Speculation: 2019-2020 Sharks Roster Discussion, part deux

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
I read that we can actually trade Martin's buyout money somewhere? Wonder what kind of assets it would cost to do that? Heck, I would love to trade that and Dell somewhere for our 2nd round pick next year. Would clear up 3.3M in cap space and after Korenar would only use 723K of that. So we would still have close to 2.6M free.
I don’t think you can trade Martin’s buyout.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Please no Perry or Phaneuf. I am enjoying the youth movement on the team, I’d rather not become the, “hey but remember when all of these players were good?”ose Sharks.

I’m fine with Marleau on a VERY low contract, playing on the third or fourth line... I guess. But I’m concerned that PDB will bump him at the first sign of a rookie faltering and we’ll have Marleau on the first line at the end of the season.

DeBoer was moving Marleau to the 3rd line during the Finals run. I don't think the concern that DeBoer will play him above his capabilities is warranted. It just depends on what else we have up front. It seems to me, we will have Kane, Hertl, Couture, Meier, Labanc, Sorensen, Goodrow, Radil, and probably Karlsson, Thornton, and Marleau. Then maybe Gambrell and one other spot whether that's internal or a signing like Pavelski or Nyquist or Donskoi.

I can see this team trying to move Labanc into the top six next year which I think he will fail at and using Gambrell to replace him on the 3rd line with Marleau and Thornton. If Labanc is failing, putting him back with Thornton and having Marleau with Couture and Meier wouldn't be the worst utilization of talents.

Saskatoon

Aug 24, 2006
Saskatoon
Im genuinely concerned with how we will fill out our depth. 81.5m cap sure is a giant poop in my bowl of Karlsson cereal

Burns 35 mins/game
Karlsson 30 mins/game
Vlasic 30 mins/game
Dillion 20 mins/game
#5 D 10 mins/game
#6 D 5 mins/game

Who needs depth :sarcasm:

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
The more I think about it, the more I feel that our best chance of making a run this year is basically roll the die with the Cuda guys and hope that one of Chmeleveski or Chekhovich lights it up in the top-9 and one of Gambrell or True have a really impactful year on the 4th line.

Trade Dillon and use whatever cap space is left after signing Meier and Labanc to get another top-9 (or top-6 if affordable) forward to play with Meier-Hertl. The D is the bigger question mark in my opinion because we would be going in with 2 experienced NHL D-men in the bottom-3 who are question marks. Simek because of his injury and Ryan because of his confidence. The remaining spot is to be decided by DeSimone, Ferraro or Middleton.

With the cap issues for us, a lot of our success this season is going to be dependent on how the Cuda guys play. Last year I felt like we lost because of a combination of injuries and lack of production from the 4th line. That production needs to come from the Cuda players. Just hoping PDB does not shit the bed again and decide to use 'tough' guys in those roles.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
One thing I find really interesting regarding the minute distribution for defensemen is that St. Louis basically used a top-3 and a bottom-3 for the playoffs. And their #3 guy sucked.

Pietrangelo: 25:45
Parayko: 25:07
Bouwmeester: 23:30
Edmundson: 16:32
Dunn: 15:10
Gunnarsson: 14:57
Bortuzzo: 12:19

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
One thing I find really interesting regarding the minute distribution for defensemen is that St. Louis basically used a top-3 and a bottom-3 for the playoffs. And their #3 guy sucked.

Pietrangelo: 25:45
Parayko: 25:07
Bouwmeester: 23:30
Edmundson: 16:32
Dunn: 15:10
Gunnarsson: 14:57
Bortuzzo: 12:19

Far more balanced than Deboer’s usage though. Did Dunn’s injury bring down his average or is that just in the games he played in?

ISharkted

Apr 11, 2009
I have faith in Heed and Ryan contributing to a solid 7 deep D when you factor in the return of Simek, assuming Heed and Ryan both return.

My greater concern is the forward group. Would the thought be that JT has another year of 2nd line center in him? As someone else mentioned earlier, I think Banc would be a stellar third scoring line forward given his defensive limitations. If Banc and JT are relegated to the third line, albeit a strong third scoring line, our top 6 forwards are Couture, Kane, Hertl, Meier, “X”, and “Y”. Who are our centers here who can win face offs consistently of the currently available mix?

Timos Death Stare

Seek and Destroy
Aug 9, 2008
CA
Just spit ballin but if the Sharks are looking for a big defenseman with some snarl who can pk then why not Deryk Engleland? (And I’m sure I butchered his name).

His contract history is right in line with what we need to spend and Vegas likely can not afford to resign him.

KirbyDots

May 10, 2011
Just spit ballin but if the Sharks are looking for a big defenseman with some snarl who can pk then why not Deryk Engleland? (And I’m sure I butchered his name).

His contract history is right in line with what we need to spend and Vegas likely can not afford to resign him.
Been discussed, he's pretty much done now.

Reactions: Sandisfan

boylerroom

Jan 2, 2012
PRofKA
Looking at the cap numbers and roster a little closer I'm confused by the Sorensen contract. He seems totally replaceable for what he provides with an AHL call up. And I think Melker Karlsson doesn't seem to fit anymore either. That's a 3.5 M right there, not including replacement. But if the rumors are true that the Sharks are gonna bring back Marleau at league min then it seems like we have too many forwards. Cause honestly I really think we NEED Pavs back to win. He is far more valuable than he is given credit for. Other than Timo Meier I want Pavs back.

Negatively Positive

Mr. Longevity
Mar 2, 2011
I wonder if Meier is asking for a similar contract to Hertl. Remember the Sharks gave him 5.6 mill per before he had a career year this year. He got 5.6 mill with career highs of 22 goals and 46 pts. Timo could feel he deserves at least that if not more. That's why when people were rooting for Timo to hit 30 goals I was a bit hesitant because I knew the cap was going to be tight and him hitting the 30 goal mark would make things harder.

KirbyDots

May 10, 2011
I'm wondering if part of the hold up is DW is trying to see if he can get Meier, Labanc, and Pavs to sign contracts with the same term.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Looking at the cap numbers and roster a little closer I'm confused by the Sorensen contract. He seems totally replaceable for what he provides with an AHL call up. And I think Melker Karlsson doesn't seem to fit anymore either. That's a 3.5 M right there, not including replacement. But if the rumors are true that the Sharks are gonna bring back Marleau at league min then it seems like we have too many forwards. Cause honestly I really think we NEED Pavs back to win. He is far more valuable than he is given credit for. Other than Timo Meier I want Pavs back.

I think you are greatly overrating the Cuda players if you think 30 points (Sorensen) is going to replaceable by an AHL callup. I do think Melker is replaceable but we do need a cheaper PK'er.

We need to find a way to replace Pavs production and I am 100% sure that the Cuda players are not going to do that on their own barring a huge surprise. But we could potentially get a cheaper top-9 F who can be good for about 50 points, PK and is a better skater than Pavs. That is what I want. Pavs is not going to hit 64 points again this year. Dude had a 20% shooting percentage last year. That is 8% higher than his career average.

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
How is it far more balanced then deboers?

Heed’s numbers are skewed since he played in 3 games and when EK65 was hurt. Ryan was playing 3-4 minutes some nights when Vlasic and Karlsson were in the lineup. That’s ridiculous if you’re only icing 6 defensemen.

Reactions: Sandisfan

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
DeBoer was moving Marleau to the 3rd line during the Finals run. I don't think the concern that DeBoer will play him above his capabilities is warranted. It just depends on what else we have up front. It seems to me, we will have Kane, Hertl, Couture, Meier, Labanc, Sorensen, Goodrow, Radil, and probably Karlsson, Thornton, and Marleau. Then maybe Gambrell and one other spot whether that's internal or a signing like Pavelski or Nyquist or Donskoi.

I can see this team trying to move Labanc into the top six next year which I think he will fail at and using Gambrell to replace him on the 3rd line with Marleau and Thornton. If Labanc is failing, putting him back with Thornton and having Marleau with Couture and Meier wouldn't be the worst utilization of talents.

Oh boy. I am not looking forward to a season of this.

Reactions: one2gamble
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $1,214.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Sweden vs Germany