2019 AAF Season Thread

shmglsky

Jul 10, 2012
Came here to post that, just saw the same story.

Man that is laughable if true. :biglaugh:

Average annual salary works out to under $80k per year, and in walks Kaepernick demanding $20 mil.

That's gotta be a fake lead, no way he's that foolish.

Apparently he wanted more.

Reactions: DaveG

shmglsky

Jul 10, 2012
g6YSKBu.jpg

Ah, how cute.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I'm sure this report coming out the same day as Kaepernick's settlement is totally a coincidence. Not to mention, probably not true given the AAF's salary structure. The base salary for the entire league combined is somewhere between $24-$27 million for this season.

Reactions: JetsWillFly4Ever

shmglsky

Jul 10, 2012
I don't think Kaeper wants to play football anymore. By making an unrealistic demand, which he knows the AAF couldn't possibly accept, it gives him a way out while saving face.

If we're never to see Kaeper on a football field again I think it will because his sponsor (Nike I think) wants him to. If you were sponsoring Kaepernick, wouldn't you want him playing somewhere? Otherwise, what's the point? You can't be a football/activist if you're not actually playing football.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Yeah, the QB play isn't great, but the OL and WR player isn't helping. Without the 5 man rush rule the backs would all be on IR already.

It makes it tougher to evaluate the QB’s if the throws hit someone right in the hands and can’t make the play. That happened twice to Hackenberg on the last drive. I almost feel like the offenses need an extra down.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
It makes it tougher to evaluate the QB’s if the throws hit someone right in the hands and can’t make the play. That happened twice to Hackenberg on the last drive. I almost feel like the offenses need an extra down.

Unfortunately I chose the Express to root for because of local player rights and I like the uniform... don't even get me started on Hackenberg, but you're right the WR's haven't helped him at all. Having the QB miked up is revealing as well, Hack shouldn't act like a whiny little baby, but he's had so many complaints about receivers not running their route and then the drops are obvious.

Polian sounds like the league is committed for at least 5-10 years, and if so the product should improve. Apparently there is an article that discusses the league as basically having unlimited resources to operate, enough to make gate and merchandise revenue mostly irrelevant, so if that's true then I like their chances. The NFL already appears to be buying in a lot, if they can get an affiliation with that league then the Alliance will be set with players, money and fan interest.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Unfortunately I chose the Express to root for because of local player rights and I like the uniform... don't even get me started on Hackenberg, but you're right the WR's haven't helped him at all. Having the QB miked up is revealing as well, Hack shouldn't act like a whiny little baby, but he's had so many complaints about receivers not running their route and then the drops are obvious.

Polian sounds like the league is committed for at least 5-10 years, and if so the product should improve. Apparently there is an article that discusses the league as basically having unlimited resources to operate, enough to make gate and merchandise revenue mostly irrelevant, so if that's true then I like their chances. The NFL already appears to be buying in a lot, if they can get an affiliation with that league then the Alliance will be set with players, money and fan interest.

The NFL put them on their network, so they have their support. These games are basically Week 4 NFL Preseason games put into a league and not sending them to Europe. Their goals are a little more modest instead of trying to be a league they're just trying to give players a chance, so a lot of their business decisions will be much more risk-adverse.

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
Starting a league in February might not be the best idea. The weather seems to be terrible everywhere, even San Diego. Maybe next year they wait till March?

AttendanceTotalAverage
Arizona Hotshots 15,000 15,000
Atlanta Legends - -
Birmingham Iron 42,319 21,160
Memphis Express 11,980 11,980
Orlando Apollos 20,191 20,191
Salt Lake Stallions - -
San Antonio Commanders 57,033 28,517
San Diego Fleet - 20,019
AAF 146,523 18,315
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Also, they may want to really push CBS to broadcast more games on the big channel. With the XFL likely going to ESPN, they're going to need that exposure. I haven't seen anything official yet, but rumors are TV ratings were down quite a bit for Week 2.

Sep 19, 2008
Ha, I turned it off at halftime with the under out of the question. Guess it ended up being closer than I thought.

It was close. I had it on the background while making dinner and the Apollos had 17 point run in the fourth quarter. Pretty exciting.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Ratings are always going to be down in Week 2, there's less of a curiosity factor. I'd take those attendance numbers if I were them though.

Sep 19, 2008
It's literally propped up by the NFL and attendance is still high

I think this league will be around for a while

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
If he's dumping in $250M he should probably own all the teams.

But definely reeks that their business model was bad with Vince on the horizon to pick up the pieces

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
What I just posted in HFCanes...

I don't trust the Athletic's accuracy on this story. Obviously Dundon buying in is true, but the spin they are putting on this, that he rescued the league that couldn't make week2 payroll is a little dubious.

1. They didn't get to week two and say "Dang, we ran out of money" and then call around, find Dundon who agrees on a whim to just toss $250M their way. No, they've obviously been in talks with him prior to this and he was probably a planned investor for a while now. Maybe he was just waiting to make sure the league could get itself off the ground, and the big thing is their app which is going to revolutionize sports viewing and fantasy sports. It works, and maybe Dundon wanted to see that it works first. But certainly a $250M deal didn't just fall into place within matter of days.

2. The excuse that it's because they would miss payroll. The total contract value in the league for the entire season is $34M, so about $3.4M each week. They are also paying $800k/week for stadium usage, plus it sounds like they're possibly paying the networks to air the games, they also have travel, insurance and marketing. One savvy fan I heard from in a facebook group who has experience with this type of thing estimates that their year expenses for all of that is $25M. With payroll, their weekly expenses would be $6M. So a $250M investment could fund this league for 4 seasons.

So it looks like Dundon had his eye on this all along, and the $250M number isn't a one-time life preserver but a long-term buy in figure based on the total valuation of the league to give him a majority stake and become chairman. The Athletic puts this in a negative light "Oh look, this new league can't make payroll!" when in fact this is obviously a huge positive for the league.

Babe Ruth

Don't leave me hangin' on the telephone..
Feb 2, 2016
It's literally propped up by the NFL and attendance is still high

I think this league will be around for a while

This is the league's potential value.. a professional farm league for the NFL.
My opinion (in broad terms), it's stupid, exploitative, & corrupt that colleges have allowed NCAA football programs to become the unpaid farm league for the NFL.

A viable farm league like the AAF, could help eliminate the unfair charade of (big time NCAA football) 'student'-athletes. If eligibility rules are subsequently altered, u could have young, capable players skip the 'student'-athlete charade & start developing their careers in AAF & more quickly transition to NFL.
Even if this particular league fails, it's @ least progress toward a more honest farm system. A new paradigm benefits guys who wanna start making a living playing pro football right away.. & could allow college football to fall in line w/other college sports (where participants are students first, & playing sports to underwrite their true priority- a degree). I'm rooting for any league that shifts the onus of developing NFL talent back on to the NFL.. MLB has successful farm leagues, NFL can/should do it (although I don't know the NFL's full involvement/investment in AAF ?)..

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2008
It's, literally, not.

The influence the NFL has on the league is obvious, from the NFL front office individuals and Polian running the league to the NFL Network actually airing games. The NFL has a strong financial interest in this league.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
It's called "filler programming". For all we know, AAF is PAYING NFL Network to be on there.

If the NFL was actually "propping" it up, they wouldn't be letting someone from the outside essentially buy the league out.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
^This exactly.

I think we all overestimated just how "in" the NFL was in on the AAF. If they were really in the background, the league wouldn't have missed payrolls two weeks in a row.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad