2019-2020 Tank Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
Name five better drafting teams than the Jets. Whose roster is largely made up of their draft picks and what is the quality of those players relative to where they are selected?

Honestly, this is a losing argument for you if you’re trying to suggest that the Jets are not a good draft and develop franchise...

...but I welcome your attempt. Here’s some extra rope!

I am not saying they are a bad drafting team. Just not amazing IMO

Tampa Boston toronto nashville and Boston could arguably all be better drafting teams.

Sure we drafted the best player available and have a stocked forward group. But this AHL defense we are playing with this year should of been seen and planned for years ago.

I guess it depends on how you interpret drafting success. For me personally having a couple defenseman ready to fill the void this year would make our drafting amazing.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
That's the jets choice by making the least trades in the NHL since their return. It isnt necessarily something to be proud of
Well, you are half right--the Jets made a deliberate choice to be a draft and develop team.
In a capped environment that is the right choice, unless financial pressure or a fickle fan base make it impossible to defer gratification.

If you waiting to experience a Datsyukian fantasy in order to be "proud of" their drafting, be prepared to wait a very long time.

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
Well, you are half right--the Jets made a deliberate choice to be a draft and develop team.
In a capped environment that is the right choice, unless financial pressure or a fickle fan base make it impossible to defer gratification.

If you waiting to experience a Datsyukian fantasy in order to be "proud of" their drafting, be prepared to wait a very long time.

That's not exactly what I'm saying. I'm just saying our drafting isnt necessarily out of the ordinary. Most teams draft well in the first round

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
I can’t imagine anyone believing this...

yeh when start actually looking around, most teams screw up. The fact that we don’t f*** up our first round picks is an achievement in itself. The only one really arguable is the Stanley pick and that was the same draft as Laine so still a success in the grand scheme.

Reactions: Jets 31

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
That's not exactly what I'm saying. I'm just saying our drafting isnt necessarily out of the ordinary. Most teams draft well in the first round
My last comment on the matter...but may I suggest you check the facts if you are going to reply.
Drafting is difficult beyond the top picks in Round 1--there is plenty of data to back that up.

Looking back at 2015 as an illustrative example:
Beyond the top 10 picks in Round 1, only half of the remaining 20 have played >100 NHL games. But 2 of those 20 were Jets picks--Connor and Roslovic.
So less than half of the non-Jets picks from that group have played >100 games more than 4 years after the draft. This is what is "ordinary". The Jets have been anything but ordinary in their drafting.

Last edited:

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
I am not saying they are a bad drafting team. Just not amazing IMO

Tampa Boston toronto nashville and Boston could arguably all be better drafting teams.

Sure we drafted the best player available and have a stocked forward group. But this AHL defense we are playing with this year should of been seen and planned for years ago.

I guess it depends on how you interpret drafting success. For me personally having a couple defenseman ready to fill the void this year would make our drafting amazing.

Drafting to fill in perceived openings 3 or 4 years down the road is a bit of a ridiculous ask. Always best to stick with the BPA approach since predicting team make-up years into the future is unreliable.

The transition would have been much smoother if Buff didn’t go on an extended fishing trip.

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
Drafting to fill in perceived openings 3 or 4 years down the road is a bit of a ridiculous ask. Always best to stick with the BPA approach since predicting team make-up years into the future is unreliable.

The transition would have been much smoother if Buff didn’t go on an extended fishing trip.

Yes it would have great point

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg

I guess we will disagree. I think drafting 3 or 4 years ahead is not ridiculous at all. Especially when you rarely make trades and cant sign free agents for the most part.

Even 2 years back Chevy would know the cap situation and that he couldn't afford Myers. He knew trouba wasn't staying as well.

The defense this year was very avoidable

Reactions: angrymnky

Pigseye

Oct 14, 2019
Time to cut bait with Buff, Kulikov & Perreault, tying up over $16M in salary, those 3 need to go before you can start acquiring the right players to fix this mess.

Reactions: rkp

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
--Wpg Jet Tank-- ☻/︻╦╤─
▂▄▅ -2019/2020-/▌ ██▅▃▂
I███████████████████]
◥⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙◤

Busting for Byfield™

If things get bad enough this year, I might snip that graphic for my avatar. :thumbu:

AWSAA

Sep 8, 2003
Only the Oilers & Sabres drafted higher than the Jets on average between 2011-16.

Last edited:

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
I guess we will disagree. I think drafting 3 or 4 years ahead is not ridiculous at all. Especially when you rarely make trades and cant sign free agents for the most part.

Even 2 years back Chevy would know the cap situation and that he couldn't afford Myers. He knew trouba wasn't staying as well.

The defense this year was very avoidable

I think it was unexpected that the salary cap would only have a negligible increase and that RFA contracts would skyrocket in the past year.

This has put us into a tough situation, especially with the Buff holiday, but on the bright side, we largely have our young guns secured long-term, the cap will be rising, and vet contracts (Kulikov, and Perreault in two years) will expire.

Not a huge deal to step back a bit for a year (though if Buff comes back, we’ll be a bubble team). We have young D in our pipeline (Samburg, Ville, Niku etc...) plus salary cap (Hamonic?).

I think our current D situation was somewhat hard to plan for based on several unexpected and uncontrollable events.

rkp

Mar 31, 2011
If it wasn't for PoMo as coach, we may have more younger players on the team this year such as Niku.

Reactions: Mbraunm

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
We havent been a draft and develop team for the last couple of years. We should get back to that since our window is firmly closed.

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
If it wasn't for PoMo as coach, we may have more younger players on the team this year such as Niku.

You mean like Gustaffson and Heinola? Jets haven’t played multiple teenagers in several year but Maurice is doing that right now.

Kinda stupid for anyone to say Maurice doesn’t play young players. Keep on drinking the Haterade and make more easily countered hot takes.

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015

The defence is insanely young. Do you want Niku to bump the 18 yr old? Or maybe the 24 yr old they picked up on waivers...??

I swear, the Jets could play 6 eighteen yr olds just drafted and people would complain that Pomo loves vets..

tntkid

Fire Maurice & Chevy
Nov 27, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Did you get lost on the way to the positivity thread? :huh:

I forgot this was the negativity Jets forum.

f***s the Jets.
All hope is lost.
Burn it down and collect the insurance.
This better???
lol :sarcasm:

giphy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad