Rumor: 2019-2020 Trade Rumours and Free Agent Discussion - Trilogy of Five

Status
Not open for further replies.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Sad as it is to say, Kreider is smarter than Burakovsky. And I am no fan of Kreider.
Kreider is a solid player, I watched him yesterday against the Leafs and he's what Kevin Hayes should be. I think Hayes has a level more offensive talent, but Kreider is much better at using his body in regards to winning puck battles (along the boards) and puck protection (IE he's more of a powerforward). He isn't a catalyst, but he's a very good complimentary piece for a second line. Now with that said, I don't think he is a player who deserves to be traded for a first round pick, but Rags will do all they can to try and get one.

I wonder if we target Kassian if the Oilers are out, he’s played on a line very similar in style to MacK/Rants and adds that physicality we really need.
Maroon instead.

Reactions: Avs_19

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Kreider plays a power game and is on pace for yet another 20+ goal and 40+ point season. The only years he hasn't hit those marks are when he missed a bunch of games and still came pretty close. He has also put up some solid numbers in the playoffs and we know his style of play translates well when things get tougher.

If the asking price is ridiculous then I completely understand staying away but I just don't get the outright refusal by some. The streaky fringe top six wingers the Avs brought in, who I actually like, each only have one goal in the last 10 games. Compher also has one (last night) and Jost has zero. Someone like Pageau might be ideal but I don't think adding another winger would simply just be a luxury. Again, if the price is reasonable, y'all don't think Kreider would help against the Blues in a potential playoff series? On a side note, check out how this past offseason's "rocks for brains" (J.T. Miller) is doing now that he's getting more ice time again.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
What do you think if our pool prospect include Fagemo,Puistola and Dorofeyev instead
Helleson,Stienburg and Beaucage.
Helleson is very a good pick, people are stat-whacking if they say otherwise, just like they did with Annunen last year. I would've liked Robertson, but I am a nobody so it is what it is.

Murmurs are - based on the interviews by Hepple - that Avs wanted Alexandrov, who would've been a fantastic selection there. Stienburg was a bad pick, but I wouldn't consider him entirely useless either. He plays a very NHL style of game, it just depends on how much untapped talent he has considering he's jumping from a low High-school prep league straight to the NCAA. Puistola would've been a better pick no doubt. Beaucage was also a pretty bad pick, but more in regards to risk which I actually respect by the Avs. His skating is extremely bad and Dorofeyev has a better chance of making it easily, but if Beaucage can get to below-average to average then his sniper qualities are quite tantalizing. His entire game though is very Burakovsky-esque, hope teammates do all the work and give you the puck in a prime position.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Kreider plays a power game and is on pace for yet another 20+ goal and 40+ point season. The only years he hasn't hit those marks are when he missed a bunch of games and still came pretty close. He has also put up some solid numbers in the playoffs and we know his style of play translates well when things get tougher.

If the asking price is ridiculous then I completely understand staying away but I just don't get the outright refusal by some. The streaky fringe top six wingers the Avs brought in, who I actually like, each only have one goal in the last 10 games. Compher also has one (last night) and Jost has zero. Someone like Pageau might be ideal but I don't think adding another winger would simply just be a luxury. Again, if the price is reasonable, y'all don't think Kreider would help against the Blues in a potential playoff series? On a side note, check out how this past offseason's "rocks for brains" (J.T. Miller) is doing now that he's getting more ice time again.

He just does so many things that are infuriating to watch...he really helps ya understand why coaches will fall in love with crap players who know better than to ever do the monumentally stupid s*** that Kreider does.

I wouldn't say no if the price was cheap enough for us to still add a 3c & top 4 guy, but he's in the Bura tier for me...even if a little higher within that tier due to the physical contributions he can make. But god damn is he a dumb hockey player...

Last edited:

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Helleson is very a good pick, people are stat-whacking if they say otherwise, just like they did with Annunen last year. I would've liked Robertson, but I am a nobody so it is what it is.

Murmurs are - based on the interviews by Hepple - that Avs wanted Alexandrov, who would've been a fantastic selection there. Stienburg was a bad pick, but I wouldn't consider him entirely useless either. He plays a very NHL style of game, it just depends on how much untapped talent he has considering he's jumping from a low High-school prep league straight to the NCAA. Puistola would've been a better pick no doubt. Beaucage was also a pretty bad pick, but more in regards to risk which I actually respect by the Avs. His skating is extremely bad and Dorofeyev has a better chance of making it easily, but if Beaucage can get to below-average to average then his sniper qualities are quite tantalizing. His entire game though is very Burakovsky-esque, hope teammates do all the work and give you the puck in a prime position.

Dorofeyev is a Gusev-knockoff. His game will do well on the big ice of the KHL and he might be effective in the NHL...on a slow team that can give him physical linemates that make space for him...but I'll be shocked if he's ever anything more than a middling 2nd liner on NHL ice. His skillset just doesn't project nearly as well to the NHL level & style of play as it does to the russian & junior games. He's just not quick or powerful enough to create space for himself on the smaller ice; and he needs that time & space to utilize his skill.

Not really a defense of Beaucage, just sayin that people might not want to rush into buying Doro-hype. This isn't a Kuch falling to the 2nd situation unless some significant parts of Dorofeyev's skillset change in unexpected ways...i.e. his skating can be improved enough for him to become an elite NHL skater that has the sudden-ness & agility to create his own time & space.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
What do you think if our pool prospect include Fagemo,Puistola and Dorofeyev instead
Helleson,Stienburg and Beaucage.

I wouldn't think anything?

Completely unfair to pick 3 guys playing in this tournament as if to say we made the wrong picks.

Especially considering Beaucage is having a phenomenal D+1 season anyway.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
I would take Kreider. I think Pageau is a better fit, because the Avs have more wing depth than centre depth, but both would be useful pickups.

Kreider’s a big body with goal scoring ability and given his age and contract situation I can’t imagine the price would be exorbitant.

He could go up and down the lineup and add some nice depth.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Dorofeyev is a Gusev-knockoff. His game will do well on the big ice of the KHL and he might be effective in the NHL...on a slow team that can give him physical linemates that make space for him...but I'll be shocked if he's ever anything more than a middling 2nd liner on NHL ice. His skillset just doesn't project nearly as well to the NHL level & style of play as it does to the russian & junior games. He's just not quick or powerful enough to create space for himself on the smaller ice; and he needs that time & space to utilize his skill.

Not really a defense of Beaucage, just sayin that people might not want to rush into buying Doro-hype. This isn't a Kuch falling to the 2nd situation unless some significant parts of Dorofeyev's skillset change in unexpected ways...i.e. his skating can be improved enough for him to become an elite NHL skater that has the sudden-ness & agility to create his own time & space.
I actually agree that Dorofeyev isn't something special or as you say a Kucherov situation. However, I am more concerned that Beau even makes the NHL at this point of time, of course Doro might not even come to the NHL so you have that situation as well.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Rather the Avs target Saad first before Kreider. Price should be about the same. Saad might even be cheaper if they value someone like Compher more than the Rangers.

Saad plays a more complete game and would fit in Bednar's system better IMO. Plus he's under contract next year.

Brett44

Feb 11, 2017

I agree than Helleson will be a good selection but Fagemo (and Robertson) will be top 6 winger.
But with our team a player like Puistola ( very fast) will be a big upgrade on our top 6.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
My objection to Kreider isn't that he might be a bad fit. He has the speed and aggression to work on Bednar's team, he brings size this club could use. It's not like he's superfluous in some way...however.

1) Giving up a 1st rounder (+) for a rental is sheer idiocy, doesn't particularly matter who the rental is. It's just giving away assets. If a hole is big enough it warrants giving up a 1st+ for a player odds are the hole is going to be a repeated problem in the lineup every single year...which means the smart thing to do is to cough up more up front to plug the gap long term. The Jets did the opposite of this by giving up two 1sts, Lemieux, and Foley to buy two rentals in back to back seasons, Stastny and Hayes, and now a year later are down two 1st round picks + two decent youngsters with absolutely nothing to show for it. Completely idiocy.
So Kreider would have to come with an extension (or the essential promise of one), but I think the club that gives Kreider a 6-7 year ~6 million per year deal is going to really regret it. And I see no reason to believe that a powerforward like Kreider isn't going to be smart enough to push for money and term. This is his one and only shot at a payday. So either a rental Kreider or Kreider on a stupid contract? Not feeling it.

2) If spending big assets I'd rather it be on a centre and defensman first and foremost. But if big assets are spent on a winger...I really think the club needs a talented playmaker on the wings more than anything else. Burakovsky is basically his shot + some playmaking talent if given a lot of space (and literally nothing else of value to his game). Compher and Donskoi look like streaky ~45 point wingers for the next few years, neither are particularly creative. Kadri, as talented as he clearly is, doesn't use linemates well and goes for the one man show far too often. Now maybe a Kreider on his wing would help create space for Kadri to do his thing, but I really think a creative playmaker who works to get Kadri the puck would be the optimum fit there. I'd rather the Avs spend assets on their bigger gaps + be a little more patient on acquiring a winger until they find the right fit.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
Kreider would be a good addition and give the Avs another weapon at even strength.

Burakovsky and Donskoi have been struggling lately, but it has to be kept in mind neither player gets PP time due to the #1 unit eating up 95% of every two minute infraction. Any player the Avalanche acquire needs to be someone who can score without PP time and I think Kreider fits that bill.

But if the Avs miss out, hopefully Colin Wilson will return looking healthy. He's a good player, and frankly I'd like to see him in the Kadri spot on PP1 when he comes back.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
I actually think Kreider would do well on the Avs, and I think he’s a better fit in the bumper spot than Kadri. I do think we need a better top-6 option, but also think Pageau could fit that bill better. I’d be a proponent of having him and Kadri on the same line with them switching off on face offs depending on strong side. Plus, Kadri doesn’t necessarily play like your classic Center, so I could see it working

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
But if the Avs miss out, hopefully Colin Wilson will return looking healthy. He's a good player, and frankly I'd like to see him in the Kadri spot on PP1 when he comes back.
I have trouble posting gifs on my tablet, so can we just imagine the Ru Paul slap here?

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'
My objection to Kreider isn't that he might be a bad fit. He has the speed and aggression to work on Bednar's team, he brings size this club could use. It's not like he's superfluous in some way...however.

1) Giving up a 1st rounder (+) for a rental is sheer idiocy, doesn't particularly matter who the rental is. It's just giving away assets. If a hole is big enough it warrants giving up a 1st+ for a player odds are the hole is going to be a repeated problem in the lineup every single year...which means the smart thing to do is to cough up more up front to plug the gap long term. The Jets did the opposite of this by giving up two 1sts, Lemieux, and Foley to buy two rentals in back to back seasons, Stastny and Hayes, and now a year later are down two 1st round picks + two decent youngsters with absolutely nothing to show for it. Completely idiocy.
So Kreider would have to come with an extension (or the essential promise of one), but I think the club that gives Kreider a 6-7 year ~6 million per year deal is going to really regret it. And I see no reason to believe that a powerforward like Kreider isn't going to be smart enough to push for money and term. This is his one and only shot at a payday. So either a rental Kreider or Kreider on a stupid contract? Not feeling it.

2) If spending big assets I'd rather it be on a centre and defensman first and foremost. But if big assets are spent on a winger...I really think the club needs a talented playmaker on the wings more than anything else. Burakovsky is basically his shot + some playmaking talent if given a lot of space (and literally nothing else of value to his game). Compher and Donskoi look like streaky ~45 point wingers for the next few years, neither are particularly creative. Kadri, as talented as he clearly is, doesn't use linemates well and goes for the one man show far too often. Now maybe a Kreider on his wing would help create space for Kadri to do his thing, but I really think a creative playmaker who works to get Kadri the puck would be the optimum fit there. I'd rather the Avs spend assets on their bigger gaps + be a little more patient on acquiring a winger until they find the right fit.
A like is not nearly enough for this post. You basically wrote my thoughts exactly, in a much more articulate way than I could have.

Reactions: xpatriatedtexan

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006

We can't rely on Wilson doing anything special.

Reactions: Hornstar

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
We can't rely on Wilson doing anything special.

He's not special, but he's really good in the Andrew Brunette (read: Kadri) spot on the Power Play. He's great at deflections, or at least he was at the end of last season/last post-season.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
He's not special, but he's really good in the Andrew Brunette (read: Kadri) spot on the Power Play. He's great at deflections, or at least he was at the end of last season/last post-season.

I'm not sure we really know if Wilson is good in that spot on the PP or if he just got hot.

He struggled just as much as everyone else when Bednar tried him there before the end of last year.

AvsMakar08

Feb 14, 2017
New York
In the offseason, If Hall wants to sign with Avs, then we can get our top 6 winger for nothing. I just hope we will have enough cap room.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006

He had a few of those last season, but he would be scouted. He's too one-dimensional on the PP.

What we need is Rantanen to be better and Kadri to not lose the puck or take poorly-timed shots.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
He had a few of those last season, but he would be scouted. He's too one-dimensional on the PP.

What we need is Rantanen to be better and Kadri to not lose the puck or take poorly-timed shots.

That's one area that is really hurting us. Mikko isn't creating much of anything when the puck does get over to him. At his best hed punish guys that pressured him with elite passes. Or if he wasn't pressured enough hed create his own shooting lane.

It may be time to give Kadri the half wall and move Mikko down behind the net. If hes having a hard time handling the puck he can use his body down low and clean up or or get those short passes through that hes so good at from behind the net.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta

I don't disagree with anything here. I have two fears when it comes to Chris Kreider:

1) Paying an absurd amount for him
2) Actually re-signing him

If you can avoid paying a crap ton for him, and you can avoid being the team that gives him a long-term contract, then I'm all for it.

Reactions: McMetal and Avs_19
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad