2019 - 2020 St. Louis Blues - Defending the Cup - Part 2: The Depth from Within

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Just a couple of games ago he was in the .880s though. A couple of good games brought it up quickly, but a couple of bad ones can bring it right back because he’s only played a handful of games. I’d love to see Jake play like he has the past two games all season, but we’ve all seen this guy for hundreds of games and know what he truly is. The rest of the league does too. I just hope it won’t cost too much of a sweetener to move him. That would be a win.
I think last year was a big enough sample size. He played at a stupid level down the stretch when put in the backup position. He had a rough start, not out of the ordinary for anyone.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I think last year was a big enough sample size. He played at a stupid level down the stretch when put in the backup position. He had a rough start, not out of the ordinary for anyone.
He reminds me of Brent Johnson. Teases you with talent but not mentally strong enough to be the man. Once you accept he is a backup he can be good one. Unfortunately he is being paid like a starter.

Reactions: Dbrownss

Renard

Nov 14, 2011
St. Louis, MO
That was a great team win last night in Dallas. Before the game, I thought our chances were slim.

But our substitutes looked like NHL players to me. And Barbashev played an excellent overall game - hits, shots, points, takeaways. He had a disappointing sophomore season, but has come on strong since then.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
He reminds me of Brent Johnson. Teases you with talent but not mentally strong enough to be the man. Once you accept he is a backup he can be good one. Unfortunately he is being paid like a starter.
Barely. He's the 22nd highest paid goalie in a league where only 17 guys started 50+ games last year. Allen was 22nd in starts last season and is realistically paid more like a 1a in a tandem than he is to being paid like a starter.

He's absolutely overpaid, but it isn't by a massive amount. If he finishes this year around .910 it should be very easy to move his contract to a team looking for a veteran in a tandem.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Barely. He's the 22nd highest paid goalie in a league where only 17 guys started 50+ games last year. Allen was 22nd in starts last season and is realistically paid more like a 1a in a tandem than he is to being paid like a starter.

He's absolutely overpaid, but it isn't by a massive amount. If he finishes this year around .910 it should be very easy to move his contract to a team looking for a veteran in a tandem.
If we retain salary should absolutely be able to deal him for mid round pick (barring complete implosion). If we don’t retain not sure we could deal him without taking back $ or sweetening pot a bit.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
Loved Walker with Schenn and Scwartz against the Pens, where has this kid been all this time? lol No way he gets sent down anytime soon.
I’m not convinced he couldn’t be a top-9 winger on this club moving forward for 2-3 seasons while the Blues are going to be at the peak of the Cup-caused cap-crunch (say that three times fast). A cheap scoring winger will help offset the inevitable loss of an expensive veteran, so hopefully he keeps it up and convinces Army he’s worthy of a modest 1-way deal.

Last edited:

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
Loved Walker with Schenn and Scwartz against the Pens, where has this kid been all this time? lol No way he gets sent down anytime soon.

Mostly with the Hershey Bears/Capitals, outside of a 2 game stint where he was claimed by Edmonton off waivers and then reclaimed by the Caps.

Unrelated side note: He is a 2018 Stanley Cup Champion with the Caps, but like Sundqvist with the Penguins, did not qualify to have his name on the Cup.

Reactions: shpongle falls

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Let’s see your all’s lineup with Steen and Sunny back in
Assuming Walker keeps playing well, something like:

Schwartz-Schenn-Walker
Sanford-ROR-Perron
Barbashev-Bozak-Thomas
Steen-Sundqvist-Mac

Sunny doesn’t deserve to be on the 4th line, but someone has to center it. And they will play well together. That bottom 6 is good defensively. Really every line is, we have good balance.

Reactions: Mike Liut

Renard

Nov 14, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Does Faulk ever smile? They showed him on camera after scoring his first goal, and there was not so much as a smirk. He makes Steen look like Rip Taylor.

Reactions: mk80

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Any chance JBo signs for another year? Cap friendly of coarse. I’d love to have him back if he continues to play at this level.

WeWentBlues

May 3, 2017
Didn't Bouwmeester allude to playing until he hits 40 in his recent interview with Kelly Chase? Plans can change in a hurry but I'd expect him back at this point.

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Didn't Bouwmeester allude to playing until he hits 40 in his recent interview with Kelly Chase? Plans can change in a hurry but I'd expect him back at this point.
He said he has an understanding with his wife that he won't play past 40. I think that is a serious comment, too, not a joke. But I don't think it means he'll play until 40 for sure.

After his surgery rehab last season, I have to admit he looks like he has more in the tank than most of us realized. If he accepts increasingly limited roles (and more importantly salary) I think he has another year or two after this one. If he's signing one year contracts, that's pretty darn team friendly.

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
Mike Rupp tried eating his shoe when the Blues won the Cup. This year he didn’t think the Blues would make the playoffs or at best be a bubble team.

Hockey analysts graduated from the same school as weather forecasters.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Mike Rupp tried eating his shoe when the Blues won the Cup. This year he didn’t think the Blues would make the playoffs or at best be a bubble team.

Hockey analysts graduated from the same school as weather forecasters.
The 2 evening muppets said the Hawks would win tonight..... swing and a miss.

Reactions: Spektre

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Any chance JBo signs for another year? Cap friendly of coarse. I’d love to have him back if he continues to play at this level.
Looks like he's really enjoying at long time playing a hockey.

You can read between lines in this interview that Jbo will be playing several years after this season IF he stays healthy.

Jbo is my one of the favorite player currently in Blues.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
The one thing that I keep coming back to watching Bouwmeester play this well is why the hell did he wait so long to get that hip surgery. He looks like a completely different player since.

Reactions: Brockon

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
The one thing that I keep coming back to watching Bouwmeester play this well is why the hell did he wait so long to get that hip surgery. He looks like a completely different player since.
His skating is phenomenal. Last night he pushed off twice with one leg and covered 20ft effortlessly.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Because surgical results in your 30s aren't nearly the guarantee of improvement that they are in your 20s. That surgery was for sure a season ender and a potential career ender. I totally get putting it off as long as possible to keep trying to make one more push. I'm happy it worked out, but it was just as likely that he was going to come back limited and watch his career fizzle from the press box.

It's not like he spent years fighting that hip. His skating was very good in 2016/17 when he played 81 games and it was the injury next year that caused the need for surgery.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->