Rumor: 2019-2020 Trade Rumours and Free Agent Discussion Version 7 | Post-Deadline Ed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chiarelli

Jan 27, 2019
I think Doughty’s the best dman in hockey.
ya I was wondering where the love was for Doughty myself.
He completely took over those games against Calgary this year just cuz he was fired up and hates Tkatchuk. I find most D are either good shutdown guys or good offensive players he is the closest to both.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Doughty is not what he used to be imo.

Hedman is the best D in the league. I don’t think Carlson will do it consistently, but if he continues his production from the last couple years, he deserves consideration as well.

Chiarelli

Jan 27, 2019
How would ppl feel about us going after Byfuglien on a one year deal?

The timeline and almost certain short term contract help us. Not sure what he has left but an extended layoff might help him heal and give it one last go.

I also doubt he finds a contender that can pay him as much as we can

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
A motivated Doughty is hard to beat. We haven't really seen him competing on a big stage for a while.
Completely agree. Even the best players often look bad on bad teams. Doughty already has his cups and he's locked in on a long term contract so he has financial security too. I can't really blame him if his motivation drops playing on one of the worst teams in the NHL. If a competitive team landed him in a trade I think he'd be fantastic for them.

Mighty Makar

I hate this fu*ken team
May 24, 2016
Even now...?
Yep! Kings suck, so Doughty doesn’t get much credit. Ask the players in the league who the best dman are and you’ll hear Doughty’s name a lot. I’m pretty sure McDavid said Doughty is the best dman in the world last season.

edit: McDavid said that in spring of 2018.

Reactions: avsfan09

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Yep! Kings suck, so Doughty doesn’t get much credit. Ask the players in the league who the best dman are and you’ll hear Doughty’s name a lot. I’m pretty sure McDavid said Doughty is the best dman in the world last season.

edit: McDavid said that in spring of 2018.

You need to take those types of comments with a huge grain of salt. Especially with hockey players. No young NHLer is going to call out a guy who used to be a legend or put a target on themselves by "disrespecting the vets" & saying that a fellow youngster like Seth Jones is the best blueliner in the game.

Last edited:

Mighty Makar

I hate this fu*ken team
May 24, 2016
You need to take those types of comments with a huge grain of salt. Especially with hockey players. No young NHLer is going to call out a guy who used to be a legend or put a target on themselves by "disrespecting the vets" & saying that a fellow youngster like Seth Jones is the best blueliner in the game.

Meh! I’m sure a lot of players think Doughty is one of the best dman in the world. I’m pretty sure he was voted 4th best recently by players in the league. He’s still f***en good.

To the window!
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2011
Mt Holly, NC
Why not? All he has to do is say “In my mind” or “the way I see it” before saying who he thinks is the best d in the league.

I do like Jones, though, I always have. He has a smoothness to him hard to describe.

Last edited:

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Maybe Doughty has slipped out of the top 3 these past couple years, but top 10 still? Definitely. He's still a fantastic all around defenseman, he just has no help in LA anymore.

To the window!
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2011
Mt Holly, NC
Maybe Doughty has slipped out of the top 3 these past couple years, but top 10 still? Definitely. He's still a fantastic all around defenseman, he just has no help in LA anymore.
I haven’t been able to watch the NHL as much as I’d like the last couple of years and I can’t realistically get into an argument (at least one I can back up with a good opinion) of who is best today, but my two favorite D’s of the last decade or so were Keith and Doughty. That guy (Doughty) was awesome when it counted.

Last edited:

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019

Jones isn’t quite there yet for me. I’d like to see a little more offensive production out of him, before elevating him to best D in the world.

He’s only 25 though, so I think he’ll get there in a year, or two.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Jones isn’t quite there yet for me. I’d like to see a little more offensive production out of him, before elevating him to best D in the world.

He’s only 25 though, so I think he’ll get there in a year, or two.
I mean he plays on PP2 in CBJ if I’m not mistaken so he misses out in production there. But you get 40-60 points a year out of one of the best defensive players in the league. I still think he’s behind Hedman but not by much.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
I mean he plays on PP2 in CBJ if I’m not mistaken so he misses out in production there. But you get 40-60 points a year out of one of the best defensive players in the league. I still think he’s behind Hedman but not by much.

Yeah, I think he gets about 45 seconds less PP time than Hedman.

I agree, that it’s not a huge gap.

I think if he’s in the 50+ point range the next couple years, he could easily take the title. I’d also look for Heiskanen/Dahlin/Hughes/Makar to enter the conversation shortly thereafter.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Yeah, I think he gets about 45 seconds less PP time than Hedman.

I agree, that it’s not a huge gap.

I think if he’s in the 50+ point range the next couple years, he could easily take the title. I’d also look for Heiskanen/Dahlin/Hughes/Makar to enter the conversation shortly thereafter.
Yeah style wise Heiskanen will be similar to Jones as they’re more shutdown dmen who can produce whereas Hughes and Makar are much more offensive minded.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I haven’t been able to watch the NHL as much as I’d like the last couple of years and I can’t realistically get into an argument (at least one I can back up with a good opinion) of who is best today, but my two favorite D’s of the last decade or so were Keith and Doughty. That guy (Doughty) was awesome when it counted.
I loved Keith too, but man, he has slipped FAR. His skating has taken a big hit, and while his mind still allows him to be somewhat effective, his mobility makes it next to impossible for him to dominate like he used to.

Reactions: cgf and 5280

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
He could have chosen Hedman just as easily. Why was he only worried about disrespecting Doughty out of all the other Dmen that have a fair claim.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad