Speculation: 2019-2020 Sharks Roster Discussion Part 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I know Brian Boyle is still unsigned and he has been primarily a 4C over the last few years but would it make sense if we got him for around 2M in the 3C role? He can PK and is very solid defensively.

I know how cap strapped we are but I am just looking at how to make the team better defensively with the current coaching staff.

Reactions: Pistol Pete
Jul 10, 2010
I know Brian Boyle is still unsigned and he has been primarily a 4C over the last few years but would it make sense if we got him for around 2M in the 3C role? He can PK and is very solid defensively.

I know how cap strapped we are but I am just looking at how to make the team better defensively with the current coaching staff.
3 goals in 3 games, adding more bottom 6 depth isnt the answer. add at the top, to push the guys down that are in over their heads

Reactions: ISharkted

ISharkted

Apr 11, 2009
3 goals in 3 games, adding more bottom 6 depth isnt the answer. add at the top, to push the guys down that are in over their heads
Sharks need a legit top line center flanked by Couture and Timo. Second line should be Hertl at Center, Kane on LW, and they need a legit top six scoring winger.

Jumbo and Labanc on third line with Yur

Reactions: KarlssonsGroin
Jul 10, 2010
I honestly don't think it will help much either but if Boyle could play 3C and Jumbo could play 4C, it could add some depth scoring.
i think the issue is on the wings personally. i dont think the guys playing alongside Jumbo are going to score alot no matter who the centerman is. find wingers, push whoever down to jumbos line, push others out.

ISharkted

Apr 11, 2009
The problem is system played versus personnel available. And, it felt like the org went into the season thinking they were one short in the top 6 that someone would step up when they were really two short. Lots of help needed.

PJ817

Jan 27, 2019
I honestly don't think it will help much either but if Boyle could play 3C and Jumbo could play 4C, it could add some depth scoring.
long time Boyle fan (rags days)

He's 4c... putting him at 3c does him and the team a disservice; he's good on pk as he'll throw his body in front of stuff but Jumbo should stay at 3c...

boredatwork

Oct 7, 2013
There really are next to no options for outside help. This year's free agent class for forwards is downright awful. Hall isn't coming here and I doubt Kreider is either.

FunkyPhin

Feb 2, 2011
Vancouver
Not to belabor the point, but is anyone still convinced that our forward core is good? Because I feel like a lot of people around here were telling me I was out of line for claiming it was bad.

i cant believe anyone thought it was anything better than "average" even with Kane, and very top heavy at that. People who pointed out concerns with Labanc not being a true top 6 fwd were either dismissed or ignored. People just plugged in the ch-twins, and assumed their production would come.

really think we need not one but two middle 6 wingers.

not sure if it'll quote properly on mobile but I posted the below in another thread and was largely shot down. The teams forwards are not good, but I also think the system is equally at fault (probably more so). our system is straight trash in every aspect, Including the preseason we're 1-9 so far this season.

if our top 6 is actually going to be
Meier - Couture - LaBanc
Kane - Hertl - xxx/Gambrell

That's pretty dreadful, others have chimed in but I have little to no faith that Labanc will be able to survive in the top 6. Kane is inconsistent, and Hertl or Couture is gonna have to drag him along during points in the season. Coaches keep trying to shoe horn Gambrell into a top 6 role and he's fallen flat on his face in the preseason, I can't imagine what would happen during the regular season (though I don't expect him to be in the top 6 during the season)

If we had retained Nyquist I would have been a lot more hopeful going into the season​

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
The Islanders went to the 2nd round of the playoffs last year with their leading scorer hitting 62pts. They made Lehner look like a vezina candidate with far less talent on the back end as well. We have enough talent up front. This is 100% a coaching and system issue. The team got to where they did last season because they had a stacked roster pure and simple. The fact that we almost didn’t get past the first round last year is a testament to how badly Deboer needs to go.

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
Why can’t it be the chicken and the egg? The forward group is awful and the coaching is awful.

I don’t think the forward group is awful. It’s definitely not ideal in terms of experience but the talent is there and good enough to be successful. Last year we were able to overcome this trash defensive system with an abundance of talent at both ends of the ice. As many have pointed out, we’re not going to be putting up the 2nd most GF this year. If this team isn’t coached to play more responsible hockey defensively then it won’t matter if DW acquires another top six forward. He’d just be putting duct tape on a titanic sized gash.

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015
3rd period of the Anaheim game, I felt like the guys came out with some fire. Too little too late, but I suspect things aren’t as dire as they might seem.

That said, our roster is far from complete. The loss of Pavelski, Braun, Nyquist, Donskoi has not been even slightly mitigated. I think Ferraro has done an outstanding job so far, but he is ultimately a rookie and not so naturally gifted as to be an immediate impact player. Certainly not ready to eat all of Braun’s minutes. Meanwhile, our entire right side is empty, our best RW and hope for replacing 38 goal scorer Joe Pavelski is Kevin Labanc, and there exists nothing even close in the depth chart after that. Melker, Yurtaykin, Radil, Brodzinski, and even Gambrell are 4th line player. They are not replacements for what we lost - although they would allow us to move Melker for more cap space at the TDL. Hell maybe we can even get a few late picks for a couple of them like we did with Desjardins and Sheppard.

I think Simek and Kane coming back will certainly help, but we need another top-6 winger at a minimum.

Even then, this team is not deep enough for a real run. A bad string of injuries could easily knock us out of contention. And injuries will inevitably derail us from getting much further than round 1 if we do make it.

Projected Line-Up:

Timo - Couture - TDL
Kane - Hertl - Labanc
Sorenson - Thornton - Brodzinski
Radil - Goodrow - Yurtaykin

Burns - Vlasic
Dillion - Karlsson
Ferraro - Simek (Off Side)

Sharksfan83

Jul 27, 2010
I really hope we don't keep playing this dump it in --> cycle to points --> pray that the ghost of pavelski wills a tip system. It's really time for a change.

This. We build no pressure because as soon as we get to their zone, we throw the puck at the net from the point and give it back to them. Remember when we used to cycle and be one of the best possession teams in the league?

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015
This. We build no pressure because as soon as we get to their zone, we throw the puck at the net from the point and give it back to them. Remember when we used to cycle and be one of the best possession teams in the league?

I was thinking about this last night. Ever since we lost in the finals, there has been this push away from possession hockey towards a fast, transition style. I really think that has been a mistake. You don't win by chasing the leader, you win by being something better. We should have stuck with our game and simply made it better.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Sharks mailbag: How is Pete DeBoer's job security? And is it...

But one week into the season, DeBoer’s job security isn’t even worth discussing. If the Sharks are hovering around last place at Thanksgiving, then we can talk.

We can’t talk about doing what the defending Stanley Cup Champions did when they fired their head coach before Thanksgiving. That’s not even worth discussing. :sarcasm:

Levie

Mar 15, 2011
This season feels like it's going to be a complete lost season. Bad goaltending, piss poor powerplay, and coaching that refuses to adapt to what the lineup's strengths are. Feels like every year with PDB. I wish they hadn't gotten lucky with pavelski getting concussed. Maybe it would have forced DW to make some changes to the coaching staff.

Trotz makes every goalie he coaches look like allstars. PDB makes every goalie earn every save.

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
This season feels like it's going to be a complete lost season. Bad goaltending, piss poor powerplay, and coaching that refuses to adapt to what the lineup's strengths are. Feels like every year with PDB. I wish they hadn't gotten lucky with pavelski getting concussed. Maybe it would have forced DW to make some changes to the coaching staff.

Trotz makes every goalie he coaches look like allstars. PDB makes every goalie earn every save.
this sounds suspiciously like the start of last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad