Speculation: 2019-2020 Sharks Roster Discussion Part 11 - Post TDL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
I was thinking about our roster next year and realized I barely know what that even looks like. Obviously, DW has his work cut out for him and I'm sure they're looking hard at free agents and trades, but, from memory, is this basically our team:

Kane - Hertl - Labanc
Meier - Couture - Gambrell
Gregor - Thornton - Bergmann
Sorenson - Kellman - Noesen

Vlasic - Karlsson
Simek - Burns
Ferraro - Heed/Merkley (I hope it's Merkley)

...some version of that monstrosity? Oof. So, in theory, we need:

Kane - Hertl - Top 6
Meier - Couture - Top 6
Gregor - 3rd Line Center - Labanc
Sorenson - Thornton - Noesen

I'm not sure that's where Gregor's going to be, but I figure we'd want to try him on the third next year. That's um, a lot of things to do.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
I was thinking about our roster next year and realized I barely know what that even looks like. Obviously, DW has his work cut out for him and I'm sure they're looking hard at free agents and trades, but, from memory, is this basically our team:

Kane - Hertl - Labanc
Meier - Couture - Gambrell
Gregor - Thornton - Bergmann
Sorenson - Kellman - Noesen

Vlasic - Karlsson
Simek - Burns
Ferraro - Heed/Merkley (I hope it's Merkley)

...some version of that monstrosity? Oof. So, in theory, we need:

Kane - Hertl - Top 6
Meier - Couture - Top 6
Gregor - 3rd Line Center - Labanc
Sorenson - Thornton - Noesen

I'm not sure that's where Gregor's going to be, but I figure we'd want to try him on the third next year. That's um, a lot of things to do.
I'll be shocked if you can't pencil in that college winger and probably that college defenseman that signed recently. Maybe the D-man needs some AHL but these guys are older than other prospects. Maybe even the Swedish center for the 4th line that they signed. Kellman is already gone I think and Noesen probably won't be back due to cap and the over abundance of bottom 6 prospects the Sharks have.

Erep

Jul 17, 2019
I have:

Meier - Hertl - Signing (Ideally Danodov, but probably Toffoli or something)
Kane - Couture - Gregor
Prospect (Bergmann, Leonard, lot of possibilities)- Thronton - Labanc
Marleau - Handemark - Noesen

Vlasic - Karlsson
Simek - Burns
Ferraro - Merkley/Pasichnuk (I think it will be Merkley)

Last offseason, I was Meier - Couture and Kane - Hertl to split up big bodied Meier and Hertl, but I felt this year chemistry wise this worked better for both lines.

Gregor needs to produce more, but overall I think that line had things going in the right direction toward the end, and Gregor showed the physical abilities, just wasn't putting up the numbers, but that was kind of the whole team.

I have Merkley in there because, I believe if this team wins, it is because of 60 minutes from talent and puck handling from RD. Merkley is the one who gives them the chance to round it out. Also, you look at what top talent PHD rookies did this year in the NHL, and while Merkley may not be as physically developed or complete as those two, he has all the talent, if not more, and he would be playing way fewer minutes and against lesser competition than Hughes and Makar had to.

Also, I was tempted to put Simek with Merkley just to split up the 1st and 2nd year players, but long term chemistry wise, this is probably the best option for the team to develop.

While Ferraro always worked hard and deserves his spot, I think he needs to go back to LD, which makes this setup, over a Pasichnuk lineup where Ferraro needs to be on the right side.

Reactions: themelkman

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
I have:

Kane - Couture - Gregor

Vlasic - Karlsson
Simek - Burns

Last offseason, I was Meier - Couture and Kane - Hertl to split up big bodied Meier and Hertl, but I felt this year chemistry wise this worked better for both lines.

Gregor needs to produce more, but overall I think that line had things going in the right direction toward the end, and Gregor showed the physical abilities, just wasn't putting up the numbers, but that was kind of the whole team.

I have Merkley in there because, I believe if this team wins, it is because of 60 minutes from talent and puck handling from RD. Merkley is the one who gives them the chance to round it out. Also, you look at what top talent PHD rookies did this year in the NHL, and while Merkley may not be as physically developed or complete as those two, he has all the talent, if not more, and he would be playing way fewer minutes and against lesser competition than Hughes and Makar had to.

Also, I was tempted to put Simek with Merkley just to split up the 1st and 2nd year players, but long term chemistry wise, this is probably the best option for the team to develop.

While Ferraro always worked hard and deserves his spot, I think he needs to go back to LD, which makes this setup, over a Pasichnuk lineup where Ferraro needs to be on the right side.
I like everything here, however I think Gregor wont be ready for a top six spot, he was only a callup last year and while he worked great, his production nor play was worthy of that spot yet. I think its very likely he starts on Jumbos wing

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
I have:

Kane - Couture - Gregor

Vlasic - Karlsson
Simek - Burns

Ideally Meier and Hertl are on different lines but last season wasn't so much about Chemistry that forced Meier with Hertl, it was Meier's shitty play in the beginning of the season. Meier with Couture and Hertl with Kane almost got the team to the SCF.

boredatwork

Oct 7, 2013
I think most projected line-ups posted here have the Sharks signing a top-6 forward in FA. Who is the best fit?

Looking at some traditional and advanced stats, Danodov does not seem impressive at all at evens. Even the lower tier forwards, such as Haula and Namestnikov, seem like candidate for overpays. I like Toffoli a lot as a second line scorer, but his speed scares me.

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
I think most projected line-ups posted here have the Sharks signing a top-6 forward in FA. Who is the best fit?

Looking at some traditional and advanced stats, Danodov does not seem impressive at all at evens. Even the lower tier forwards, such as Haula and Namestnikov, seem like candidate for overpays. I like Toffoli a lot as a second line scorer, but his speed scares me.
I think a trade is more likely, someone like Killorn fits the bill. No doubt there will be other options but I dont know who right now

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Not a huge fan of Gourde, hes overpaid for the offense he brings. Still he could be a decent middle six player, and maybe it will be would be a good deal, but I wouldnt pay much for him like I would Killorn.
Gourde was really good last season because of his line mates. This season he really hasn’t had top quality line mates the way he did last season. Killorn is the same as the first sentence but just take out last season. Killorn reminds me of Kassian, Blais, Virtanen, Ritchie, Hintz, Donskoi, Labanc, etc. basically good players to be the third wheel on a line not line drivers. Gourde isn’t a full line driver but definitely better than Killorn. Obviously those players have differing skill levels and different degrees to third wheels, but my point is that I think Gourde gives us more flexibility both positionally and line wise than Killorn.

boredatwork

Oct 7, 2013
I think Tampa gets a lot of hype, but I feel their goaltending bails out poor defensive and mediocre possession play. Their top players draw all the attention of the opposition. I fear that a second or lower line Tampa forward may not be all that effective outside of that line-up.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
I think Tampa gets a lot of hype, but I feel their goaltending bails out poor defensive and mediocre possession play. Their top players draw all the attention of the opposition. I fear that a second or lower line Tampa forward may not be all that effective outside of that line-up.
So basically you’re saying you wouldn’t want any forward from that team outside of Kucherov, Stamkos, or Point.

Groo

May 11, 2013
surfingarippleofevil

Anyone agree that this is rock bottom for the franchise?

Last year felt like DW tried to hit it big on a parlay, it blew up in his face and now he's at the ATM looking at a $87 balance and figuring out how to dig himself out of this hole.

No, we've got a long way to go for that. But were on our way

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
Tampa forwards like Johnson, Gourde, and Killorn are good players but not worth 5M/AAV for 3-5 more years. Better ways to utilize that cap space. I think acquiring any one of those three would be putting ourselves in another Boedker situation. Hard pass imo

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
Tampa forwards like Johnson, Gourde, and Killorn are good players but not worth 5M/AAV for 3-5 more years. Better ways to utilize that cap space. I think acquiring any one of those three would be putting ourselves in another Boedker situation. Hard pass imo
I don’t see any better options really. Any free agent will be a much worse contract, and there isn’t a ton of guys that teams are willing to move that have smaller contracts but can pull the same numbers. I think your talking about a Labanc esc player, but think about how much we want for him

Reactions: Gecklund

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
I don’t see any better options really. Any free agent will be a much worse contract, and there isn’t a ton of guys that teams are willing to move that have smaller contracts but can pull the same numbers. I think your talking about a Labanc esc player, but think about how much we want for him

Who knows what really is available on the trade market though....Also, it’s better to just stand pat rather than giving up futures for a 5MM/yr forward that currently puts up 45-50pts. Adding a bad contract with multiple years of term remaining could prevent DW from making the right trade or signing when it becomes available.

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
Who knows what really is available on the trade market though....Also, it’s better to just stand pat rather than giving up futures for a 5MM/yr forward that currently puts up 45-50pts. Adding a bad contract with multiple years of term remaining could prevent DW from making the right trade or signing when it becomes available.
Personally I don’t think Doug will be here any longer if he doesn’t acquire a forward this offseason.

Erep

Jul 17, 2019
Personally I don’t think Doug will be here any longer if he doesn’t acquire a forward this offseason.
He will be here for at least 3, even if the team doesn't win 30 games a season.

He has kept the team competitive for so much longer than is supposed to be possible, because of how the league is designed. He will get a chance to guide a rebuild if the team decides it is time to do that, and they haven't even gotten to that point yet.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sandisfan

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

He has kept the team competitive for so much longer than is supposed to be possible, because of how the league is designed. He will get a change to guide a rebuild if the team decides it is time to do that, and they haven't even gotten to that point yet.

I think if the Sharks miss the playoffs again next year, DW is canned no matter what his accomplishments were.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA

Tampa is top-5 in 5V5 score/venue adjusted CF% and xGF% over the past 3 years...

sharkbyte

May 10, 2020
Orange, CA

He has kept the team competitive for so much longer than is supposed to be possible, because of how the league is designed. He will get a change to guide a rebuild if the team decides it is time to do that, and they haven't even gotten to that point yet.

Hasso's vote of confidence more or less tells me DW needs to get the team back on track this upcoming year. I'd be surprised if he's brought back for 2021-2022 if the team flops next year

Reactions: themelkman

boredatwork

Oct 7, 2013
Tampa is top-5 in 5V5 score/venue adjusted CF% and xGF% over the past 3 years...

I could be wrong, but other than Killorn, I'm not sure that Gourde, Johnson, or Palat are necessarily going to improve this team in terms of scoring or possession by themselves. I see Tampa as a sum of their parts and their forward depth killing opponents. I would not mind any of these guys. They would likely find success with Hertl. However, I think the Sharks would need to add one of them and a decent UFA to build the depth for success.

Currently, I do not see Couture as a play driver. He needs his wingers to carry him and that is a big problem for the Sharks. If Meier is with Couture, who is the other ideal winger?

I will stand by the fact that I think Toffoli is a safe bet in FA in terms of being affordable and being worth a contract. I don't know if his lack of speed helps Couture or plays with Hertl though.

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
I could be wrong, but other than Killorn, I'm not sure that Gourde, Johnson, or Palat are necessarily going to improve this team in terms of scoring or possession by themselves. I see Tampa as a sum of their parts and their forward depth killing opponents. I would not mind any of these guys. They would likely find success with Hertl. However, I think the Sharks would need to add one of them and a decent UFA to build the depth for success.

Currently, I do not see Couture as a play driver. He needs his wingers to carry him and that is a big problem for the Sharks. If Meier is with Couture, who is the other ideal winger?

I will stand by the fact that I think Toffoli is a safe bet in FA in terms of being affordable and being worth a contract. I don't know if his lack of speed helps Couture or plays with Hertl though.
Palat would certainly help. I see him as the best of the bunch. I take him over Killorn. I think he would be effective on Hertls wing

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017

Anyone agree that this is rock bottom for the franchise?

Last year felt like DW tried to hit it big on a parlay, it blew up in his face and now he's at the ATM looking at a $87 balance and figuring out how to dig himself out of this hole.

lol! I guess if you've only watched them for the last decade or so. Those of us who started from the birth of the Sharks know what rock bottom really looks like.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad