Rumor: 2019-2020 Trade Rumours and Free Agent Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foxtail

Mar 31, 2018
Nova Scotia
Girard is certainly over-rated by many avs fans, but nah. We need samwise way more than we do Zads.
Nah the whole hockey world loves him he's about to bust out in a big way. He's 21 years old. Just getting feet wet. Dude is gonna be a big star.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Girard might be overrated by non-Avs fans more than he is by us.

I mean yeah he’s overrated here for sure, but everyone else loves him too.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
The way I've seen some people (especially analytics types) talk about Girard is a little over the top. That's understandable though because current analytics models overrate transition play, and Girard is a wizard at that already.

Honestly though, he's untradeable to me. It takes about 300 games for defensemen to become who they are going to be, and Girard's only half way there. Two seasons from now, I can't want to see what he'll be. Makar, and eventually Byram, will probably overshadow him because they'll put up lots of points, but I think Sammy will be the real MVP of our back end for years to come.

As for the Z discussion, I don't even really want to talk about it more. I love Z and really cheer for him to figure it out and become consistent. I don't like thinking about him playing elsewhere and really hope I'm wrong about the likelihood of him being traded.

It's tough sometimes. I like to put on a GM cap because it's a childhood dream job of mine, and when I do that I try to be objective and think about what's best for the team. But I'm also a hardcore Avalanche fan who falls in love with our players rather quickly and genuinely hopes they all do well. Z is a case where those two sides of me are in direct opposition. I just hope the fan side is right.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
On a side note, you guys think that Gardiner getting 4MX4 as an offensive defenseman affects Barrie's "projected" 9MX7? :squint:

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
If Z can be more focused he will be a monster. I feel like sometime he is so confifent and relaxed that he becomes careless.

However we can’t trade him before the playoffs. We need to see another full season+playoffs of big Z before we decide on what to do.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Did we ever get confirmation if Timmins is exempt from the draft lotto because of his concussion?
I think it was discussed on here earlier this summer and the conclusion was that he was exempt. As is Kaut for that matter. Not sure if there was ever an "official" confirmation in either case though.

After this summers moves (mainly the Barrie trade) you can see what Sakic is working towards with the expansion draft in mind:
  • Mackinnon
  • Rantanen
  • Landeskog
  • Kadri
  • Jost
  • Compher
  • Donskoi
  • Makar
  • Girard
  • Johnson
  • Grubauer
Based on the current roster that would expose:
  • Burakovsky, Wilson, Nieto, Calvert, Bellemare, Nichuskin, Greer, Kamenev
  • Zadorov, Cole, Connauton, Barberio, Graves, Rosén, Meloche
  • Francouz
Exempt:
  • Kaut, Newhook, Bowers, Kovalenko
  • Byram, Timmins, Hellesson
  • Werner, Annunen
With this group of prospects just on the cusp it seems like the expansion draft will come at a perfect time for the Avs, with less than a year before several of the exemptions would cease being exempt.

Reactions: flyfysher

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I think it was discussed on here earlier this summer and the conclusion was that he was exempt. As is Kaut for that matter. Not sure if there was ever an "official" confirmation in either case though.

After this summers moves (mainly the Barrie trade) you can see what Sakic is working towards with the expansion draft in mind:
  • Mackinnon
  • Rantanen
  • Landeskog
  • Kadri
  • Jost
  • Compher
  • Donskoi
  • Makar
  • Girard
  • Johnson
  • Grubauer
Based on the current roster that would expose:
  • Burakovsky, Wilson, Nieto, Calvert, Bellemare, Nichuskin, Greer, Kamenev
  • Zadorov, Cole, Connauton, Barberio, Graves, Rosén, Meloche
  • Francouz
Exempt:
  • Kaut, Newhook, Bowers, Kovalenko
  • Byram, Timmins, Hellesson
  • Werner, Annunen
With this group of prospects just on the cusp it seems like the expansion draft will come at a perfect time for the Avs, with less than a year before several of the exemptions would cease being exempt.

Need to pump Burakovsky’s tires. Get him with Rantanen and MacKinnon. Maybe we can fool them into taking him rather than Zads.

Reactions: Avs425

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Nobody knows if Timmins will be exempt. He qualifies to apply for an exemption, but those aren't always granted; as we saw during the last Expansion Draft.

Nzap

lunaR Pad
Jul 19, 2011
Parma
We have to protect him because he has a NTC and those are automatic bruv.
EJ has a 19 team NTC. Was it actually the case in the previous ED that limited NTCs were counted as full, or can the player just put Seattle on that 19 team list too?

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
EJ is not protected because of his limited NTC. He is automatically protected because of his NMC.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Which also can be waived by EJ, or negated by buying out his contract...like we had to do with Beauch...
I know that blud, the problem is that can you ever see EJ waive his NMC? Or even see Sakic do that? Of course a lot can change and perhaps EJ will fall off a cliff where it warrants it, but he'd have to fall to Beauchemin's level and being that bad is hard to do.

Reactions: McMetal

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I know that blud, the problem is that can you ever see EJ waive his NMC? Or even see Sakic do that? Of course a lot can change and perhaps EJ will fall off a cliff where it warrants it, but he'd have to fall to Beauchemin's level and being that bad is hard to do.

I could see Sakic asking EJ if he'd like to waive but if he says no then it's stopping there.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
The only way I see Sakic asking EJ to waive his NMC is if Timmins is not exempt. Unless Timmins doesn't turn out (I really doubt that) Sakic will certainly want to protect him. If that is the case I'm sure it wouldn't take a big asset to send Seattle's way to get them to take somebody else than EJ. A 4th round pick would most likely do it. And that is if Seattle wants EJ in the first place.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

Was EJ really all that far above Beauch level in the backhalf of last season? He wasn't that bad during his early-season struggles -- though he was still bad then -- but Cole was the one anchoring that pairing down the stretch, not EJ...

But either way, you're right, EJ would need to regress even more for it to get there...I'm just not exactly excited to find out what two more seasons of regression does to EJ...

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
The only way I see Sakic asking EJ to waive his NMC is if Timmins is not exempt. Unless Timmins doesn't turn out (I really doubt that) Sakic will certainly want to protect him. If that is the case I'm sure it wouldn't take a big asset to send Seattle's way to get them to take somebody else than EJ. A 4th round pick would most likely do it. And that is if Seattle wants EJ in the first place.

I can see it needing to happen if Joe has to go out and acquire a 2nd pairing RS blueliner before then.

...and admits that he can't just wait it out without holding the team back from contending...

Reactions: AllAboutAvs

Nzap

lunaR Pad
Jul 19, 2011
Parma
EJ is not protected because of his limited NTC. He is automatically protected because of his NMC.
Just so that I understand it correctly:
EJ has a 19 team NTC.
This in and of itself would not prohibit EJ being exposed, as he would still be eligible to be drafted.

EJ also has an NMC which means he cannot be sent to the minors.
This is the killer in the ED and means he needs to waive.

I had been surprised for a long time that people said EJ would need to waive, but I figured that the limited NTC meant he would be eligible. However it is the NMC that is the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad