2019-2020 Tank Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
If we won 1st OA I’d be trading down for Byfield. We don’t need any more wingers.

Agree with the sentiment but you would need to trade with whoever was 2nd. No other spot would do. How much would they pay to move up one spot? It would need to be a team that really preferred Lafreniere over Byfield. Odds are pretty good that the team drafting 2nd would feel the same way you do and prefer the C over the winger. And the 2 are likely to be close enough that Byfield would go first for most teams.

I think that if we won the lottery we would just take Byfield. Why risk anything else?

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Laine is LW/RW. Unless they both play both sides at a time, I don't think it's a problem :)

But the Jets needs no stinking winger, unless he is the best overall. D or C, but not W. TOP-6 wingers are the best asset Jets have. And then there is Roslovic waiting for the opportunity, though he should probably play C exclusively.

If Jets somehow got Lafreniere, they should trade Connor for a D.

Regardless of who they trade, the target should still be a C. If Jets somehow got 1OA just draft Byfield. If Jets got 2OA and Byfield went 1st, then trade Lafreniere for a C and a D - both really good.

Reactions: Halberdier

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Laine-Scheifele-Ehlers
Connor-Byfield-Wheeler
Vesalainen-Copp-Roslovic
Gustafsson-Lowry-Little
Appleton

Morrissey-Pietreangelo
Heinola-Niku
Samberg-Pionk

... just day-dreaming over here...

:laugh: :D

Reactions: SM

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
You always pick the best player possible. That would be Lafreniere.

That may not be the case by the end of the season. Even right now they are too close to call for certain. Being that close, I would take the C 11 times out of 10. It would be different if the gap was wider than it is, which also could happen by draft day.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Dunno, man. I think our d-corps looked adequate at worst if one was operating under the assumption that Byfuglien was going to play.
JoMo - Buff
Kuli - Pionk
Heinola - Poolman
Niku (or switch with Poolman)

In no way amazing, but not actually terrible.

And you left out Beaulieu. I doubt the pre-TC expectation was for Heinola to be there but this might have been penciled in:
Morrissey - Pionk
Kulikov - Buff
Beaulieu - Niku
Poolman

Not bad at all. But beside having to rebuild our D corps after losing Trouba, Myers, Chiarot we have had to deal with injuries to Beaulieu and Niku before even getting out of TC plus Buff's LOA. You expect to have some D corps injuries but losing so many so soon and all at the same time is pretty bad luck.

That means in total losing 3 of last year's top 5 who have left the team, plus losing 3 of the top 6 of the planned replacement D corps. That is an entire top 6 gone and a pretty darn good one too:
Niku- Trouba
Chiarot - Buff
Beaulieu - Myers
Except for 1LD, that is not a bad top 6.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Better but still poor. Any universe where Kulikov is in the top four is not a playoff-bound universe. Any universe where Pionk is a top two is not a playoff-bound universe.

Certainly it would have those flaws, but with the strength of our forwards I think it would be a legit PO team - provided there were not too many injuries to Dmen.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Leafs fans aren’t nearly as negative, despite having the same defensive issues.

Their D issues are not as bad as ours. Not quite anyway.
Wait, just looked at their D roster. Maybe they are worse! :eek2:
If we had Buff, they would be worse, no maybe. :laugh:

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Agree with the sentiment but you would need to trade with whoever was 2nd. No other spot would do. How much would they pay to move up one spot? It would need to be a team that really preferred Lafreniere over Byfield. Odds are pretty good that the team drafting 2nd would feel the same way you do and prefer the C over the winger. And the 2 are likely to be close enough that Byfield would go first for most teams.

I think that if we won the lottery we would just take Byfield. Why risk anything else?

Lafreniere is going first overall no matter which team has it. This kind of overthinking leads to regret.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Lafreniere is going first overall no matter which team has it. This kind of overthinking leads to regret.

As things stand right now? If we had 1st OA and did not take Byfield, I'd be getting out my torch and pitchfork.

That could change. It is early in their draft year for all of the players. Lafreniere could pull away, Byfield could take over as consensus #1, some other player could exceed both of them. But right now, it would be Byfield for me with no hesitation.

Reactions: jgimp

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
As things stand right now? If we had 1st OA and did not take Byfield, I'd be getting out my torch and pitchfork.

That could change. It is early in their draft year for all of the players. Lafreniere could pull away, Byfield could take over as consensus #1, some other player could exceed both of them. But right now, it would be Byfield for me with no hesitation.

Lafreniere is clear and away the number one and he has been for a few years. You take him unless things change.

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
Damn straight. What's the point of having a tank thread if we're afraid to... well, I'll let Andy take it from here. :nod:

You're right. Tanking can be good. Just ask the Pens (Crosby and Malkin draft picks) and the 'Hawks (Toews and Kane draft picks). I'm with ya...

3447f7b4f3108871ae86d1e0392b8a0a.gif

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
I'm down to take a step back this year and re-tool. We look like a bubble team and we certainly could be able to make the playoffs. But much like the Leafs, we don't have the defense to go anywhere. I'd rather embrace the tank and grab a Laf or a Byfield, or on one of the top D.

I don't think that we look like a playoff bubble team so far. Far from it. It's early but if you look at the overall quality of the teams we have played and our record, we are in for a rough ride. The next 1/2 dozen games will be interesting as we will have to see if we can handle a much tougher Western Division style of opponent and overall better teams than what we have seen so far.

Last edited:

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Embracing the tank gives you an easy out when non-Jets fans that you know try to needle you about the latest crappy game. "That's ok, I'm looking forward to that high draft pick" is a great defuser and deflection tool. I like it!

Reactions: GeorgeJETson

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Lafreniere is clear and away the number one and he has been for a few years. You take him unless things change.

He may have been for a couple of years. But it happens all the time that the early consensus 1 OA falls before the draft. In this case Byfield has come on strong and they are now very close. Too close to take a W over a C, IMO. A 6'4, 215 lb C with high skill. No way I pass on that for another winger. Unless something changes over the next 6 mos, that is.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
He may have been for a couple of years. But it happens all the time that the early consensus 1 OA falls before the draft. In this case Byfield has come on strong and they are now very close. Too close to take a W over a C, IMO. A 6'4, 215 lb C with high skill. No way I pass on that for another winger. Unless something changes over the next 6 mos, that is.

Usually this happens because hockey pundits try and sell the draft. If there’s no generational player to build it around, they build it on a “neck and neck race” for #1OA, even if it’s really not that close.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Usually this happens because hockey pundits try and sell the draft. If there’s no generational player to build it around, they build it on a “neck and neck race” for #1OA, even if it’s really not that close.

Nope. That's not what I'm talking about. I pay very little attention to those pundits. I give you Liljegren and Chychrun as recent examples of consensus #1 picks who fell to mid 1st rd. It happens often.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad