Speculation: 2019-2020 Sharks Roster Discussion, part deux

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gilligans Island

Jul 2, 2006
SF/Bay Area
Thanks for posting.

Yeah that's feasible - not a great lineup - but feasible. Heavily dependent on being able to move Dell, which I don't think is feasible.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Thanks for posting.

Yeah that's feasible - not a great lineup - but feasible. Heavily dependent on being able to move Dell, which I don't think is feasible.

Yeah this teams depth and ability to ice the best possible lineup depends on dillon, melker, dell (lesser extent then the other 2) being traded for picks. And pavs not trying to earn as much as he humanly possibly can.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Yeah this teams depth and ability to ice the best possible lineup depends on dillon, melker, dell (lesser extent then the other 2) being traded for picks. And pavs not trying to earn as much as he humanly possibly can.

I think part of it is also largely dependent on Pavs taking a friendlier deal of 6M or less to help us add some depth. Him asking for 7M is totally fair but he is going to most definitely impact the team from adding the much needed depth to the bottom-6.

Which is why I think we need to keep our options open and not put all our eggs in the Pavs basket. If I can get a lesser player like Nyquist/Dzingel for 5.5M with term and also add Donskoi for 3M with term, I would rather do that and get us the much needed depth in that top-9.

We could always expose one of those guys in the expansion draft if we need to.

NewMuzu24

May 28, 2018
At 81.8M, I can't see how it's feasible to keep Pavs without an unreasonable discount. The more I think about it, the more I don't think it's a good use of 6+M either.

In the below scenario, Dell and Melker are traded with no retention. Marleau bought out by someone else and signs for 1M (Still doubt it happens and don't know if it should). Timo and Labanc come in at combined 7.7M on 2yr bridge deals.

Cap is 81.8 M. Space left is 227K. Dillon can be traded for savings to spread across Meier, Labanc, Nyquist, and Jumbo.
upload_2019-6-19_9-24-39.png

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
Yeah its not the best lineup. But its whats needed if pavs is being greedy.

If Pavs wants 7MM then he’s gone. I think Nyquist and Zuccarello are going to get 7MM+ after Hayes signed for 7.1MM. I’m not sure where to go from here if I’m DW besides maybe clearing Dell and Melker for picks.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
Man, the more I think about it the less I think we’re signing Pavs unless he decides to take a very generous discount — which, at his age, why would he do when he can cash in elsewhere? And I’m sure plenty of contenders would be willing to sign him, he won’t go to a bottom feeder.

But everyone’s attempts at fitting him in just guts our forwards — and unless our new Euros and/or the Russian kids blow up, it looks grim.

On the other hand, no Pavelski gives us some breathing room to create a much more balanced line up. The fact is, Kane-Hertl and Meier-Couture don’t NEED amazing right wingers. They need smart, speedy playmakers. I’m sure we can find some for relatively cheap.

That said, it makes me sad to lose the heartbeat of our team. I imagine Couture gets the C.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
At 81.8M, I can't see how it's feasible to keep Pavs without an unreasonable discount. The more I think about it, the more I don't think it's a good use of 6+M either.

In the below scenario, Dell and Melker are traded with no retention. Marleau bought out by someone else and signs for 1M (Still doubt it happens and don't know if it should). Timo and Labanc come in at combined 7.7M on 2yr bridge deals.

Cap is 81.8 M. Space left is 227K. Dillon can be traded for savings to spread across Meier, Labanc, Nyquist, and Jumbo.
View attachment 237867

See, if we can get Meier and Labanc to sign those bridge deals, this is the kind of roster I want. Try out Chekhovich, Chmeleveski or Gmbrell in that bottom-6 and pick the best player there for this season.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
If Pavs wants 7MM then he’s gone. I think Nyquist and Zuccarello are going to get 7MM+ after Hayes signed for 7.1MM. I’m not sure where to go from here if I’m DW besides maybe clearing Dell and Melker for picks.

I think we could get Nyquist on a pretty reasonable discount, something like a 5X5. I would consider that even though his age worries me.

If he wants Hayes’ contract, which he might honestly deserve, let him walk.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
Man, the more I think about it the less I think we’re signing Pavs unless he decides to take a very generous discount — which, at his age, why would he do when he can cash in elsewhere? And I’m sure plenty of contenders would be willing to sign him, he won’t go to a bottom feeder.

But everyone’s attempts at fitting him in just guts our forwards — and unless our new Euros and/or the Russian kids blow up, it looks grim.

On the other hand, no Pavelski gives us some breathing room to create a much more balanced line up. The fact is, Kane-Hertl and Meier-Couture don’t NEED amazing right wingers. They need smart, speedy playmakers. I’m sure we can find some for relatively cheap.

That said, it makes me sad to lose the heartbeat of our team. I imagine Couture gets the C.
I agree with these sentiments. I think Labanc fits with Kane-Hertl while I think it makes sense to likely trade Merkley for a RW to play on the top line given we don't have anyone that can offer the speed and defensive ability combo that it is going to take to play the tough minutes with Couture and Meier. While I like Merkley's skillset and upside as a prospect, by the time he will either 1) be ready to contribute or 2) we need him there will have been 2 or 3 more drafts at least and multiple offseasons to add young D-Men back into the pipeline.

Think DW has shown he is in it for the now which means someone has to go. Easier to stomach moving a D with a skillset that we just locked up for 8 years than it is to move a forward prospect that we are going to need this year or next like the Ch twins will be.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I agree with these sentiments. I think Labanc fits with Kane-Hertl while I think it makes sense to likely trade Merkley for a RW to play on the top line given we don't have anyone that can offer the speed and defensive ability combo that it is going to take to play the tough minutes with Couture and Meier. While I like Merkley's skillset and upside as a prospect, by the time he will either 1) be ready to contribute or 2) we need him there will have been 2 or 3 more drafts at least and multiple offseasons to add young D-Men back into the pipeline.

Think DW has shown he is in it for the now which means someone has to go. Easier to stomach moving a D with a skillset that we just locked up for 8 years than it is to move a forward prospect that we are going to need this year or next like the Ch twins will be.

Most likely not popular opinion but I would rather have someone like Donskoi + Fehr than Pavs.

Kane-Couture-Labanc
Meier-Hertl-Donskoi
Sorensen-Jumbo-Chekhovich
Goodrow-Fehr-Gambrell

I think Fehr can take over Melker's role as a PK'er and do a better job as 4C than anyone we had last year. I would love to try True as 4C as well but the ineffectiveness of our 4th line in the playoffs really concerns me.

Reactions: Paatre and Dicdonya

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
Most likely not popular opinion but I would rather have someone like Donskoi + Fehr than Pavs.

Kane-Couture-Labanc
Meier-Hertl-Donskoi
Sorensen-Jumbo-Chekhovich
Goodrow-Fehr-Gambrell

I think Fehr can take over Melker's role as a PK'er and do a better job as 4C than anyone we had last year. I would love to try True as 4C as well but the ineffectiveness of our 4th line in the playoffs really concerns me.
I think Fehr makes sense given familiarity, PK, skating, physical, and cheap. Can be had for probably $900k - $1 mil (negligible difference compared to True's $760k). Think he is a legit option with or without Pavelski (may even call it likely given the speculation surrounding his return by I believe it was LeBrun and how DW/PDB really liked him).

I don't think you can go into a season though with Donskoi and two rookies making up the RW spots though. Donskoi is good for a 15 game or so absence each year it seems with his chronic shoulder issues and then the rookies are all going to be a mixed bag. Given there should be cap space with no Pavs, I would swap Donskoi for Nyquist and also add Perry or a veteran 3rd line RW. If one of the rookies impresses out of camp and shows to be too good to send down, then great and you cross that bridge then. But relying on them to produce and stay healthy through a full NHL season and playoff run is likely too ambitious given the most likely guy to fill into a top 9 role have not even played in the AHL for more than short stints after their junior seasons. Would rather have those guys for depth since there will be inevitable injuries throughout the season.

Gilligans Island

Jul 2, 2006
SF/Bay Area
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA