Rumor: 2019-2020 Trade Rumours and Free Agent Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Word on the street says that Avs offered 2years... well, I understand that the player took certainty and chose 4years deal and I totally understand that Avs didn’t offer the same.
Yeah it makes sense to not go beyond 2 years, given that in 2021 new deals will be needed for Landeskog, Makar, and Grubauer, so needless to say at that stage you don't want to have a huge chunk tied into Gardiner, especially if his back gives in before then.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Based on the current roster and likely protections (as listed below) there would be no reason to trade a 1st.
I'm not basing it off the current roster, I am basing it on that at least two of those exempts will be eligible. Maybe I am confusing myself on how many games it takes for a player to be eligible, but if Byram doesn't play this season he will play next season easily. So as of now we're in good shape, but Rich you gotta be thinking who will be highly probable of playing in the NHL in the next two seasons making eligible for Seattle.

Reactions: Richard88

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Seattle is coming in the NHL one year too late IMO. Expansion draft should have been set to next summer.

Edit: Arena wouldn't be ready for next year it seems.

On a side note, the delays and immense costs that have come with gutting and rebuilding Key Arena almost don’t seem to be worth it. They could’ve built a new one from scratch for the costs they’re pumping into renovation. Maybe someone from Seattle could educate me—is it THAT important to keep that roof? Most of the costs have been sunk just to keep it propped up while they completely redo the inside.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
On a side note, the delays and immense costs that have come with gutting and rebuilding Key Arena almost don’t seem to be worth it. They could’ve built a new one from scratch for the costs they’re pumping into renovation. Maybe someone from Seattle could educate me—is it THAT important to keep that roof? Most of the costs have been sunk just to keep it propped up while they completely redo the inside.

Yeah I am from there and there are only a few things that come to mind..

The other site in Sodo was owned by the group trying to get an NBA team, and there isn't a lot of open real estate inside the city limits. The Key is directly downtown and already has all of the environmental crap done. Which was a very difficult process for the Sodo group. Seattle is on another level when it comes to that type of red tape.

One benefit is that outside of concerts and a few things it should be fairly dedicated to hockey. So hopefully it has good ice.

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
Planing 2 years ahead isn't ridiculous. The Avs can still be competitive and be cautious of how the expansion draft is going to affect them.
Agreed. It’s good to map out a few ideas and try and keep roster flexibility so that when the time comes we aren’t forced to lose more than we have to.

Reactions: CB Joe

Foxtail

Mar 31, 2018
Nova Scotia
I'm not basing it off the current roster, I am basing it on that at least two of those exempts will be eligible. Maybe I am confusing myself on how many games it takes for a player to be eligible, but if Byram doesn't play this season he will play next season easily. So as of now we're in good shape, but Rich you gotta be thinking who will be highly probable of playing in the NHL in the next two seasons making eligible for Seattle.
Byram would be exempt regardless, same with Kaut, Bowers and so on

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Even if we don't like it or not the Avs showed in the past and with almost every general manager since Sakic was trained with Lacroix and Sherman that they're not afraid at trading 1st rounders for rentals.

Getting rid of a 1st round to Seattle to make them pick like Bellemare or Donskoi in the future could be a good trade off.

Expansion Draft will happen after the 2020/21 season and agree with the others against trading the 1st.

Landy will be a UFA and could possible allow himself to resign after the EX draft. So there is no chance SEA will select him and Bellemare also will become a UFA.

Protected
  • Mackinnon
  • Rantanen
  • Kadri
  • Jost
  • Compher
  • Donskoi
  • Burakovsky (replaces Landy UFA)
  • Makar
  • Girard
  • Johnson
  • Grubauer
Exposed
  • Zadorov, Graves, Rosén, Meloche,
  • Greer, Kamenev

I removed players becoming UFAs prior to the Expansion Draft and kept the RFAs. List is actually quite small. The most vulnerable is likely Zadorov (believe will be traded) or EJ waiving.

Foxtail

Mar 31, 2018
Nova Scotia
Expansion Draft will happen after the 2020/21 season and agree with the others against trading the 1st.

Landy will be a UFA and could possible allow himself to resign after the EX draft. So there is no chance SEA will select him and Bellemare also will become a UFA.

Protected
  • Mackinnon
  • Rantanen
  • Kadri
  • Jost
  • Compher
  • Donskoi
  • Burakovsky (replaces Landy UFA)
  • Makar
  • Girard
  • Johnson
  • Grubauer
Exposed
  • Zadorov, Graves, Rosén, Meloche,
  • Greer, Kamenev

I removed players becoming UFAs prior to the Expansion Draft and kept the RFAs. List is actually quite small. The most vulnerable is likely Zadorov (believe will be traded) or EJ waiving.
Awesome, I agree on Landy signing after the ED , seems simple to me, just 1 UFA on there Grubauer. The rest looks copacetic

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
(snip)

(snip)

Awesome, I agree on Landy signing after the ED , seems simple to me, just 1 UFA on there Grubauer. The rest looks copacetic
As I understand it UFA's are still eligible for the expansion draft, so that potential loophole with Landy won't work.

If Seattle takes a UFA from a team, that selection would count as their selection from that team. Just like Vegas, Seattle will get a 3-4 day exclusive window before the expansion draft in which to negotiate a contract with a UFA they want to select.

I also think the league would have an issue with obvious circumvention, not to mention that Landeskog himself might feel more comfortable having an extension in place well before he hits UFA to protect himself financially against a long-term injury curtailing his potential earnings on his last big contract.

Foxtail

Mar 31, 2018
Nova Scotia
As I understand it UFA's are still eligible for the expansion draft, so that potential loophole with Landy won't work.

If Seattle takes a UFA from a team, that selection would count as their selection from that team. Just like Vegas, Seattle will get a 3-4 day exclusive window before the expansion draft in which to negotiate a contract with a UFA they want to select.

I also think the league would have an issue with obvious circumvention, not to mention that Landeskog himself might feel more comfortable having an extension in place well before he hits UFA to protect himself financially against a long-term injury curtailing his potential earnings on his last big contract.
UFA's are eligible because they are UFA's. The issue is whether you have a verbal agreement with the player and will he honor that agreement. With Landy a verbal deal would be in place and shouldn't be a problem, just delay the signing.

The danger is Seattle can still speak to him but wouldn't expect him to tarnish his legacy and go back on his word.

In short UFA'a do not need a protection slot. Cole , Calvert and Grubauer for example won't need slots unless they are resigned prior to.

Last edited:
Reactions: Patagonia

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017

Players don’t become UFAs until July 01st, so they do have a small exclusive window. It’s just more risky for SEA to use a pick on the assumption the player decides to stay.

Circumventing the draft?

Allowing Landy to be a UFA and returning is a really Grey area. Risky for the AVs as well, he might get better offers elsewhere. Landy could risk injury, but will depend if he wants to test UFA. Will just wait until after next season on the efforts of the team to offer an extension.

Reactions: Richard88

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
My prediction is that the Landeskog contract, as an 8-year deal, is done next summer, as soon as they're able to complete it. It's clear they see him as the captain of this franchise for the future, and I don't think there's anywhere he'd rather play. I think he gets the full 8-year deal next summer.

Foxtail

Mar 31, 2018
Nova Scotia
My prediction is that the Landeskog contract, as an 8-year deal, is done next summer, as soon as they're able to complete it. It's clear they see him as the captain of this franchise for the future, and I don't think there's anywhere he'd rather play. I think he gets the full 8-year deal next summer.
Me too but I think they do it after the expansion draft , deal done but not signed until after..

I think Makar signs a longterm extension year summer

Last edited:
Reactions: Patagonia

BleedWell

Jan 6, 2018
No way Landy will get 8-year contract Talking about terrible contract right there:help: 6 years is max for him. He is not gonna age well and he's turning 29 when the new deal kicks in.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Werenski gets the Meier structure.

Starting to think we see the same thing for Mikko. 3 years 8M AAV.

6.5M in year one
7.0M in year two
10.5M in year three

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
No way Landy will get 8-year contract Talking about terrible contract right there:help: 6 years is max for him. He is not gonna age well and he's turning 29 when the new deal kicks in.

Landy is a lifer... he may not get 8, but he's going to be with the Avs as long as he wants. If he wants to only play until 34, so be it. If he wants to play until he's 39, he will be an Av. Much like Hejduk or Sakic at the end of their careers.

Foxtail

Mar 31, 2018
Nova Scotia
7 years takes him to 35, he gets that contract easily, Landy keeps fit skates well, Canadian type work ethic, I see no worries there, Rantanen on the other hand looks to me like he won't age that well. He's still Bambi at 23, get out of the diapers now and improve that skating and leg strength, endurance that shit Don't see him aging well. 5 year deal takes him to 28.

Sign the Aho deal or trade him. Sebastian is the best player in Finnish hockey right? so the buck stops there

Last edited:

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland

6.5M in year one
7.0M in year two
10.5M in year three

Sakic said they both wanted long term deal. I don't think 3 years qualifies as long term.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012

6.5M in year one
7.0M in year two
10.5M in year three

To me, this is every bit as bad as a 4 year deal really... Mikko can just take the QO and walk in 4. My pure guess is Mikko wants a 4 year deal going right to UFA, but would slide on 5 if given enough cash. Avs want 7 or 8, but would slide on 6. That is where the stalemate seems to be here.

I still think a 5 year agreement gets reached. Avs will have to pay a bit more, but Mikko has to give some term.

Reactions: JLo217

BleedWell

Jan 6, 2018
Landy is a lifer... he may not get 8, but he's going to be with the Avs as long as he wants. If he wants to only play until 34, so be it. If he wants to play until he's 39, he will be an Av. Much like Hejduk or Sakic at the end of their careers.
Landy is a lifer for sure and that's great. But no way Joe is gonna give him 8 or 7 years straight up because Landy wants the money that 70 point wingers get as he should. Problem is he is peaking now and after couple of years he will be more that 3rd line grinder than first line player. I bet Landy gets 4-5 years and after that they make 1-2 year deals as they go Thornton-style.

Foxtail

Mar 31, 2018
Nova Scotia
Landy is a lifer for sure and that's great. But no way Joe is gonna give him 8 or 7 years straight up because Landy wants the money that 70 point wingers get as he should. Problem is he is peaking now and after couple of years he will be more that 3rd line grinder than first line player. I bet Landy gets 4-5 years and after that they make 1-2 year deals as they go

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Landy is a lifer for sure and that's great. But no way Joe is gonna give him 8 or 7 years straight up because Landy wants the money that 70 point wingers get as he should. Problem is he is peaking now and after couple of years he will be more that 3rd line grinder than first line player. I bet Landy gets 4-5 years and after that they make 1-2 year deals as they go Thornton-style.

Yes, tell us more about what Lando wants. You are totally an expert on this subject.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad