Speculation: 2019-2020 Sharks Roster Discussion Part 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
Sharks' Mario Ferraro adjusting to the NHL after he was the...

Paywall

“Part of the reason they’ve looked so disjointed is because of the numerous young players that coach Pete DeBoer has been forced to integrate into the lineup.”

“Forced”. Poor, Pistol Pete. He has no future HoF on his roster. No all-stars. No prodigal son.
Don't forget this part when people wonder why there are so many odd man rushes against.

Part of that instant success is because DeBoer’s system is similar to what Ferraro played in his two seasons at the University of Massachusetts under coach Greg Carvel. Both coaches encourage their defensemen to play an ultra-aggressive style in which they’re supposed to take calculated risks to help create offense. Carvel worked on that aspect of the game specifically with Ferraro in their two seasons together.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
I am not superstitious, but I came home to find my inaugural Sharks 1992 season flag fallen from its post.

This does make me think of the start of the 2002-2003 season. No replacements for key players (Suter, and Nabokov/Stuart to start the season), high reliance on youth, and a lack of cohesion on the ice.

SjMilhouse

Jul 18, 2012
Quite often the "only numbers" argument thing is made by people who have zero to minimal experience in the actual sport, team athletics, a team oriented workplace, life experience working with a variety of different people and personalities, etc... Sample sizes also vary or are too small to be definitive yet are thrown up as gospel. Something to consider... Scotty Bowman won on every team he coached before analytics. Going to take someone a long time to ever catch him and that's even with the benefit of modern analytics. Of the top 4 sports, hockey might be the most dependent on a players self confidence. All the skill in the world can't overcome self doubt or a bad day in Hockey. Coaches with a good grasp of psychology would seem to have an advantage. Then having a good analytics person would help confirm or deny trends that the coach sees. Knowing when to throw a player out there, especially one who's been struggling, is the "feel" or "hunch" part of managing players. For example, why did PDB throw Goody out suddenly after benching the majority of game 7 against Vegas? Could be blind luck, but maybe he or one of the other coaches saw something in his demeanor on the bench. You can tell a lot watching your players on a bench.
Yeah it's not black and white. There is value in analytics and there is value in the interpersonal, hands on coaching/gut. People aren't robots who act the same way all the time and as a coach your job is to manage the 40000 things going on at any given time that don't necessarily show up in the analytics. Analytics are great for large sample sizes and long term predictions and should be used a lot but a coach is going to know how and when to push a certain player in certain situations better despite what the analytics might show. I just hate this black and white view point people have about everything these days, nothing is really black and white. No coach is perfect, and the analytics aren't always perfect. Statistics doesn't work where "x means y always" which is how a lot of people seem to treat it.

Last edited:

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
Yeah it's not black and white. There is value in analytics and there is value in the interpersonal, hands on coaching/gut. People aren't robots who act the same way all the time and as a coach your job is to manage the 40000 things going on at any given time that don't necessarily show up in the analytics. Analytics are great for large sample sizes and long term predictions and should be used a lot but a coach is going to know how and when to push a certain player in certain situations better despite what the analytics might show. I just hate this black and white view point people have about everything these days, nothing is really black and white. No coach is perfect, and the analytics aren't always perfect. Statistics doesn't work where "x means y always" which is how a lot of people seem to treat it.
One of my main points is that someone (actually many) with no analytics was able to consistently win but we haven't seen someone using only analytics build a winner. I'm not sure stats should be the driving force in personnel and coaching decisions.

Coily

Gettin' Jiggy with it
Oct 8, 2008
Redlands
Is our 2019 #1 pick protected in any way? Looks like it may be Top 10 the way it's going...
No, there was a condition but that was only about what year Ottawa would receive. Obviously its going to be 2020 now that we made the playoffs last year and Buffalo got our 1st in 2019.

Short answer: No.

Reactions: StanleyCup2035

Kingsfan1

Oct 1, 2006
Staples Center
I know I’m supposed to hate the Sharks but man if there is one year I want to see you guys kill it and go to the top it’s this year . I took Couture and Meier high in my fantasy draft thinking they can lead and handle the pressure and have big years and now I’m cringing ! Luckily I got Mantha and Zibanejad late in my draft and hopefully will be fine . I also have Aho who’s started off terrible as well.

What’s wrong with the team this year ? Letting Pavelski go might be one of the biggest mistakes

ISharkted

Apr 11, 2009
I know I’m supposed to hate the Sharks but man if there is one year I want to see you guys kill it and go to the top it’s this year . I took Couture and Meier high in my fantasy draft thinking they can lead and handle the pressure and have big years and now I’m cringing ! Luckily I got Mantha and Zibanejad late in my draft and hopefully will be fine . I also have Aho who’s started off terrible as well.

What’s wrong with the team this year ? Letting Pavelski go might be one of the biggest mistakes

Only have 4 legit top 6 skaters. First line needs a true 1C to be paired with Timo and Logan. Second line needs a legit top 6 scoring RW to go with Kane and Hertl. I think the third line could be great as a Marleau - Thornton - Labanc line.

Reactions: Kingsfan1

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Only have 4 legit top 6 skaters. First line needs a true 1C to be paired with Timo and Logan. Second line needs a legit top 6 scoring RW to go with Kane and Hertl. I think the third line could be great as a Marleau - Thornton - Labanc line.
This and need to find a coach who can focus on the defensive side of things and focus mainly on counters than try to be aggressive with the puck at all times.

And we could use a goalie who plays more consistent.

Reactions: Kingsfan1

No ReGretzkys

May 8, 2018
But you have the 2 best offensive D's in the league.. which should easily make up for your missing pieces on offense.

I did not expect this at all.

Sharksfan83

Jul 27, 2010
But you have the 2 best offensive D's in the league.. which should easily make up for your missing pieces on offense.

I did not expect this at all.

When you only have legit two superstars on the team and theyre both in the same spot, other teams will shut that down quickly and wait for that miscalculated pass. If somehow we could move Vlasics salary to a 1st line forward, we would be much better off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad