2019 AAF Season Thread

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
I think it's shaking out with San Antonio, Orlando, and Birmingham usually in the 17-27k range and everyone else struggling to hit 15k. The only thing I could see adding some hype for these teams is more star power. Getting Tanner Mangum from BYU, if he doesn't get drafted (he'll be 26 in September) could be a boost to SLC.

Sep 19, 2008
San Antonio has a strong following. I saw the game when Orlando went to play at the Alamodome on TV and the place looked pretty packed. The numbers are concerning but isn't SD like 1-2 or 0-3?

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
jdcp6a7ug0j21.png

An interesting look at the old XFL compared to the AAF, though I don't think it's valuable to take NBC ratings into account here.

Right now, the AAF is getting about the same viewership the XFL had in the final few weeks of its regular season. What is interesting is the stability and slight upswing through for the AAF on cable, while the XFL saw heavy decline most weeks.

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
They will definitely have to upgrade some of the coaching staffs. The play-calling leaves a lot to be desired.

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
TV ratings seem more encouraging. They moved a game from online only to TNT for next weekend.

If attendance isn't treated as extra revenue by the league (seems unlikely), they should probably rethink playing in February. The weather for most of the games last month was pretty bad, aside from San Antonio, where it doesn't matter, and Arizona, which seems like a bust but I could see them not moving any teams the first few seasons.

They were unlucky with weather again this week. Snow storm in SLC and rain/thunderstorms in Birmingham. Memphis improved from their first game at least.

Sep 19, 2008
Was watching said game yesterday night and the attendance at Legion Field looked pretty paltry. Perhaps it was weather, know there was some bad weather and tornadoes in Alabama yesterday.

Good to see more games being flexed to cable. B/R Live is like online only. Need them on TV for ratin's.

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
maybe the issue is playing a minor league sport in a stadium meant for something much larger, these guys should be playing in high school or small college stadiums

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea

Many major cities have high schools with football stadiums that can hold 10-15,000 fans, how is that confusing? Same thing with small colleges and Junior colleges.

12,000 people looks a lot fuller in a stadium that seats 15-25,000, instead they are using some stadiums that hold 60-70,000 and it looks terrible

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
You'll get a better atmosphere too, the problem is that the larger stadiums have the better facilities and capability of handling the production AAF expects from themselves.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad