probably use upgrades everywhere... but they're better than the standings show, IMO.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
And now Hitchcock is back paddling on his earlier comments LUL

The players sound pissed. Looks Hitch might've lost the room.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Malkin WILD swing on Raffle. Even tho hes a star he should be suspended for that. Pretty awful reminded me of Kassian on Gagner but luckily missed. Kass was suspended for what like 8 games, but probably Malkin will get less. Maybe 2 games

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Malkin WILD swing on Raffle. Even tho hes a star he should be suspended for that. Pretty awful reminded me of Kassian on Gagner but luckily missed. Kass was suspended for what like 8 games, but probably Malkin will get less. Maybe 2 games
Remind me again what Malkin got for crosschecking Mitchell head first into the boards? He got nothing. Gutless puke.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I also liked the fact he brought in and moved up for Jakob Chychrun. To be fair I shouldn’t have called him terrible, I think he’s done a good job of bringing some pieces in and the situation could be fixed easily by some good pro scouting.

To be trading Max Domi when his PDO was outrageously low was short sighted, along with the 7th overall pick for Stepan (even though I like Ranta)

I’m willing to give him another year.
Dealing #7 for Stepan and Rantanna hasn’t had the desired effect. That’s a high pick to move for players who are designed to help now and they haven’t made the playoffs. Talking Anderson or Mittlestadt with that pick. Goal is to target a timeline of when you should make the playoffs then start contending. Seemed like an odd move at the time.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Yotes are tougher case to judge given that any GM of theirs have to work under a much tighter budget. You’d think even just one Loui Eriksson type of contract could cripple that franchise until the contract ran out.
But they are never in the bidding for those type of free agents. No pressure to go out and spend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad