Status
Not open for further replies.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Personally I'd shake up the lineup like this...

Calvert - MacKinnon - Donskoi
Burakovsky - Kadri - Rantanen
Landeskog - Bellemare - Nichushkin
Nieto - Jost - Compher (maybe work Kam in there somewhere)

Reunite the "Injury Line" and also put Rants back with Kadri, who have shown some good chemistry in the past. I think Landy's workload needs to be downgraded quite a bit as he just cannot keep up with the play at present. Not sure it'll work, especially since Donskoi's play has regressed, but I think it's worth a try. Just waiting for the top line to "play through it" is clearly not working.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I really like Burakovsky. Even through his recent offensive dry spell. He’s a defensive train wreck but he’s still creating a lot of chances with the puck.

Reactions: Murzu and Foppberg

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
In general, my instinct would be to replace Bura with a workhorse 3rd wheel if Kadri & Rantanen got put together. But trying Bura there if they got put together right now, makes sense given the funk so many of our guys are in.

Totally on board with trusting MacK to keep delivering with two grinders winning the puck for him.

Last edited:

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I really like Burakovsky. Even through his recent offensive dry spell. He’s a defensive train wreck but he’s still creating a lot of chances with the puck.

My biggest issue with Bura is that we still need 1 more winger to bump him down the totem pole. If he was platooning with Donskoi as the 6th man in our (full health) top-6, he'd be a nifty piece; who's usage a coach could scale up & down based on his form & self-confidence.

The other main concern for me is that ideally, we wouldn't devote any more to him than the Jimmothy contract moving forward...but Jimmothy is already signed to the Jimmothy contract.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
Bura has shown that he has a monster shot, and may have some of the best vision on the team in terms of playmaking. But he needs time to make plays, and his line mates aren’t great at creating that sense of chaos. I think he’d do great with a guy that requires attention (one of the reasons he did so well with MacKinnon) or with linemates that just create a ton of pressure on the other team.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I don't know if the Avs can afford to pay their 3C $5M x 5 with the raises due to Landy, Makar, Grubauer, and MacKinnon in the next few years. Plus Byram and Timmins in 2-3 years as well.

They're going to have to either replace or give a raise to Kadri in a few years too if Newhook can't take on that role by then. If they do, they're going to be hard pressed to find a good one at the $4.5M Kadri's making now.

A lot depends on what happens with Zads, Bura/his replacement, if we're going to give someone else Cole's contract & Newhook's development...as well as those cornerstone contracts you listed.

I'm anxious about the idea of ~doubling Kadri's salary on his next contract, right as he enters his 30s; and if he gets another 30 goal season with us that's not an unrealistic salary for him to get as a UFA if he decides to take his last opportunity to really cash in.

So I'm kinda thinking we won't be extending him...especially if we have someone like Pageau signed, to help shepherd Newhook in & Newhook is looking good at C in the NHL; rather than ending up the Bura-upgrade that I want, on the wing.

Reactions: Foppa2118

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Ya, the dude just pumps out content every single day.

A lot of it is pretty pedestrian, he doesn't really add much valuable insight, but he is consistent, goes against the normal type of content we see, and he at least makes a legit attempt to watch all teams as much as he can. Plus he seems like a likable enough person as well.

I was skeptical of his channel at first and I certainly dont watch every video but he's definitely done well for himself.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
The Hockey Guy has over 100k subs? Damn, good for him.
He's doing this as a full-time job. He has ads and patreon and other stuff to make money from.

I only subscribed like a month ago and now I watch most of his stuff daily. It's not Grade A opinion and news but it's mildly entertaining to watch as a hockey fan.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Ya, imagine having that as your full time job and basically starting it and creating your channel from scratch by yourself.

Just watching hockey all day and posting videos non stop. That must be amazing and a lot of fun for him right now given how passionate he clearly is for the sport.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Ya, imagine having that as your full time job and basically starting it and creating your channel from scratch by yourself.

Just watching hockey all day and posting videos non stop. That must be amazing and a lot of fun for him right now given how passionate he clearly is for the sport.
The thing that worries me is he's pumping 3+ vids daily, 7 days a week. He never takes a break. As cool as it sounds, he'll get tired of it sooner or later and either the quality will decrease and it will feel botched or he'll burn himself out and stop doing it altogether.

If he plans on doing this long term (and I think he does) it would be better for him to take a day off (or two) every week.

Reactions: Murzu

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
The thing that worries me is he's pumping 3+ vids daily, 7 days a week. He never takes a break. As cool as it sounds, he'll get tired of it sooner or later and either the quality will decrease and it will feel botched or he'll burn himself out and stop doing it altogether.

If he plans on doing this long term (and I think he does) it would be better for him to take a day off (or two) every week.

They are fresh videos? He could always schedule them and make more per day.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
A lot depends on what happens with Zads, Bura/his replacement, if we're going to give someone else Cole's contract & Newhook's development...as well as those cornerstone contracts you listed.

I'm anxious about the idea of ~doubling Kadri's salary on his next contract, right as he enters his 30s; and if he gets another 30 goal season with us that's not an unrealistic salary for him to get as a UFA if he decides to take his last opportunity to really cash in.

So I'm kinda thinking we won't be extending him...especially if we have someone like Pageau signed, to help shepherd Newhook in & Newhook is looking good at C in the NHL; rather than ending up the Bura-upgrade that I want, on the wing.

Yeah I think there's a good chance Kadri gets a decent raise, which means the Avs will be unlikely to sign him. Unfortunately, if they need to go outside the organization to find a 2C, it'll likely cost more than Kadri's $4.5M too. That's the issue.

I'm not sure about shepherding Newhook in with Pageau though if the Avs are planning on being a Cup contender. They'd basically have to make that decision when they signed him this year, because they'd be committing a lot of money and years to him, and he could easily turn back into a 30-35 point guy. That's not enough for a stop gap 2C.

I like Pageau's game a lot for a 3C, but there's just a bit too much risk of regression and cap impact to sign him to a long term deal IMO if he's commanding $5M or so.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
Pageau would be a great rental (if he didn't cost an arm and a leg), but signing him long term is asking for trouble.

Bowers is close to being NHL ready. Heck, the kid got an extended look in training camp this year. Having him play on an ELC for the next three years is going to pay dividends for the Avalanche because Sakic will be able to invest money in other places.

Signing Pageau long term when he's the hot commodity in the midst of a career season screams Glen Sather, circa his entire Rangers GM tenure.

AvsMakar08

Feb 14, 2017
New York

He is planning to go on road trips with his family and watch the games live. One of his cats you no longer see, because the cat "apparently ate herself".

atreyuavenged

Nov 28, 2013
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I've been watching Hockey Guy for a bit. Enjoy his content. He says mostly surface level stuff for teams he's not a fan of, but it's passable. I do worry that he will burn himself out. He might take a bit of a break when hockey dies down but I think he does other types of videos during that time.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
THG is pretty good, he has pretty solid knowledge about the game and every team. A lot of his content I don't have a lot of interest in, but he deserves to make money off of what he does.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Yeah I think there's a good chance Kadri gets a decent raise, which means the Avs will be unlikely to sign him. Unfortunately, if they need to go outside the organization to find a 2C, it'll likely cost more than Kadri's $4.5M too. That's the issue.

I'm not sure about shepherding Newhook in with Pageau though if the Avs are planning on being a Cup contender. They'd basically have to make that decision when they signed him this year, because they'd be committing a lot of money and years to him, and he could easily turn back into a 30-35 point guy. That's not enough for a stop gap 2C.

I like Pageau's game a lot for a 3C, but there's just a bit too much risk of regression and cap impact to sign him to a long term deal IMO if he's commanding $5M or so.

I didn't necessarily mean holding down the 2c. Since Kadri does have 2 seasons after this one, in which to polish Newhook. By that point Newhook should be ready to step in on the 2nd line if he's going to reach that level. I just meant that JPG could do some heavy lifting defensively then, to make the transition to 2C easier on Newhook.

JH21

Oct 20, 2019
I'll agree that I'm not certain Toffoli would be a big upgrade, if any sort of upgrade, on Burakovsky.

He wouldn't.

Burakovsky has more goals and points and is a better offensive player.

If we were bringing in Toffoli as a 3rd line upgrade then sure. But at this stage of his career he isn't a top 6 forward on a playoff team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad