Rumor: 2019-2020 Trade Rumours and Free Agent Discussion Version 8 | we're on a break Ed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
7x7 would be pretty amazing for Landy. That would be the perfect example of a captain on a contending team that wants to win, setting a very early example to everyone else that taking a little less money will go a long way towards getting that cup win.

I expect 8.XXM but if we get him in the 7 neighborhood we should be thrilled.

I assume Landy will get Toews Captain extra. It starts with eight. It's reasonable. Not as good as Mikko with nine but it's good.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
I'd be willing to pay Landy more if he's willing to take a 4 or 5 year deal (or shorter). The fact is it's only a matter of time, given the way he plays, that we see a decline with him. The only question is whether that decline means a middle six player or barely NHL quality. Given he will be 29 when any new deal kicks in, I want to limit the team's risk on those 30+ years.

If I'm Sakic I also likely let the negotiations drag a bit to see how he performs the first half of next season. Given the recent history of power forwards in the NHL, the decline can hit hard and it can hit fast.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
I wonder how Sakic approaches Landy. If I were Sakic I'd start with a series of gifts and giftbaskets, including notes saying "We like you" and "Wanna meet me for dinner?"

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
My plan for the off season would be:

• try and get another forward, either a 2nd line winger or premium 3rd line center, either by trade or free agency.
  • I wonder if Sakic just might reup stinker and call it a day.
  • Trade Zad for some picks.
  • Steal underpants
  • Give Byram, Timmins and Kaut some ice time to see if they have it
  • If need be get the 2nd liner/3rd line center and Dman at the deadline if needed using picks in the 2021 draft
  • Hammer out extensions for Landeskog, Makar and Timmins
  • 2nd Cup

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
How do people rate Markström compared to Grubauer?

With 1 year left at $3.33m AAV I could see Grubauer being an attractive option for Vancouver if they aren't willing (or able) to resign Markström, as he would hold the fort for another year until Demko is ready to take over. Colorado have the capspace to easily sign Markström, and so if Markström is viewed as an upgrade it might be worth exploring.

Linds

Makalder
Jun 20, 2016
Canada
How do people rate Markström compared to Grubauer?

With 1 year left at $3.33m AAV I could see Grubauer being an attractive option for Vancouver if they aren't willing (or able) to resign Markström, as he would hold the fort for another year until Demko is ready to take over. Colorado have the capspace to easily sign Markström, and so if Markström is viewed as an upgrade it might be worth exploring.
Grubauer is 28 years old and has averaged better stats .920 save percentage throughout his career, ( actully improved his stats when he got to the NHL compared to juniors) where as Markstrom is 30 years old and averaged a 0.910 save percentage

I think I'd bet on Grubauer being the better goalie moving forward, both of them in my opinion are good NHL goalies, but neither of them are elite, they'll both be looking for 6 year contracts worth 5 to 6m per year

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
Grubauer is 28 years old and has averaged better stats .920 save percentage throughout his career, ( actully improved his stats when he got to the NHL compared to juniors) where as Markstrom is 30 years old and averaged a 0.910 save percentage

I think I'd bet on Grubauer being the better goalie moving forward, both of them in my opinion are good NHL goalies, but neither of them are elite, they'll both be looking for 6 year contracts worth 5 to 6m per year
I think you're right. With regards to the stats though keep in mind that Grubauer has played on much better teams (cup-winning Washington and a contender in Colorado) than Markström (Florida and a rebuilding Vancouver team).

Linds

Makalder
Jun 20, 2016
Canada
I think you're right. With regards to the stats though keep in mind that Grubauer has played on much better teams (cup-winning Washington and a contender in Colorado) than Markström (Florida and a rebuilding Vancouver team).
Very true, it's almost a coin flip

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019

Markström also has better stats this season:

upload_2020-7-13_5-16-1.png

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC

I hope we don’t pay close to that much & that long either of them.

Newusername

Jun 26, 2013
Is it though? History has shown that power forwards age very poorly.
Landeskog has drifted further and further away from the power forward role. He’s adapted his game, I feel him confident in him doing the same as his physical tools decline. I think he’s mis labeled a power forward, he throws around 140 hits/ year which is less than players like lucic, Dubinsky, ovechkin, brown. Still a physical defensive player but not a true power forward, Nate is more power forward imo

Reactions: McMetal

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Does anybody think we’ll actually see a Landeskog extension today? I wouldn’t be shocked.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
I'd be willing to pay Landy more if he's willing to take a 4 or 5 year deal (or shorter). The fact is it's only a matter of time, given the way he plays, that we see a decline with him. The only question is whether that decline means a middle six player or barely NHL quality. Given he will be 29 when any new deal kicks in, I want to limit the team's risk on those 30+ years.

If I'm Sakic I also likely let the negotiations drag a bit to see how he performs the first half of next season. Given the recent history of power forwards in the NHL, the decline can hit hard and it can hit fast.

I don't see it personally. Everyone keeps saying his body will breakdown etc. Sure if he played like in his first season with the Avs when he was Viking, but ever since then I feel like he has played fairly soft game. I don't see power forward there. He does it now and then but I wouldt worry about his longevity.

He works hard but he is not making huge hits and fighting every match. He plays fairly soft imo.

I think Landy realized after first season in NHL that he can't continue like that for twenty years, so he changed his style. He is fairly conservative today.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
I think it'll come down to this year's post-season whether or not Grubauer is brought back (extended).

I think he's a good goalie and he was superb in the playoffs last year. But the regular season has been a different story. 36-21-9 over two regular seasons that have been marred with inconsistency. Both years he's made comments, while struggling, which could be interpreted as throwing his teammates under the bus. And considering how good Francouz was this year, there's at least a small chance Frankie starts in the playoffs for Colorado.

Even though we have to talk rumors with a grain of salt, it came out that the Avs were looking at one of the Pittsburgh goalies (supposedly Murray). I don't think it's out of the question that the Avs flip Grubauer to a goalie needy team like Carolina and then bring someone else in.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
I think it'll come down to this year's post-season whether or not Grubauer is brought back (extended).

I think he's a good goalie and he was superb in the playoffs last year. But the regular season has been a different story. 36-21-9 over two regular seasons that have been marred with inconsistency. Both years he's made comments, while struggling, which could be interpreted as throwing his teammates under the bus. And considering how good Francouz was this year, there's at least a small chance Frankie starts in the playoffs for Colorado.

Even though we have to talk rumors with a grain of salt, it came out that the Avs were looking at one of the Pittsburgh goalies (supposedly Murray). I don't think it's out of the question that the Avs flip Grubauer to a goalie needy team like Carolina and then bring someone else in.

Yeah, he lacks with his own mental strength.

Reactions: shadow1

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
It's very unfair to say Francouz had the better year as well. When both guys were healthy Frankie was getting the softer starts and on good teams it's not uncommon for the backup goalie to put up better numbers than the starter.

Both goalies had a level of consistency issues you'd rather not see but overall both goalies were among the very best in the league.

We'll have to wait and see what playoffs and next season brings but for right now goaltending is a non issue and if Grubauer continues playing at the level he has the first 2 seasons with us on the large scale, that's a goalie who is easily worth 5M. That's what solid starters get paid and that's what Grubauer would be. A solid starter.

Reactions: McMetal

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Landeskog has drifted further and further away from the power forward role. He’s adapted his game, I feel him confident in him doing the same as his physical tools decline. I think he’s mis labeled a power forward, he throws around 140 hits/ year which is less than players like lucic, Dubinsky, ovechkin, brown. Still a physical defensive player but not a true power forward, Nate is more power forward imo
That doesn't change the fact that his contract will kick in at age 29. Very few long term contracts that start at age 29 age well.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
I don't see it personally. Everyone keeps saying his body will breakdown etc. Sure if he played like in his first season with the Avs when he was Viking, but ever since then I feel like he has played fairly soft game. I don't see power forward there. He does it now and then but I wouldt worry about his longevity.

He works hard but he is not making huge hits and fighting every match. He plays fairly soft imo.

I think Landy realized after first season in NHL that he can't continue like that for twenty years, so he changed his style. He is fairly conservative today.

Landy consistently goes to the tough areas of the ice. He often parks himself in front of the net and takes all the physical abuse that comes with this. He also plays a ton of minutes against top competition and yes does sometimes goes full viking mode. If you look around the league, guys who play like that often end up becoming significantly worse players as they age. In Landy's case, what happens if he gets a nagging or serious injury that affects his speed? Landy a step slower is no longer a top line winger. His current play style, as you pointed out, is a much softer game than before, but it's because he's started relying more on his speed and his hands.

Look, I'm not saying it's guaranteed that he declines any time soon, but based on comparable players around the league, I think the risks are higher on a long-term contract with him than with a player who plays a different style. Any time you sign a player to a long-term contract you're taking a big risk anyway.

Heck, even if he was a totally soft player, I'd still be wary of signing any 29 year old to a long-term deal. It's my opinion that every season after age 29 is a roll of the dice as to whether you see a decline in play. Look no further than the free agent class of 2016 to see some prime examples.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad