2019-2020 Tank Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
There were a lot more teams than Boston in the last decade were in the height of a contending window dropped down for a season or 2 and sprang back up. Seems to be lost on many is the so called contention window slammed shut once we start having to pay all our young stars their "big boy' contracts following their ELC's. It is easy to horde strong depth when you paying half your top 6 on ELCs and your top pairing on ELCs or cheap bridge deals. But like other teams we will need to step back and reload with a few more entry level deals for difference makers through the draft to support our young core which is mostly locked up long term.

Yeah I mean Boston shipped out guys. Chicago had to reload a lot between Cups and lost a tonne of talent. It's all a part of being and continuing to be a contender.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Wheeler is still a legitimate star with lots in the tank. And hes a horse! Dude is never injured.

Aaaand...

75fb68f05171142183cfe0dbc2785be0.gif

:scared:

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
Practice good karma like we did prior to the Laine lottery with a 5 game win streak at the end of the season.

Don't intentionally lose. Play hard, lose organically and hope the gods smile on us on lottery day.

Problem with all that is the gods don’t like us that much. We’re not the Penguins. They threw us a bone to draft Laine and look where we are now, begging the gods yet again.

Best we can hope for is that some teams above us don’t win the lotteries and push us further back.

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
Had the Jets not won last night their pick would be #9, one point up on the Sabres for pick #8. As of right now they’d be picking 12th.

Still a long way to go, just saying. Saving grace is most teams that can realistically catch us have games in hand.

Reactions: AlaskaJet

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I'd probably prefer to move Laine. Though Connor might have more value right now. Ehler and Connor are locked up long term. Laine isn't. Tough to say.

I would move Laine for the right return. That is a lot more than either Ehlers or Connor. Laine is our only top 6 RW after Wheeler who won't last forever. It might be hard to get full value for him right now. I wouldn't trade him for less than full value.

IMO, Ehlers's actual value is quite a bit more than Connor's but Connor's market value is higher. He is also more expensive. So he is easily the one I would move. But in the end, it would depend on who the other team wants and what they are willing to pay.

But this is all dependent on winning the lottery so pretty unlikely.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
The more I read up on the potential players in the upcoming draft the bigger the gap IMO between Lafreniere and Byfield. It seems to me Lafreniere is as close a consensus #1 as you will find short of a McDavid. I've even seen a couple of opinion pieces that have speculated that Lafreniere might be given time to develop as a center in the NHL since he plays so well up the middle of the ice, and that Byfield might end up on the wing in the NHL. Again IMO if we were so lucky to win the draft lottery you take BPA and don't look back.

Yeah, that is pretty much everybody's opinion. That Laf is BPA I mean. But, as I've said before, I think everyone is ignoring that very large age difference. Looking at the 2 of them side by side right now, there is no question at all. Laf is just better. But he is also a year older. That year is huge at this age and stage.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
We got lucky by getting the gift draft pick to get Laine.
Lightning won't strike twice.

We are not the Coilers.

Doesn't change the fact that we were discussing that hypothetical.

If
we got lucky and won the lottery we would have a top 6 LW to spare. Trading one for a top 6 C would be the way to go.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I would move Laine for the right return. That is a lot more than either Ehlers or Connor. Laine is our only top 6 RW after Wheeler who won't last forever. It might be hard to get full value for him right now. I wouldn't trade him for less than full value.

IMO, Ehlers's actual value is quite a bit more than Connor's but Connor's market value is higher. He is also more expensive. So he is easily the one I would move. But in the end, it would depend on who the other team wants and what they are willing to pay.

But this is all dependent on winning the lottery so pretty unlikely.

Yeah that was prefaced on us winning the lottery and getting Lafreniere. Laine would become very expendable at the time.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Yeah, that is pretty much everybody's opinion. That Laf is BPA I mean. But, as I've said before, I think everyone is ignoring that very large age difference. Looking at the 2 of them side by side right now, there is no question at all. Laf is just better. But he is also a year older. That year is huge at this age and stage.

If you get lucky enough to pick 1st overall, you can't gamble that Byfield may be a little better down the road because he was younger than Lafreniere. You pick BPA on the date of the draft.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Yeah that was prefaced on us winning the lottery and getting Lafreniere. Laine would become very expendable at the time.

Laine still isn't the one - for the reasons I stated.

Just start with where the surplus would be. We are well set at LW with KC and Ehlers. Laf is a LW. Of course one of them, likely Ehlers, can move over. But the obvious thing is to trade a LW.

Until Laine starts scoring goals in bunches again, we are not likely getting full value for him. Why would we trade the one we would have the hardest time getting full value for? The only way I trade Laine is if we are getting 2 major pieces back in exchange, plus whatever lesser add ons that come with.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
If you get lucky enough to pick 1st overall, you can't gamble that Byfield may be a little better down the road because he was younger than Lafreniere. You pick BPA on the date of the draft.

That is a valid point. Just because they are equal at the same age doesn't mean that Byfield will benefit as much from that next year as Laf has. While the one probably will, the other already has.

I have been calling them equal and going with Byfield because of position. However it has been pointed out to me that we could take Laf and trade a LW for a C, or very good C prospect. That is probably the smarter way to play it.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Laine still isn't the one - for the reasons I stated.

Just start with where the surplus would be. We are well set at LW with KC and Ehlers. Laf is a LW. Of course one of them, likely Ehlers, can move over. But the obvious thing is to trade a LW.

Until Laine starts scoring goals in bunches again, we are not likely getting full value for him. Why would we trade the one we would have the hardest time getting full value for? The only way I trade Laine is if we are getting 2 major pieces back in exchange, plus whatever lesser add ons that come with.

Well Connor is the only pure LW on the team. Laine and Ehlers can play either wing. Wheeler is a pure RW who can play C in a pinch. Ehlers seems to be better on LW and Laine seems to be better on RW. So I see it as a pretty even split. Little can also play RW/C, Copp can play LW/C, Lowry can play LW/C, Perreault can play either wing. Roslovic seems to be more comfortable at RW. We aren't really heavy on either side.

I'd trade Laine for a solid Top 4 D. Player for player. We might have had a chance at hat last summer. He's not scoring goals as much but his all around game has made strides. He's on pace for his best assist season all year while Scheif and Connor are on pace for their best goalscoring seasons yet. I guarantee some GM out there is still in love with Laine Just have to find a rebuilder that has a mid 20's or older defencemen that they are looking to move.

Anaheim with Lindholm comes to mind, but he is a LHD. Preferably we go after a RHD.

Rebuilding teams look to be Anaheim, Detroit, Ottawa, NYR, LA. I can't really see anyone in that group worth trading Laine for outside of Lindholm.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
That is a valid point. Just because they are equal at the same age doesn't mean that Byfield will benefit as much from that next year as Laf has. While the one probably will, the other already has.

I have been calling them equal and going with Byfield because of position. However it has been pointed out to me that we could take Laf and trade a LW for a C, or very good C prospect. That is probably the smarter way to play it.

LAf probably comes into the NHL as a 50-60 point winger. There is a small chance he can play C as well. He prefers wing but his game is built for Center and maybe we can convince him to try it out if we got him.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
LAf probably comes into the NHL as a 50-60 point winger. There is a small chance he can play C as well. He prefers wing but his game is built for Center and maybe we can convince him to try it out if we got him.

With a player coming right into the NHL out of the draft, I'd be reluctant to have him switching positions right away. Maybe a year or two later.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
With a player coming right into the NHL out of the draft, I'd be reluctant to have him switching positions right away. Maybe a year or two later.

I agree. He'd start as a LW and then if he looks good there you think about moving him to C. Kid would be awesome to have as he is the type of player we could run PP2 through likely right away. Insane vision.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad