Speculation: 2019-2020 Sharks Roster Discussion Part 11 - Post TDL

Status
Not open for further replies.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
We can now confirm the long-time rumor that the Sharks offered Jeff Finger a contract in 2008.

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
Oh man, Eichel with some honest comments about continuous frustration in Buffalo, DW better get that phone ready.

I know it's unlikely, but one can dream. Another year or two of missing the playoffs and he's gone

Reactions: Sandisfan

Levie

Mar 15, 2011
Oh man, Eichel with some honest comments about continuous frustration in Buffalo, DW better get that phone ready.

I know it's unlikely, but one can dream. Another year or two of missing the playoffs and he's gone
Getting eichel would be a very DW move. Hopefully that doesn't also mean us losing a lottery pick.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011

They really can not build anything resembling depth at all. Just looking at capfriendly and their defense looks alright to promising. And then they have like 5 forwards

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
What do we think a deal for Eichel would look like?

Labanc+Merkley+TBL1st+21 1st? Obviously we’d have to send some cap back too but I don’t think we’d even have the pieces for an elite young center signed long term

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
Agreed, I'd prefer to move a guy from a tier between Labanc and Meier/Hertl but that's basically just Couture and Kane and I don't think either of those guys are very likely options.
A perfect scenario is Couture + for Eichel. Couture would likely be fine going there, he loves Buffalo teams. Sharks have likely extracted the best of what Couture can bring and it likely isn't as high as Eichel can bring. If they could work it around eichel and one of their mid level D-men and the Sharks give up Couture and either Burns or Vlasic that would set the Sharks back on the path they need to be on. Obviously other pieces or picks would need to be involved to even the value. If they give up burns though Merk can't be part of the deal.

Mafoofoo

Jawesome
Jul 3, 2010
Laguna Beach
A perfect scenario is Couture + for Eichel. Couture would likely be fine going there, he loves Buffalo teams. Sharks have likely extracted the best of what Couture can bring and it likely isn't as high as Eichel can bring. If they could work it around eichel and one of their mid level D-men and the Sharks give up Couture and either Burns or Vlasic that would set the Sharks back on the path they need to be on. Obviously other pieces or picks would need to be involved to even the value. If they give up burns though Merk can't be part of the deal.

Couture + Vlasic + Nick Bosa from the 49ers for Eichel.

I think the Pegula's would authorize the trade.

Nolan11

Mar 5, 2013

So Couture + Burns for Eichel + Colin Miller?

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
So Couture + Burns for Eichel + Colin Miller?
I have no idea what it would take to make it work value wise but due to ages of the players there likely has to be a high pick or 2 going back to the Sabres. I'm betting at least a 1st since the Sharks have no high end prospects they can part with. Couture is almost 10 yers older than Eichel. But the Sabres getting Couture (sold as a proven playoff stud) and Burns makes them a better team IMO than just having Eichel short term and moves them closer to playoffs. The Sharks get out from under 2 contracts that are going to be hard on the back end. In this theoretical dream world I envision the Sharks having to retain a little on Burns to make it palatable. Maybe an easier way is to move Burns or Vlasic separately, them move Hertl + for Eichel. Closer in age, both stud centers (obviously different) and the Sharks can add a 1st plus other picks and prospects (not merk) to make it happen. It won't be like the EK65 though though, whoever gets Eichel is going to feel the hurt in what they give up. Dude is only 23 and clearly a stud. Ideally though if the Sharks can come out of it with Eichel, Meier, Hertl, Kane, ek65, Ferraro, Merk, Simek... That's a pretty solid core IMO. Jones finding his game or the addition of competent goalie and that team with moderate contributions from the rest of the roster should be at least a playoff team.

Reactions: Nolan11

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
I have no idea what it would take to make it work value wise but due to ages of the players there likely has to be a high pick or 2 going back to the Sabres. I'm betting at least a 1st since the Sharks have no high end prospects they can part with. Couture is almost 10 yers older than Eichel. But the Sabres getting Couture (sold as a proven playoff stud) and Burns makes them a better team IMO than just having Eichel short term and moves them closer to playoffs. The Sharks get out from under 2 contracts that are going to be hard on the back end. In this theoretical dream world I envision the Sharks having to retain a little on Burns to make it palatable. Maybe an easier way is to move Burns or Vlasic separately, them move Hertl + for Eichel. Closer in age, both stud centers (obviously different) and the Sharks can add a 1st plus other picks and prospects (not merk) to make it happen. It won't be like the EK65 though though, whoever gets Eichel is going to feel the hurt in what they give up. Dude is only 23 and clearly a stud. Ideally though if the Sharks can come out of it with Eichel, Meier, Hertl, Kane, ek65, Ferraro, Merk, Simek... That's a pretty solid core IMO. Jones finding his game or the addition of competent goalie and that team with moderate contributions from the rest of the roster should be at least a playoff team.

I would not do the trade if it was couture/burns. Would do it in a heartbeat if it was couture/vlasic though.

Burns still has positives to his game now and probably for the next 3 or so years. Vlasic is done.

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
I would not do the trade if it was couture/burns. Would do it in a heartbeat if it was couture/vlasic though.

Burns still has positives to his game now and probably for the next 3 or so years. Vlasic is done.

What?! Yeah Burns has his game right now but is 35 years old. I love Couture and Burns but Eichel is a 23 year old elite 1C not even at his peak yet. Logan’s career high in points is 70 in 11 seasons and Eichel has surpassed that in his last two seasons ( on pace for 94 this season). If you can come out of this cap positive, younger, and with the best asset in the deal you don’t hesitate. Vlasic is done, so why would Buffalo want a done defenseman on a terrible contract for their franchise player? They’re going to ask for our best young pieces.
I doubt Burns or Vlasic waive for Buffalo though so it’s a moot point.

We’d have to give up a lot to get Jack and I really don’t think we have the assets to pull it off unless it’s Timo or Hertl+++ going the other way. I think the cap situation makes this even less feasible unless Doug can unload Vlasic/Burns in another deal.

Reactions: BigDmitriy

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017

Sorry man if you can get a 23 year old elite stud #1 center you give up whatever is required. I'd give up Meier, Merk, and Couture if it took that. Love burns but better to dump him early than late.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
What?! Yeah Burns has his game right now but is 35 years old. I love Couture and Burns but Eichel is a 23 year old elite 1C not even at his peak yet. Logan’s career high in points is 70 in 11 seasons and Eichel has surpassed that in his last two seasons ( on pace for 94 this season). If you can come out of this cap positive, younger, and with the best asset in the deal you don’t hesitate. Vlasic is done, so why would Buffalo want a done defenseman on a terrible contract for their franchise player? They’re going to ask for our best young pieces.
I doubt Burns or Vlasic waive for Buffalo though so it’s a moot point.

We’d have to give up a lot to get Jack and I really don’t think we have the assets to pull it off unless it’s Timo or Hertl+++ going the other way. I think the cap situation makes this even less feasible unless Doug can unload Vlasic/Burns in another deal.

I agree that it will take a lot but this kind a phrase really bears no weight with DW. He'll throw in B and C level prospects in addition to the couple of 1sts until Buffalo has no choice. Honestly though I would expect it to take someone like Couture to fill the immediate hole, Merk, a 1st and another 1st or 2nd or something on condition as well as one or 2 junk prospects. Sharks have a few first round picks to play with now so anything is possible.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Sorry man if you can get a 23 year old elite stud #1 center you give up whatever is required. I'd give up Meier, Merk, and Couture if it took that. Love burns but better to dump him early than late.
I wouldn’t move Meier or Hertl. Eichel would be unsettled and yes he’s worth more than both of them still but I wouldn’t move our two young elite pieces. If they want prospects/picks they can have those but Labanc would be the best young forward I would give up.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
I wouldn’t move Meier or Hertl. Eichel would be unsettled and yes he’s worth more than both of them still but I wouldn’t move our two young elite pieces. If they want prospects/picks they can have those but Labanc would be the best young forward I would give up.
Its a good thing you're not GM then. That kind of a decision makes or breaks a franchise. Every GM in the NHL jumps at that deal. Eichel is better than both. Hertl is injury prone. Very injury prone. Meier had one very good season when everyone else had a good season. Not unlike Labanc, but obviously Meier is a more important player. It's not unlike saying you wouldn't trade Sturm and Stuart for Jumbo. If you can change the course of a franchise for the better with one trade you do it. The way these almost always work is the team that gets the better player wins the trade. Of course hind sight has to confirm that as well. In the Lindros trade Philly won initially because at the time they received the better player. Over time though I believe the Avs (Nords) received the better player in Forsesberg. Getting Ricci + though made it a slam dunk. Still one of the dumbest trades in NHL history. So if Meier ends up being better than Eichel (doubtful) then thats a tough trade. So far it's unlikely though. For the Sharks to get eichel it'll take at least one young important player going back the other way. But DW is a witch, maybe he convinces Buff that Chemeleski is a young important player...:laugh:

Last edited:

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Its a good thing you're not GM then. That kind of a decision makes or breaks a franchise. Every GM in the NHL jumps at that deal. Eichel is better than both. Hertl is injury prone. Very injury prone. Meier had one very good season when everyone else had a good season. Not unlike Labanc, but obviously Meier is a more important player. It's not unlike saying you wouldn't trade Sturm and Stuart for Jumbo. If you can change the course of a franchise for the better with one trade you do it. The way these almost always work is the team that gets the better player wins the trade. Of course hind sight has to confirm that as well. In the Lindros trade Philly won initially because at the time they received the better player. Over time though I believe the Avs (Nords) received the better player in Forsesberg. Getting Ricci + though made it a slam dunk. Still one of the dumbest trades in NHL history. So if Meier ends up being better than Eichel (doubtful) then thats a tough trade. So far it's unlikely though. For the Sharks to get eichel it'll take at least one young important player going back the other way. But DW is a witch, maybe he convinces Buff that Chemeleski is a young important player...:laugh:
Hertl isn’t injury prone. He had one injury that was a cheap shot. Never said Eichel wasn’t better. In fact I think I said specifically that he was. You’re spouting a bunch of nonsense and refusing to mention what I said. I specifically said that Eichel is worth more than both but he would be unsettled. Moving them just makes us the west coast sabres with a worse future.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
Hertl is not "young" at this point. He will be 27 in November (we share the same bday but I am a year older). He is what he is as a player at this point. Love the guy and don't want to move him, but he is a 1st line winger (with a good center) and a 2nd line center. Would rather move Couture over Hertl, but for Eichel I am putting all hands on deck and willing to do what needs to get done to get him. Chances for guys like Eichel come around infrequently. Obviously would prefer a ROR situation where you give up a ton of spare parts, but would assume Buffalo is not stupid enough to do that again.

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011

Neither Hertl or Meier are elite. Eichel is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad