Rumor: 2019-2020 Trade Rumours and Free Agent Discussion Version 8 | we're on a break Ed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
Jost needs to go to a team with a slower style of play, he just isn't built for the way the Avs want to play. I've said it before, and I'll probably end up saying it again...he's a little too slow/weak to play the style of game that he wants to play and hasn't adjusted.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
2nd/3rd, hell, even a 4th. I'm not picky.

I don't think Tyson Jost is a very good NHL player. He's a 4th line caliber player, and has been that for 200+ NHL games.

Maybe, maybe he develops into a 3rd line forward but I don't see it.
A 3rd or 4th would be terrible return. A 2nd + 3rd would be what I'd move him for. Alternatively a 2nd + prospect. Anything less than that and we're better off keeping him around. At the very least he's a versatile and cheap depth forward, and that helps the team more than a mid-round draft pick does (especially since a 3rd or 4th probably never amounts to anything).

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis

I don't think Tyson Jost is a very good NHL player. He's a 4th line caliber player, and has been that for 200+ NHL games.

I generally agree... But even 4th line guys carry value, especially cost controlled 4th liners and even more especially 4th liners who are former first round picks and still under 23 years old.

I dont think Jost has crazy value, but definitely more than a 4th as well. My guess is in terms of pure pick value, he's worth a 2nd + 6th or along those lines right now.

I wonder if a few of those teams with a bunch of 2nd round picks actually use one of them to acquire Jost. Montreal, Ottawa, Detroit immediately jump to mind. I know some people here were also wondering about a potential Jost/Columbus deal that may have been close around the deadline.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Me too. A high 2nd would be much more valuable than the difference between a 3rd and 5th.

It’s going to be an interesting offseason for the Avs.

I don’t expect them to be particularly busy, but they have some key decisions to make on Jost and Zadorov. They also have important RFA’s to re-up and need to decide who they’re going to have on their bottom defence pair next season.

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
Jost needs to go to a team with a slower style of play, he just isn't built for the way the Avs want to play. I've said it before, and I'll probably end up saying it again...he's a little too slow/weak to play the style of game that he wants to play and hasn't adjusted.
NY Islanders play a more of a defensive style which would suit Jost's game rather well. How about packaging Jost with picks and/or a roster player to get Beauvillier from NYI?

Not sure what the return would need to be for Beauvillier as NYI probably aren't too keen to move him, but his high-intensity game would be a nice fit on our 2nd line. Alternatively we could do something around Jost and Bode Wilde to solifify our RHD depth.

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
It’s going to be an interesting offseason for the Avs.

I don’t expect them to be particularly busy, but they have some key decisions to make on Jost and Zadorov. They also have important RFA’s to re-up and need to decide who they’re going to have on their bottom defence pair next season.
There's plenty to do, but the moves are mostly quite predictable. The only one that isn't is what Sakic decides to do with the ~$6-7m capspace we have.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
There's plenty to do, but the moves are mostly quite predictable. The only one that isn't is what Sakic decides to do with the ~$6-7m capspace we have.

I think we’re all pretty much assuming they’re trading Jost and Zadorov, but it will be interesting to see if the playoffs change anything.

If Jost performs well, maybe they just keep him, since they’ll be losing Nieto.

If Zadorov goes on one of his stretches of good play, perhaps Cole is the one traded and Z stays on the bottom pair.

Reactions: arun

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
NY Islanders play a more of a defensive style which would suit Jost's game rather well. How about packaging Jost with picks and/or a roster player to get Beauvillier from NYI?

Not sure what the return would need to be for Beauvillier as NYI probably aren't too keen to move him, but his high-intensity game would be a nice fit on our 2nd line. Alternatively we could do something around Jost and Bode Wilde to solifify our RHD depth.

Naw. Not gonna happen. Beauvillier is better offensively than Jost and the difference in defensive ability is, near as I can tell, pretty negligible. Plus, Beauvillier is a better skater. You're also not getting a top defensive prospect for him.

Unless he thinks Tyson Jost is the next Sergei Brylin, I don't see Lou trading for him. And the return is not going to be great in any event. The only way I see Colorado getting a solid player in return is if that player is part of the other team's cap purge.

Reactions: McMetal

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013

He's worth more than that... He was a more effective player that Donskoi and Compher near the end.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
He's worth more than that... He was a more effective player that Donskoi and Compher near the end.

That means very little. Both are streaky players, but Donskoi's hot streaks are far, far better than Jost's.

If you're gearing yourself up for a big return for Jost I think you're in for a fairly big disappointment.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta

I don't care how effective he was over a couple of hockey games. If you're going to use that, then I can sell you on Nikita Zadorov being a 1st pairing defensemen.

Tyson Jost is a 4th line NHL forward who might become a 3rd line forward some day in the NHL. I don't have high hopes of that happening, and I'd like to move on from him sooner than later.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
A 3rd or 4th would be terrible return. A 2nd + 3rd would be what I'd move him for. Alternatively a 2nd + prospect. Anything less than that and we're better off keeping him around. At the very least he's a versatile and cheap depth forward, and that helps the team more than a mid-round draft pick does (especially since a 3rd or 4th probably never amounts to anything).
You don't trade Tyson Jost for the draft pick in order to use that draft pick. You trade Tyson Jost for a draft pick (or picks) so that you can use those as assets to get better hockey players when the time is right, such as the trade deadline if we're making a push.

Reactions: Gatorbait19

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Jost just doesn't have the skating to work here long-term. It wouldn't surprise me to see if the Avs kept him around as they obviously like him and want it to work, but I can't see him making it here.

Reactions: xpatriatedtexan

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

In fact, there’s a very real chance that that game in Ottawa was the last time Anderson will be seen in a Blue Jackets sweater.

He’s a restricted free agent with arbitration rights this offseason (whenever that may be), and he could force his way into a one-year contract by accepting his qualifying offer or by requesting arbitration.

Either of those scenarios would allow him to walk from Columbus as an unrestricted free agent after the 2020-21 season.

The situation has prompted many across the NHL to believe the Blue Jackets will try to trade Anderson before he has a contract in place for next season, perhaps trading him and a defenseman for help at forward.

Jost had 7 more goals and 19 more points than Anderson this season. It'd make sense for the BJs to try and upgrade from Anderson to Jost.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Jost just doesn't have the skating to work here long-term. It wouldn't surprise me to see if the Avs kept him around as they obviously like him and want it to work, but I can't see him making it here.

Frankly I don't think he'll amount to a whole lot in the NHL period. A marginal role-player at best. He puts up good underlying numbers and works hard, but he's hampered by long stretches where he's barely noticeable. The lack of speed and durability issues punch big holes in any positives he brings to the table.

One guy he kinds reminds me of is Kyle Chipchura, another first round pick with fairly high expectations who eventually washed out of the league due to durability and skating issues.

Reactions: xpatriatedtexan

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Anderson had a rough year. But assuming he recovers from his shoulder surgery successfully, Jost is not an upgrade at all over Anderson.

This... Anderson playing up to his ability is a 25-30 goal winger.

Nonsense. Avs_19 100% thinks that Tyson Jost is the upgrade, and would like for this team to downgrade to Josh Anderson. As would I.

:naughty:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad