Rumor: 2019-2020 Trade Rumours and Free Agent Discussion Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThatAvsGamer

Feb 21, 2013
Ontario
I'd argue better. The biggest hurdle for them will be getting by TB but as we saw last year it's very possible.

Unpopular opinion but I don't consider the Avs a true contender. I'd like to see some more dominance from them in the regular season and not just 8th place finishes. I'm also skeptical of the back end. Gru included.

very unpopular

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
How many cup contenders can a conference have? I’d easily put hawks, Nashville as more dominant central teams. sharks and ducks were also more serious cup contenders than the blues prior to the blues winning the cup.

The Blues were perennial threats to make the playoffs, not perennial Stanley Cup contenders. They always exited in the first round. But being perennial threats to make the playoffs makes it much easier to win a Cup over a five year period.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I'd argue better. The biggest hurdle for them will be getting by TB but as we saw last year it's very possible.

Unpopular opinion but I don't consider the Avs a true contender. I'd like to see some more dominance from them in the regular season and not just 8th place finishes. I'm also skeptical of the back end. Gru included.

TBH I don't think we are either atm, but I also don't think the things holding us back -- another top 6er & experience on the blueline -- are too big of hurdles for us to overcome...especially given the wealth of futures we still have.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
How many cup contenders can a conference have? I’d easily put hawks, Nashville as more dominant central teams. sharks and ducks were also more serious cup contenders than the blues prior to the blues winning the cup.
Well that's the whole point of the debate. The best team on paper doesn't always win and you need a long window to have a better chance.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
So AJ was talking to a “scout” but doesn’t know what team he works for?

Do you guys know how NHL scouts operate? They don’t disclose who they’re there to look at. They sure as hell don’t disclose that information before even introducing themselves. AJ who has legit credentials would have no troubke to figure out who this “scout” was and what organization he works with if he wanted to.

I don’t doubt that AJ had a chat with a scout at the game, but there’s no chance in hell an NHL scout told him he was there specifically to observe Jost or else there would be a huge article written about what organization is scouting Jost so that he could potentially be the first to bring that rumor if a trade ever was to happen. This would be potentially ground breaking territory for AJ.

1. Pull your panties out of your ass bud
2. I never said AJ didn't know what team he worked for, he didn't specify on his podcast most likely intentionally. I honestly have no idea why that's the point you're running with
3. If you honestly don't think scouts talk to the people around them they're comfortable with you don't understand how human beings work
4. My post clearly wasn't intended for you so stay in your lane braaaaaa. You clearly don't like AJ, we all get it, no need to climb a tower with a megaphone every time he's brought up. Take a deep breath, move along

Reactions: NOTENOUGHBREWER

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
That's because you let actual results cloud your memory which is a mistake.

During the Stastny era the Blues were absolutely considered cup contenders. They did some tweaks and inherited Binnington but the Pietrangelo/Tarasenko/Parayko/Schwartz/Schenn core didn't change. They have been a cap team with high expectations for quite some time.

They needed a center... went after Stastny and it didn't work, tried again with ROR and it worked.

Our fanbase got really hurt with the failure of the previous rebuild and it shows in these discussions. I understand that some are afraid of missing the boat again but we're certainly not in a position to push all-in and cut our window in half (or worse).

You don't push all-in at the beginning of a poker tourney with pocket 7's. We just sat at the table.
Beautiful post. Agree 100% with this.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
1. Pull your panties out of your ass bud
2. I never said AJ didn't know what team he worked for, he didn't specify on his podcast most likely intentionally. I honestly have no idea why that's the point you're running with
3. If you honestly don't think scouts talk to the people around them they're comfortable with you don't understand how human beings work
4. My post clearly wasn't intended for you so stay in your lane braaaaaa. You clearly don't like AJ, we all get it, no need to climb a tower with a megaphone every time he's brought up. Take a deep breath, move along
He seems pretty chill to me. AJ/Dater have this weird fandom despite them both being subpar at their jobs which fascinates me.

AJ does work hard I'll give him that.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
TBH I don't think we are either atm, but I also don't think the things holding us back -- another top 6er & experience on the blueline -- are too big of hurdles for us to overcome...especially given the wealth of futures we still have.

I wouldn't be shocked to see the Avs pick up both at the deadline. Savard is a guy you've mentioned and I agree he'd be a great fit if he's available.

Up front it would depend on who is out of the playoffs, but ideally I'd like a goal scorer.

You might be shocked to hear me say it, but I think this is the year it's okay to start trading a few futures for right now. I still don't want them to sell the farm, but one or two trades involving futures (or Zadorov or Jost) is okay with me.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I wouldn't be shocked to see the Avs pick up both at the deadline. Savard is a guy you've mentioned and I agree he'd be a great fit if he's available.

Up front it would depend on who is out of the playoffs, but ideally I'd like a goal scorer.

You might be shocked to hear me say it, but I think this is the year it's okay to start trading a few futures for right now. I still don't want them to sell the farm, but one or two trades involving futures (or Zadorov or Jost) is okay with me.

From your fingertips to Joe's ears :crossfing:crossfing:crossfing

It's imminently doable, but I just worry that it'll be too tempting for Joe to wait this season out since our blueline inexperience should (in theory) solve itself (sooner or later) and since I get the feeling that Joe expects Newhook to be that final piece upfront, who can feed Kadri for 30+

So I'm skeptical that we'll actually be aggressive about putting ourselves in position to capitalize on this season, even though I totally agree that it's very doable & wouldn't require giving up the farm.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Safe to say that Drouin is no longer available and his "availability" was short lived as predicted.

As for Tatar I don't think Montreal would move him as long as they are in the playoff race.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
With the wild being the worst team in the league (love it) I want to target some of their guys, but doubt we’d deal them and vice versa.

Guerin should have started selling as soon as he got the job. In fact it should have been a pre-hiring condition coming straight from ownership.

Instead, he signed a 31 year old man to a 5-year contract.

Gatorbait19

Apr 2, 2019
Guerin should have started selling as soon as he got the job. In fact it should have been a pre-hiring condition coming straight from ownership.

Instead, he signed a 31 year old man to a 5-year contract.

Fenton gave Zucc the 5 yr deal, so that part’s not on him. However, if I was Guerin I would’ve gone into interview process telling them the plan needs to be a total tear down and rebuild. I assume it’s ownership that doesn’t want commit to the rebuild and empty seats.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Fenton gave Zucc the 5 yr deal, so that part’s not on him. However, if I was Guerin I would’ve gone into interview process telling them the plan needs to be a total tear down and rebuild. I assume it’s ownership that doesn’t want commit to the rebuild and empty seats.

My bad. I thought Guerin was hired before free agency.

Why the f*** did they wait after the draft and after free agency to fire Fenton? Morons.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Dadonov would be a fantastic addition to the Top 6.

I did not realize Dadonov was a UFA this summer either. He might be my #2 target behind Hall this season. Think he'd compliment our current Top 6 incredibly well.

If Florida is out of it in December I'd offer Jost for Dadonov and then immediately try and work on 5-6 year extension for Dads in the ~7M neighborhood.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce