2019 - 2020 St. Louis Blues - Defending the Cup - Part 2: The Depth from Within

Status
Not open for further replies.

Itsnotatrap

Oct 6, 2013
I wasn't really advocating a specific game, more just shorten the rotation. Play Allen every 4th game on avergae, instead of every 5th. You can pick and choose which games make the most sense for Allen. Just get Binnington more rest.

Yeah, I agree with you. Even after the amazing run last year, Binnington is easily playing at or near what the most optimistic expectations of him were. The Blues overall have straight up not been playing great. Not awful, but not great either, and yet they lead the West. That’s what goaltending does for you. Blues definitely need to make sure they don’t wear him out/he is there when it really matters, and work Allen in for about 25 games, with a slant towards Eastern teams and, apparently, road games.

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I'm a little worried about Binnington's workload. He has been great, but he has played a ton of hockey over the last calendar year. He has never played more than 62 games in a season including playoffs before last year, and only came close the once. With the AHL, NHL and playoffs, he played 74 last year. He is on pace for 65 this year in the regular season alone. That is a huge workload for a well rested goalie, much less one coming off the shortened season. Also Blues are giving up way more shots than usual, so they are tiring games as well lately.

I know nobody wants to see Allen play, but we need someone to take games.
The Blues’ schedule has been pretty well spaced, so he’s getting enough days between. We’ll probably see more Allen naturally during stretches where it gets more condensed. Hopefully Allen’s play won’t make that a problem.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
I wasn't really advocating a specific game, more just shorten the rotation. Play Allen every 4th game on avergae, instead of every 5th. You can pick and choose which games make the most sense for Allen. Just get Binnington more rest.
I would say we should be prioritizing Allen on the road when we do decide to play him. But I completely agree on the need to get Allen some more games and try not to burn Binnington out.

Would help if we'd start playing some better defense though.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
Well, I had tried to copy and paste a fairly long response from the Brouwer thread but it somehow got deleted. I got a bit OT in that thread with comments about Sanford, so I figured this thread would be more appropriate. There were some good responses in that thread, so not sure how much more there is to say, but basically I was wondering why there is so much wrath focused on Sanford when his production isn't that far off from other players that fans don't criticize very often.

Celtic and others made some very good points in that thread, but he did mention Blais in his last post. Fans seemed to be pleased with Blais this year despite the fact that him and Sanford both have 8 points in roughly the same # of games (Blais one more, to be exact). Is it because Blais had such a hot start while Sanford started the season ice cold? Yes, Blais is more physical and was creating havoc even when not scoring, but he only had 3 points in his last 15 games before his injury (after getting 5 points in his first 5 games). So maybe he wasn't clicking on that 2nd line as much as it seemed. Yet most comments regarding Blais were positive despite his drop off and Sanford is public enemy #1 among Blues fans.

Not that I'm looking to criticize guys, but I feel that Sanford gets more than his fair share of blame when we have other guys struggling just as much: Blais before his injury, Bozak (on pace for just 27 points, has been snakebit lately but we need more production considering his ice time and usage), Barbashev (just 7 points and has made some uncharacteristic sloppy plays) and Faulk (no context needed).

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
Well, I had tried to copy and paste a fairly long response from the Brouwer thread but it somehow got deleted. I got a bit OT in that thread with comments about Sanford, so I figured this thread would be more appropriate. There were some good responses in that thread, so not sure how much more there is to say, but basically I was wondering why there is so much wrath focused on Sanford when his production isn't that far off from other players that fans don't criticize very often.

Celtic and others made some very good points in that thread, but he did mention Blais in his last post. Fans seemed to be pleased with Blais this year despite the fact that him and Sanford both have 8 points in roughly the same # of games (Blais one more, to be exact). Is it because Blais had such a hot start while Sanford started the season ice cold? Yes, Blais is more physical and was creating havoc even when not scoring, but he only had 3 points in his last 15 games before his injury (after getting 5 points in his first 5 games). So maybe he wasn't clicking on that 2nd line as much as it seemed. Yet most comments regarding Blais were positive despite his drop off and Sanford is public enemy #1 among Blues fans.

Not that I'm looking to criticize guys, but I feel that Sanford gets more than his fair share of blame when we have other guys struggling just as much: Blais before his injury, Bozak (on pace for just 27 points, has been snakebit lately but we need more production considering his ice time and usage), Barbashev (just 7 points and has made some uncharacteristic sloppy plays) and Faulk (no context needed).

I think the biggest reason for the lax criticism of Blais was that he was productive with ROR and Perron. Then for whatever reason, he was no longer on that line. He had a stint with Schenn and went on the struggling Bozak line where everyone’s points dry up. But, he was still generating chances and was engaged in the play. It’s his usage that seems to be the main issue. Well, that and the play of our third line.

I think it is also unfair to say they have the same number of points. We have to look at the time of the criticism of Sanford and when it ceased. At the time, Sanford had not gone on this tear. Subtract out that streak and the comparison is 3pts vs 8 pts.

Conversely, Sanford looked like he was playing like he didn’t care. His line was producing despite his contributions or lack thereof.

Now Sanford has found a home and found his drive. I am happy for him and us. Hopefully he can continue this trend.

The third line has been a point of criticism. I suspect there wasn’t one person singled out because it was the whole line. It has been poor offensively. Seemingly that has changed. Let’s hope it has.

Barbashev has been on the forth line providing energy and defense. That’s the general accepted value of a forth line. Adding marginal offense is also part of the deal. The 4th line has done that better than the average 4th. Can Barbashev be better offensively? Certainly, but his overall contributions seem ok.

Faulk has been a criticism magnet. Most of that is probably deserved. Some of it might not be. He hasn’t been very good, but it’s a new team. The new team bit can only last for so long though.

Last edited:

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
4 games for Borts. Not complaining but seems like light toll for knocking rival’s star out 4-6 weeks. I know they don’t punish on severity of injury but if their #6D did that to Schwartz I’d be pi$$ed and 4 games wouldn’t seem enough.

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
4 games for Borts. Not complaining but seems like light toll for knocking rival’s star out 4-6 weeks. I know they don’t punish on severity of injury but if their #6D did that to Schwartz I’d be pi$$ed and 4 games wouldn’t seem enough.
I agree. It was a dumb play, and he deserves the suspension. Really sucks that Arvidsson was injured so significantly. I’m still hoping they overestimated the duration in an effort to impress the DPS and he’ll make it back sooner. If a player did that to one of the Blues I’d be angry. There’s no suspension that makes it OK.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Blues called up Pouilliot to replace Borts and Walker bc Brouwer apparently pissed off someone at INS and hasn’t been able to get visa.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I agree. It was a dumb play, and he deserves the suspension. Really sucks that Arvidsson was injured so significantly. I’m still hoping they overestimated the duration in an effort to impress the DPS and he’ll make it back sooner. If a player did that to one of the Blues I’d be angry. There’s no suspension that makes it OK.
I dont...I want Nashville to suffer. I have no other way to say this...at least in a way that doesn't make me sound so insensitive. I dont actually want Arvidsson to be hurt.....but I want the entity that is Nashville to suffer. :dunno:

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
I think it’s best to leave things like whether a player is a star or not out of the discussion. The NHL should protect all players equally.

As for would I be pissed? Absolutely. I am frustrated it happened to an opposing player. I would be pissed if it was our guy.

Reactions: Stupendous Yappi

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Hopefully they put Walker in the lineup instead of DLR. I'd like to see what he's got.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I'm a little worried about Binnington's workload. He has been great, but he has played a ton of hockey over the last calendar year. He has never played more than 62 games in a season including playoffs before last year, and only came close the once. With the AHL, NHL and playoffs, he played 74 last year. He is on pace for 65 this year in the regular season alone. That is a huge workload for a well rested goalie, much less one coming off the shortened season. Also Blues are giving up way more shots than usual, so they are tiring games as well lately.

I know nobody wants to see Allen play, but we need someone to take games.
I agree with the concern, but only if the workload continues as the schedule condenses. We have only had 3 back-to-backs so far this year, with none of them coming in the month of October. Additionally, we have had 10 different 2 day breaks and zero 3+ days breaks. We haven't played 4 games in a calendar week yet and we have only played 5 games so far where it is the 4th game in a 7 day stretch. Simply put, the schedule has been pretty ideal for 'letting your starter find a groove and stay there.' The schedule bunches up a bit this week and gets really crammed at the end of February (11 in 19 days!). I expect us to see more of Allen in the 2nd half of the season.

If Binny hits the workload he is on pace for, I will be concerned. However, I think the schedule bunching up will knock a few starts from his current pace. At the start of the year, I wanted to see a 50-55 game pace. But watching him handle the workload, I'm comfortable bumping that total up a few starts so long as we don't see signs of fatigue.

Last edited:

Renard

Nov 14, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Thomas, Kostin and Sanford are going to be key players on this quest to repeat. Wouldn’t be surprised if we see Kyrou late January or February

Thomas is up to the challenge. Kostin is an excellent long-term prospect, but isn't ready yet.

Sanford remains a mystery. He isn't a prospect anymore. He has played in 119 NHL games. Can he establish himself as an integral part of the team? It seems unlikely, but it would be great if he came through.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
It will always be amazing to me how effective Jaden Schwartz is in front of the net on a pp and holding on to the puck during Es. We have so many better options to be a net front screen or presence. Yet he always ends yo there

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
It will always be amazing to me how effective Jaden Schwartz is in front of the net on a pp and holding on to the puck during Es. We have so many better options to be a net front screen or presence. Yet he always ends yo there
Maybe Savard can't decide what else Schwartz could do? Put smallest guy front of net. :laugh:

To me Schwartz is doing almost every time currently that blind pass to the crease no matter what is situation. That worrisome me why? Now I'm talking 5on5. Like compare to Thomas, he turns, cycle and look that passing lane and where to pass. Schwartz just throws pass blindly and hopes. I count at least this game 3-4 blind pass by Schwartz which ofc everyone were turned and Tampa get easy transition to neutral zone, thank God we have 3rd man low who can cover those brainfart passes.

Last edited:

WATTAGE4451

Jan 4, 2018
If sunny is out, what do you think lines look like?

For next game probably
Schwartz-Thomas-Schenn
Sanford-oreilly-perron
Walker?-bozak-barbashev
Maceachern-de la rose- brouwer

Or do maybe they try brouwer on 2rd line and walker on 4th? Id prefer to try walker on 3rd to give him a chance with somewhat skilled players rather than de la rose and macmac(nothing against mac as i like his physical game)

Our once great 4th line is no longer the force it used to be. The injuries are starting to really hurt. Maybe kyrou gets a chance soon but for now i hope walker can impress

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
If sunny is out, what do you think lines look like?

For next game probably
Schwartz-Thomas-Schenn
Sanford-oreilly-perron
Walker?-bozak-barbashev
Maceachern-de la rose- brouwer

Or do maybe they try brouwer on 2rd line and walker on 4th? Id prefer to try walker on 3rd to give him a chance with somewhat skilled players rather than de la rose and macmac(nothing against mac as i like his physical game)

Our once great 4th line is no longer the force it used to be. The injuries are starting to really hurt. Maybe kyrou gets a chance soon but for now i hope walker can impress
Walker 173cm tall. Is very easy to man handle when he played pre-season games at NHL. If Chief wants anything out of him he have to play 3rd line and best scenario 2nd line with ROR - Perron duo. He has some offensive tools so it should be quite automatic play with offensive minded players than juice heads like De La Rose or Brouwer.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
I missed the game last night. Watching the replay now. What happened to Sunny and does it sound serious?

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
I missed the game last night. Watching the replay now. What happened to Sunny and does it sound serious?

He jumped to avoid a hit and it looked like he came down awkwardly on his right leg. He couldn't put weight on it and didn't return to the game. No announcement yet on his status.

Reactions: Mike Liut

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Schwartz is an aggravating player. It feels like he peaked a few years ago and is slowly getting worse. He looked like a 30G 65pt guy who you could depend on 20m a night. Now it looks like he's struggling to stay on his feet. He has no creativity or desire to drive the net anymore. He skates into the zone and pulls up....that's his move.

We really need him with Vladi out.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Berube says Sundqvist will be out “a while.” But additional testing/examination needed back in St. Louis to get a better idea on full nature of injury. (Sundqvist is on crutches and has right foot in walking boot.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad