Rumor: 2019-2020 Trade Rumours and Free Agent Discussion Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
My dumbass speculation, but I think Sakic won't trade the 1st round pick for a 2nd line winger until he's damn well sure about Grubauer is a quality starter. I could see trading for Quick out of LA being a backup plan.

Reactions: CB Joe

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
I don't see a trade until December at the earliest. The team needs time to gel. Aside from Ottawa I don't think any team wants to give up on the season already so it might be hard to find a seller.

Reactions: Foppa2118

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Re: Landeskog's next contract

He knows that it's going to be his last juicy contract and he's going to want to bank on his numbers from the 1st line. Best case scenario would be a 4 or 5 year deal but I could see him going for a lower AAV in exchange for a longer contract.

Even if he's less physical these days I just can't see him aging well.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I dont think we trade until the deadline. But I hope we're more aggressive than that.

Even adding a guy like Kreider in December month instead of the deadline could be the difference between home ice advantage in the first round or starting on the road for us.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
My dumbass speculation, but I think Sakic won't trade the 1st round pick for a 2nd line winger until he's damn well sure about Grubauer is a quality starter. I could see trading for Quick out of LA being a backup plan.
I think Sakic is sold on Grubs. He won't trade for a winger until he realizes that Bura sucks and there's nothing Bednar can do to fix that.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I'm not sure that anyone is saying Joe needs to make a trade ASAP, we're just trying to look ahead & predict what this team will need by the postseason to legitimately contend...and that's not just based on 2 games.

It's certainly possible that Jost breaks out once he & Kadri click and Bura finally "puts it all together" -- and if either of those happen I will be celebrating right there with CB Joe, Foppa2118, Sea Eagles, etc. -- but there's good reason to doubt those things happening. And if they don't we'd be left with only plus 3rd liners and the hope that Newhook will be ready to pull a Cale for us this time around, as our only internal solutions for the current hole we have on Kadri's wing.

I'm certainly not saying we need to make something happen ASAP. At least, unless Joe had the opportunity to get someone who isn't likely to be available (or available without overpaying) later...like Tarasenko may have been in the earlier stages of last season; when there were some rumors coming out of STL that they were listening to offers. I'm just trying to identify the areas that are most likely to require bolstering to allow us to contend this season.

...and for me, those are (in descending order of present concern): a top 6 winger to click with Kadri or free Mikko up to turn Kadri into a 35 goal guy; a reliable middle pairing vet who could stabilize things for our kids when EJ breaks; and a reliable starter if Gru turns back into the pumpkin he was before settling in last season.

Last edited:

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
No trade unless it's Drouin. Not sure if he's on the block anymore, he's looked good in the games I watched.
Landeskog-MacKinnon-Drouin
Donskoi-Kadri-Rantanen

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
The team will sign Landeskog no matter what. The guy, like EJ, has been here through all of it and deserves the loyalty.

As far as Jost I agree with Hench in places he's mentioned it. They need him to play in one spot and let him grow there. Or move him to get some support for Kadri.

The difference with Bura and Jost to me is their ability with the puck itself. I've seen Bura atleast wire off some good shots to create chances. Jost whiffs and constantly loses the puck.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I'm not sure that anyone is saying Joe needs to make a trade ASAP, we're just trying to look ahead & predict what this team will need by the postseason to legitimately contend...and that's not just based on 2 games.

It's certainly possible that Jost breaks out once he & Kadri click and Bura finally "puts it all together" -- and if either of those happen I will be celebrating right there with CB Joe, Foppa2118, Sea Eagles, etc. -- but there's good reason to doubt those things happening. And if they don't we'd be left with only plus 3rd liners and the hope that Newhook will be ready to pull a Cale for us this time around, as our only internal solutions for the current hole we have on Kadri's wing.

I'm certainly not saying we need to make something happen ASAP. At least, unless Joe had the opportunity to get someone who isn't likely to be available (or available without overpaying) later...like Tarasenko may have been in the earlier stages of last season; when there were some rumors coming out of STL that they were listening to offers. I'm just trying to identify the areas that are most likely to require bolstering to allow us to contend this season.

...and for me, those are (in descending order of present concern): a top 6 winger to click with Kadri or free Mikko up to turn Kadri into a 35 goal guy; a reliable middle pairing vet who could stabilize things for our kids when EJ breaks; and a reliable starter if Gru turns back into the pumpkin he was before settling in last season.

My biggest problem with the Bura trade is that it was a waste of a solid asset that could have been a nice sweetener or two (not main piece) to complete a trade for an known solution. The Avs went the cheaper/riskier route to add a depth wing. B Prospect +1st +2nd should be able to get a pretty decent long-term solution. Cut that 2nd out and you're purely in rental territory or having to include an A prospect.

We all want Jost to breakout and be 29 year old Parise 2.0... it is just doesn't look that that is going to happen, and the Avs need to be ready to make a move if it is abundantly clear midseason.

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
No matter what they do the team will need to find an extra winger at some point to support the top 6.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Pittsburgh down two centers. Let’s offer Jost for some futures and flip them for a top 6 winger.

Jost + Barberio for JJ (25% retained) + 1st + DeSmith.

Then we trade our own first for help while watching the lottery game with the Pens pick.

Reactions: forsbergavs32

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
Tampa has some good, young guys either on the roster or waiting for their chance, right? Would the cost for one of Cirelli, Gourde, Joseph, Barre-Boulet, Stephens be palatable?

Reactions: Brett44

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
Pittsburgh down two centers. Let’s offer Jost for some futures and flip them for a top 6 winger.
Who would they even have to send off? I'm sure they're not looking to export any wingers when they already lost Kessel this offseason.

What team has to many wingers?

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012

Jost + Barberio for JJ (25% retained) + 1st + DeSmith.

Then we trade our own first for help while watching the lottery game with the Pens pick.

Over half of their forward lineup are basically natural centers... but if we could pry out McCann...

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
There is absolutely nothing to Landeskog's game that suggests that he will age poorly. He is a highly cerebral, highly skilled guy who went away from being overly physical.

Pure age and not being the fleetest of foot will naturally make his early to mid 30s drop off. He's going to be fine for the next ~4-5 years though.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
There is absolutely nothing to Landeskog's game that suggests that he will age poorly. He is a highly cerebral, highly skilled guy who went away from being overly physical.

I think skating will be the main thing. This isn't just Landeskog specific either, most players are going to age poorly once they enter their mid-30's. He'll be a couple months away from 29 when his new contract kicks in so if you're going 6-8 years, there's a very good chance that's ending poorly. Too soon for me to be worrying about that though.

This is a situation that calls for some cap circumvention. There are two years between the expiration of Landeskog and MacKinnon's contracts. Give Landeskog a massive two-year deal while MacKinnon is still the most underpaid player in the league and then give him the remaining years at a lower cap hit after that. Easy.

Reactions: Foppa2118

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Pure age and not being the fleetest of foot will naturally make his early to mid 30s drop off. He's going to be fine for the next ~4-5 years though.
He'll still be a great guy around the net and will do plenty defensively. I mean majority of his offense is coming from board work and work around the net. This isn't a moron like Dustin Brown we are talking about.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
He'll still be a great guy around the net and will do plenty defensively. I mean majority of his offense is coming from board work and work around the net. This is a moron like Dustin Brown we are talking about.

Yeah that is fair. I think he'll trend down slowly from 1st to 3rd liner over the next 8-9 years. We probably have ~3-4 more seasons at a top line level, then another ~2-3 at a 2nd line level, then rounding out as a 3rd line sort of guy. Probably a high end 3rd liner, but I don't expect him to be top 6 past 33-34.

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
He'll still be a great guy around the net and will do plenty defensively. I mean majority of his offense is coming from board work and work around the net. This isn't a moron like Dustin Brown we are talking about.

pffft. DB can count to potato, can you?

1i97o7.jpg

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Which brings us 2-3 years into his next contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad