Rumor: 2019-2020 Trade Rumours and Free Agent Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
With Gardiner in Carolina now that puts Faulk on the block. We could use another RHD to balance the defence, as only Makar and Johnson are RHD's on the roster. Timmins & Meloche need another year in the AHL, so Faulk for a year would fit well in the meantime.

Moreover, Carolina were reported at the time of the Reimer/Darling trade to be looking to flip Reimer, and Colorado are one of few teams who have a need for a veteran No.3 goalie AND capspace to acquire Reimer's $3.4m for 2 years, and/or Faulk's hit.

Reimer + 2nd +3rd for Barberio/Graves/Connauton has been discussed before. Perhaps it could work with Faulk included instead of the picks? That is, Reimer + Faulk for Barberio/Graves/Connauton.

That's probably a bit underwhelming for Faulk in isolation, but it would get Carolina out of Reimer's contract and the capspace they need. Colorado on the other hand can fit both Faulk and Reimer in under the cap (assuming Rantanen signs under $10m).

Maybe we'd need to include a pick as well, but it would really solidify two positions of need for us in one go (3rd pair RHD, and veteran No.3 goalie).

Girard - Makar
Zadorov - Johnson
Cole/Byram - Faulk
(+ 3 of Barberio / Rosén / Connauton / Graves)

Goalie depth:
Grubauer
Francouz

Reimer
Werner

Last edited:

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
In response to @MarkT 'S post in the earlier trade thread: 2019 Free Agent Boredom Part IV, quoted here:

Here's my current theory: if at least one of Graves, Rosen or MacDonald show they're worthy of a contract extension and a full-time NHL role, Zadorov gets traded sooner rather than later.

It occurred to me after reading Ryan Clark's latest article, about how the Avs built their development system. In it he writes:

The first [significant change Sakic made] was establishing specific criteria for how they evaluate prospects. It is about finding players who fit within the premise of possessing hockey sense, skill and speed.
Hockey sense, skill and speed are not anywhere near the first things I think of when I think of what Zadorov brings to the team. This, along with the now crowded blueline and the likelihood of Girard and Byram being ahead of him before long, plus the expansion draft, means Z's time with the team may be limited.

There are plenty of teams who would see a lot of value in Z, and if we have other guys ready to take on his role long-term (Graves in particular could be this guy), Z's days may be numbered. Plus, if EJ is healthy and Byram makes the team, Z could potentially be traded even earlier than anyone expects.

And don't get me wrong. I really like Z and still have hopes he'll become a steady 2nd pair defenseman/penalty-killer. But it's looking more and more like his role on the team is bottom pair, and I don't think a) he'll be happy in that role long-term and b) we can afford to pay him what he's worth if that's all his role will be.

And honestly, at this point would you rather have Z, or, say, another highish-end goal-scoring forward prospect? Despite Z's unique and useful skillset, and I think long-term I'd rather have the forward prospect.

Honestly, other than 3rd string goalie, I think that's our biggest need right now. Who in our pipeline realistically projects to be a legit top 6 goal scorer? Kaut maybe? Newhook in several years maybe? Who else? I'd really like a near-NHL-ready goal scoring prospect in the system and I'd be willing to give up some defense depth to get him.
I agree with all this Mark.

I think it's unlikely that Zadorov is in an Avs sweater beyond next summer, for the reasons you outlined. He might even be gone sooner than that, though probably not before Cole returns in December.

Long-term the Top 4 should be pretty set:

Girard --- Makar
Byram --- Johnson

Beyond that it's anyone's guess how it will shake out. What is certain though is that the 3rd pairing LHD spot is the position on the roster where we have the most depth of any position, which will obviously work against Zadorov.

LHD's:
  • Cole - 2 years
  • Zadorov - 1 year (RFA)
  • Connauton - 1 year
  • Barberio - 1 year
  • Graves - 1 year (RFA)
  • Rosén - 2 years
  • MacDonald - 1 year
RHD's:
  • Timmins - 2 years (ELC)
  • Meloche - 1 year (ELC)
  • Alt - 1 year
  • Hellesson - 3+ years
It'll be interesting to see how this group plays out. Whatever happens I like that Sakic has set himself up in a strong position to be able to have this season to assess his options on that 3rd pairing before committing to anyone, Zadorov included. Having a group of 3rd pairing guys with only 1-2 years remaining also lines up nicely with the development timelines of Byram/Timmins/Meloche/etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: Patagonia and MarkT

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Sampo Ranta is the epitome of hockey sense. Beaucage is the epitome of skating. Buzzwords don’t equate to their actual plan or idea. They are for the media and for PR.

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
In response to @MarkT 'S post in the earlier trade thread: 2019 Free Agent Boredom Part IV, quoted here:

I agree with all this Mark.

I think it's unlikely that Zadorov is in an Avs sweater beyond next summer, for the reasons you outlined. He might even be gone sooner than that, though probably not before Cole returns in December.

Long-term the Top 4 should be pretty set:

Girard --- Makar
Byram --- Johnson

Beyond that it's anyone's guess how it will shake out. What is certain though is that the 3rd pairing LHD spot is the position on the roster where we have the most depth of any position, which will obviously work against Zadorov.

