Speculation: 2019-2020 Sharks Roster Discussion, part deux

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Oh boy. I am not looking forward to a season of this.
Truth is that if Patty is on the roster, there will most certainly be a time when PDB is going to put him in the top-6. I don't think he is a top-6 player either but PDB is the dude that used Melker in that position multiple times and Patty is still better than Melker is.

That is the problem with giving PDB players he trusts. He overuses them and expects them to play at the same level as they have done in the past.

Reactions: WSS11 and Sandisfan

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
With what money? :D

As of right now, we've got $14.84M in cap space. More than enough to sign one of those offer sheets. If those players were willing to sign one, I would make them the top priority and worry about the rest later. You could easily clear out space to make room for Meier after the sheet is signed as well.

Reactions: FeedingFrenzy

bigsjfan

Jul 25, 2010
St John's, NL
I think you are greatly overrating the Cuda players if you think 30 points (Sorensen) is going to replaceable by an AHL callup. I do think Melker is replaceable but we do need a cheaper PK'er.

We need to find a way to replace Pavs production and I am 100% sure that the Cuda players are not going to do that on their own barring a huge surprise. But we could potentially get a cheaper top-9 F who can be good for about 50 points, PK and is a better skater than Pavs. That is what I want. Pavs is not going to hit 64 points again this year. Dude had a 20% shooting percentage last year. That is 8% higher than his career average.
I live Pavs, but who you are describing is Nyquist and I'm sure he would love to stay and play with his buddy EK65.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Dillon, Pavs, Melker, Dell?

We currently have 14M available. Conservatively, Meier and Labanc cost us 8M. Leaves 6M.

Dillon, Melker and Dell clear a good amount of space. 7.1M. Lets say Dillon and Dell replacements are 750K each. That leaves us with 5.6M.

So 11.6M. Would be super tough but is doable assuming we can move Dell, Dillon and Melker without retaining. Again, the biggest assumption here though is that Labanc and Meier bridge for 8M. With how long that is taking, I am guessing its going to be closer to 10M. Would leave us with still 9.6M to play with though.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
We currently have 14M available. Conservatively, Meier and Labanc cost us 8M. Leaves 6M.

Dillon, Melker and Dell clear a good amount of space. 7.1M. Lets say Dillon and Dell replacements are 750K each. That leaves us with 5.6M.

So 11.6M. Would be super tough but is doable assuming we can move Dell, Dillon and Melker without retaining. Again, the biggest assumption here though is that Labanc and Meier bridge for 8M. With how long that is taking, I am guessing its going to be closer to 10M. Would leave us with still 9.6M to play with though.

I would let Labanc go if it was necessary to make room in order to sign one of those players to an offer sheet. Same goes for signing Panarin.

Reactions: 209

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
It would be shocking to see DW suddenly offersheet someone when he just spent 11.5 million a year on EK... but if someone like Marner is ready and willing... I doubt it but who knows. It’s a crazy offseason where I have no real idea what DW will do.

A poster from many years ago, SJEasy, pointed out once that significant player turnover over an offseason generally equated with a poorer season (don’t remember the exact numbers). So, the Sharks do also need to be a bit wary of losing a bunch of hometown glue-type leaders (Braun, Pavs... Melker seems to be well liked. Dillon definitely is) to bring in a bunch of new guys.

Like I said though, DW is both against a wall and has a lot of options, both small and big, so, no idea what his plan is.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Oh boy. I am not looking forward to a season of this.

We've had periods of time having guys like Radil and Karlsson playing shifts in the top six. It's going to happen. I sincerely doubt that that would be a regular thing unless the Sharks do absolutely nothing but keep Thornton, sign Marleau, and run with young guys to fill the rest of the spots. If they end up re-signing one of Pavelski, Nyquist, or Donskoi, that shouldn't be a regular thing. However, even if it is, that's going to do significantly better than you seem to think it is as long as Meier continues to be a driving force as he was last year. It's not like Pavelski, as the 2nd highest forward in ice time with Meier 5v5, was contributing to Meier's ability to do that. I don't foresee there being much of a problem there unless Meier proves himself to be a one-hit wonder in this aspect of his game. Given Marleau and Couture's chemistry with one another, I think they'd do well together as a line. I don't think it's going to be what they run with most of the time but as a backup option if lineups and injuries dictate, I can see it happening and working.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Timos Death Stare

Seek and Destroy
Aug 9, 2008
CA
It would be shocking to see DW suddenly offersheet someone when he just spent 11.5 million a year on EK... but if someone like Marner is ready and willing... I doubt it but who knows. It’s a crazy offseason where I have no real idea what DW will do.

A poster from many years ago, SJEasy, pointed out once that significant player turnover over an offseason generally equated with a poorer season (don’t remember the exact numbers). So, the Sharks do also need to be a bit wary of losing a bunch of hometown glue-type leaders (Braun, Pavs... Melker seems to be well liked. Dillon definitely is) to bring in a bunch of new guys.

Like I said though, DW is both against a wall and has a lot of options, both small and big, so, no idea what his plan is.
I miss SJEasy... man that makes me sad.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
I do think that, if he were to sign at league minimum, having Marleau on the 4th line is a great option. If he plays better than last year, he could be with Joe and Sorenson. Though, if we were to re-sign Pavs, I’d be curious to do:

Meier - Couture - Labanc
Kane - Hertl - Chechkovich
Sorenson - Pavelski - Chlemevski
Marleau - Joe - Radil

Of course if the rookies fail, it all falls apart.

More likely it’s this...

Meier - Couture - Pavs
Kane - Hertl - Labanc
Marleau - Joe - Sorenson
Melker/Gambrell - Gambrell/True - Radil

SharksAddict

Dec 21, 2008
In terms of the offer sheet convo, wouldn't the Sharks be ineligible anyway due to not having the draft picks available that would be necessary?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad