Speculation: 2019-2020 Sharks Roster Discussion, part deux

Status
Not open for further replies.

ISharkted

Apr 11, 2009
I’d wager it’s like the trading deadline and they are processed and communicated well beyond the actual deadline

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
I do think that, if he were to sign at league minimum, having Marleau on the 4th line is a great option. If he plays better than last year, he could be with Joe and Sorenson. Though, if we were to re-sign Pavs, I’d be curious to do:

Meier - Couture - Labanc
Kane - Hertl - Chechkovich
Sorenson - Pavelski - Chlemevski
Marleau - Joe - Radil

Of course if the rookies fail, it all falls apart.

More likely it’s this...

Meier - Couture - Pavs
Kane - Hertl - Labanc
Marleau - Joe - Sorenson
Melker/Gambrell - Gambrell/True - Radil

Not a fan of that second group because Pavs really drags Meier/Couture down. They really took off once Nyquist was swapped onto their line in Pavelski's place...

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
It would be shocking to see DW suddenly offersheet someone when he just spent 11.5 million a year on EK... but if someone like Marner is ready and willing... I doubt it but who knows. It’s a crazy offseason where I have no real idea what DW will do.

A poster from many years ago, SJEasy, pointed out once that significant player turnover over an offseason generally equated with a poorer season (don’t remember the exact numbers). So, the Sharks do also need to be a bit wary of losing a bunch of hometown glue-type leaders (Braun, Pavs... Melker seems to be well liked. Dillon definitely is) to bring in a bunch of new guys.

Like I said though, DW is both against a wall and has a lot of options, both small and big, so, no idea what his plan is.
The Blues turned over their 1st and 3rd line center and had 7 guys in their lineup that were not on the team last year and won the Cup so I don't really think that stat matters or holds up in the modern day.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
We've had periods of time having guys like Radil and Karlsson playing shifts in the top six. It's going to happen. I sincerely doubt that that would be a regular thing unless the Sharks do absolutely nothing but keep Thornton, sign Marleau, and run with young guys to fill the rest of the spots. If they end up re-signing one of Pavelski, Nyquist, or Donskoi, that shouldn't be a regular thing. However, even if it is, that's going to do significantly better than you seem to think it is as long as Meier continues to be a driving force as he was last year. It's not like Pavelski, as the 2nd highest forward in ice time with Meier 5v5, was contributing to Meier's ability to do that. I don't foresee there being much of a problem there unless Meier proves himself to be a one-hit wonder in this aspect of his game. Given Marleau and Couture's chemistry with one another, I think they'd do well together as a line. I don't think it's going to be what they run with most of the time but as a backup option if lineups and injuries dictate, I can see it happening and working.

Meier-Couture were losing their matchups with a 34 year old Pavelski on their wing. They would get annihilated with a 40 year old Marleau.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Meier-Couture were losing their matchups with a 34 year old Pavelski on their wing. They would get annihilated with a 40 year old Marleau.

I disagree with that. Meier-Couture-Pavelski were doing fine in their matchups. You'd have to get to a very narrow scope to call what they did losing their matchups.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
He was awesome. Best analyst I’ve seen here. He passed away, I imagine? I remember him saying he was sick.
My only problem that I had with his analyzing was that he would always cite old studies he had done without ever presenting much or any of his research or data. He would've had a field day with all the new info we have nowadays.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00