LHD's:
  • Cole - 2 years
  • Zadorov - 1 year (RFA)
  • Connauton - 1 year
  • Barberio - 1 year
  • Graves - 1 year (RFA)
  • Rosén - 2 years
  • MacDonald - 1 year
RHD's:
  • Timmins - 2 years (ELC)
  • Meloche - 1 year (ELC)
  • Alt - 1 year
It'll be interesting to see how this group plays out. Whatever happens I like that Sakic has set himself up in a strong position to be able to have this season to assess his options on that 3rd pairing before committing to anyone, Zadorov included. Having a group of 3rd pairing guys with only 1-2 years remaining also lines up nicely with the development timelines of Byram/Timmins/Meloche/etc.

Zadorov is a must, and a must in the long term. We need his grittiness and intimidation, it's something we sorely need.
I also think Timmins by mid season pushes EJ to 3rd pairing.

I also think you pair Girard and Makar situationally (and I mean when chasing goals), and not permanently.

Going forward, Zadorov, Byram, Makar, Timmins, Girard are the core, with an extra (Cole, EJ, Graves the most likely imo).

Honestly, we have the best defense "potentially" in the league in my opinion. Especially in a few years time (although a lot can happen, I know).

Reactions: Foppberg

Chiarelli

Jan 27, 2019
@cgf I get the idea that big defenders have been thought to take a while, but Pronger broke out in his 22 year old season. He was elite by his 23. EJ was very solid his first two seasons in the league, he stumbled a bit in his 3rd and Pietrangelo had made him expendable. He had flashed and was a legit top 4D, but the questions were there. His peak was certainly his 25/26 seasons, but has fallen off since. At 24, odds are very high this is just who Z is.
Most of Z issues may be related to maturity and that could change.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Zadorov is a must, and a must in the long term. We need his grittiness and intimidation, it's something we sorely need.
I also think Timmins by mid season pushes EJ to 3rd pairing.

I also think you pair Girard and Makar situationally (and I mean when chasing goals), and not permanently.

Going forward, Zadorov, Byram, Makar, Timmins, Girard are the core, with an extra (Cole, EJ, Graves the most likely imo).

Honestly, we have the best defense "potentially" in the league in my opinion. Especially in a few years time (although a lot can happen, I know).

It's a hard cap and they've got choices to make. It will all come down to how much Z wants to play for, because regardless of what happens I anticipate that he will want a hefty long-term deal, and that'll be too rich for the Avs' blood. I'd really like to keep him, but there's only so many $$$ they can, or even should, commit to him.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I love Z and will be eternally sad when he leaves, but I understand that he isn't going to be around forever with Byram and Girard on the left side clearly above him as early as next season. He likely won't accept either the role or the money of a bottom pairing D here.

Reactions: S E P H and MarkT

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
It's a hard cap and they've got choices to make. It will all come down to how much Z wants to play for, because regardless of what happens I anticipate that he will want a hefty long-term deal, and that'll be too rich for the Avs' blood. I'd really like to keep him, but there's only so many $$$ they can, or even should, commit to him.
Also comes down to need, surely. We'll have quite a few smallish skilled (VERY skilled ) guys.

If they all excel, and say Timmins is another productive guy, I'd maybe look at moving a PMD for a great winger for Mac or Kadri, and retain Zadorov.

EDIT: I think we need Zad in the team more than Girard, and I LOVE Girard

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
Sampo Ranta is the epitome of hockey sense. Beaucage is the epitome of skating. Buzzwords don’t equate to their actual plan or idea. They are for the media and for PR.

Yes, that's one way of looking at it. Or you could say the directive from Sakic is that prospects have to have at least one of the three (hockey sense, skill, speed). Since it's nearly impossible to only find guys with all three, it makes logical sense that they'd have to settle for 2/3 or even 1/3 on some guys. Now, if they draft a guy with none of the three, then you might have a point.

Foxtail

Mar 31, 2018
Nova Scotia
Absolutely. I’m really trying to figure out if Dorian is going to hit us on the east coast but hurricanes are just so unpredictable.
Dorian hitting here today, supposed to get 90km winds and boatload of rain. Calm before the storm right now. Will keep you updated.

Edit: 100-150 mm of rain expected and over 200mm possible. Yikes

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Also comes down to need, surely. We'll have quite a few smallish skilled (VERY skilled ) guys.

If they all excel, and say Timmins is another productive guy, I'd maybe look at moving a PMD for a great winger for Mac or Kadri, and retain Zadorov.

I love Zadorov, but Girard is the smarter player that fits the team more. Byram unless he busts, is locked into the 1st or 2nd line as possibly next season. It might eventually be Z that wants to leave from a financial and career perspective.

Girard will earn $5M p.a., which is unlikely to be exceeded by a player on the 3rd line. Z won’t get the same opportunities, regardless of his level of play to show being worth more. Given more minutes reduces opportunities for the greater skilled top 2 lines. .

Zadorov understandably would want more opportunities that could improve his bargaining financially. He also has the greatest upside from a trade perspective and agree with the other Posters, likely to be traded this year.

Last edited:
Reactions: Richard88

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Yes, that's one way of looking at it. Or you could say the directive from Sakic is that prospects have to have at least one of the three (hockey sense, skill, speed). Since it's nearly impossible to only find guys with all three, it makes logical sense that they'd have to settle for 2/3 or even 1/3 on some guys. Now, if they draft a guy with none of the three, then you might have a point.

The Z also fits ;)

They are simply buzzwords and not how the base their whole scouting. Every organization says these types of things and when meetings happen it is very different.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

Girard is certainly over-rated by many avs fans, but nah. We need samwise way more than we do Zads.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad