Speculation: 2019-2020 Sharks Roster Discussion Part 11 - Post TDL

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Not really the right thread, but I honestly don't know where else to put it and I don't want to make a new thread:

If you're starved for hockey, the Vancouver Giants YT channel is streaming the 2007 Memorial Cup final featuring the Medicine Hat Tigers and one-time Shark David Schlemko facing the hometown Giants featuring a 15-year-old Evander Kane and former Sharks prospect Tyson Sexsmith starting in net.

There's also the glory of one of the best names of all time: Wacey Rabbit.

The gae also features other then-future NHLers Milan Lucic, Cody Franson, California-native Jon Blum, Brett Festerling, Craig Cunningham, Brenden Mikkelson, Spencer Machacek, Lance Bouma, Michal Repik, James Wright, Kris Russell, Derek Dorsett, Darren Helm, and Tyler Ennis

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
Hertl isn’t injury prone. He had one injury that was a cheap shot. Never said Eichel wasn’t better. In fact I think I said specifically that he was. You’re spouting a bunch of nonsense and refusing to mention what I said. I specifically said that Eichel is worth more than both but he would be unsettled. Moving them just makes us the west coast sabres with a worse future.
What are you talking about? He's on his 3th or 4th knee operation (maybe more?), 2 of them being major all before 27. "unsettle". what does that even mean and how can you make that claim? Not sure why you're getting pissy... How did you turn this into 2 elite young pieces..? Maybe I mistyped before but I don't think anyone suggested Hertl AND Meier. But just to be clear, neither Hertl, Meier, Couture (regular season), and Merkley are elite. So please let me know who you think the sharks are giving up that are young and elite.

As far as the west coast Sabers, not even close. Sharks have plenty of talent after a trade and likely cap space to add.

Sharks don't have the horses to make a trade for Eichel. If they could the team would be gutted
He supposedly wants out of Buffalo because he's tired of losing.
of course they do. He'll have to move west so Buff doesn't have to play him more than once a year at home and since he's made it obvious he's unhappy, teams will be able to offer less than if it were behind the scenes.

Like I said I realize that. Moving Hertl or Meier for him just makes us West Coast Sabres. Probably worse.
This is just wrong. Unless Eichel is planning to wear his Sabres jersey as a Shark, then it's just a no.

Last edited:

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
Are you sure? We’d then have at most 4 good forwards (probably less) all aging except Eichel and we’d still have a train wreck in net and okay D depth. Literally Buffalo but worse.

If you move one or the other and not both, undeniably yes. Undeniably.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
If you move one or the other and not both, undeniably yes. Undeniably.
Even if we move one. We got Kane, Couture, Eichel, and Hertl/Meier as definite top 6 forwards. Right now Buffalo has Skinner, Eichel, Reinhart, Olofsson, and Johansson. We might have slightly better talent at forward with him (than Buffalo) but they have better D and a better G. Also they are 25th in the league and we are trying to compare to them.

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
Even if we move one. We got Kane, Couture, Eichel, and Hertl/Meier as definite top 6 forwards. Right now Buffalo has Skinner, Eichel, Reinhart, Olofsson, and Johansson. We might have slightly better talent at forward with him (than Buffalo) but they have better D and a better G. Also they are 25th in the league and we are trying to compare to them.

Buffalo does not have a better D core than SJ.. lol. Also if you’re going to throw Johansson and Skinner after the years they had then throw in Jumbo and Labanc on the sharks side. Outside of Dahlin, Eichel has no all-star caliber talent around him.. not the case in SJ.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
Hertl is not "young" at this point. He will be 27 in November (we share the same bday but I am a year older). He is what he is as a player at this point. Love the guy and don't want to move him, but he is a 1st line winger (with a good center) and a 2nd line center. Would rather move Couture over Hertl, but for Eichel I am putting all hands on deck and willing to do what needs to get done to get him. Chances for guys like Eichel come around infrequently. Obviously would prefer a ROR situation where you give up a ton of spare parts, but would assume Buffalo is not stupid enough to do that again.
My only disagreement with this is that year before last Hertl looked like a #1 center. Sure, not elite but he was a #1 center on most teams in the league that season. Any real help on the wings at certain points during the season and he likely gets to 80 or 85 points. If the Sharks could roll Hertl #2 (hope he stays healthy) and Eichel #1, they would be dangerous down the center, assuming they add at least one more decent winger. Of course we have to gamble again on young wingers to fill in but I'm more confident next season that some will at least be serviceable now that they've had a little pro experience.

Are you sure? We’d then have at most 4 good forwards (probably less) all aging except Eichel and we’d still have a train wreck in net and okay D depth. Literally Buffalo but worse.
So you think that's the only move they would make then? That's just not reasonable.

Buffalo does not have a better D core than SJ.. lol. Also if you’re going to throw Johansson and Skinner after the years they had then throw in Jumbo and Labanc on the sharks side. Outside of Dahlin, Eichel has no all-star caliber talent around him.. not the case in SJ.
:nod::nod::nod:

Reactions: Groo

spintops

Sep 13, 2013
Hertl is not "young" at this point. He will be 27 in November (we share the same bday but I am a year older). He is what he is as a player at this point. Love the guy and don't want to move him, but he is a 1st line winger (with a good center) and a 2nd line center. Would rather move Couture over Hertl, but for Eichel I am putting all hands on deck and willing to do what needs to get done to get him. Chances for guys like Eichel come around infrequently. Obviously would prefer a ROR situation where you give up a ton of spare parts, but would assume Buffalo is not stupid enough to do that again.
Thanks for making me feel old, Hertl was 19 like 3 days ago..

Reactions: Groo and Sandisfan

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
There aren’t any all star caliber talent in SJ either.... EK is great but Buffalo has Dahlin. Burns is great but Risto is pretty similar (good offensively not great defensively). Vlasic is just a tire fire. Montour, Miller, McCabe, and Joker (can’t remember how to spell his name) is a better group than Ferraro Simek and whatever 6D is flavor of this week.

Eichel is obviously Eichel. Skinner and Kane are pretty similar (except Kane did have a better season this season, but Skinner was miles better last season). Obviously Couture is better than Reinhart and Hertl/Meier are better than Olofsson/Johansson but both of them are way better than whoever is next up on the Sharks (Labanc/Thornton/who?). Sharks don’t have the pieces for Eichel anyway.

On an unrelated note, what do you guys think of giving Sean Day a tryout? He was a first round talent that dropped to the 5th round (where he was picked by NYR) because of injury. He’s not the brightest player but could be really good AHL depth and we don’t have many good D prospects outside of Merkley.

Eklund72

Apr 8, 2007
Aside from the other statements that are wrong in that ^ post, Ristolainen is not even comparable to Burns.

Last edited:
Reactions: Patty Ice

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
There aren’t any all star caliber talent in SJ either.... EK is great but Buffalo has Dahlin. Burns is great but Risto is pretty similar (good offensively not great defensively). Vlasic is just a tire fire. Montour, Miller, McCabe, and Joker (can’t remember how to spell his name) is a better group than Ferraro Simek and whatever 6D is flavor of this week.

Eichel is obviously Eichel. Skinner and Kane are pretty similar (except Kane did have a better season this season, but Skinner was miles better last season). Obviously Couture is better than Reinhart and Hertl/Meier are better than Olofsson/Johansson but both of them are way better than whoever is next up on the Sharks (Labanc/Thornton/who?). Sharks don’t have the pieces for Eichel anyway.

On an unrelated note, what do you guys think of giving Sean Day a tryout? He was a first round talent that dropped to the 5th round (where he was picked by NYR) because of injury. He’s not the brightest player but could be really good AHL depth and we don’t have many good D prospects outside of Merkley.

Being similiar means nothing when 1 player is 2 tiers above the other.

Polak and vlasic are similiar players also. Guess we should of kept polak and traded vlasic because hey they are similiar players.

Reactions: Groo and Sandisfan

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Being similiar means nothing when 1 player is 2 tiers above the other.

Polak and vlasic are similiar players also. Guess we should of kept polak and traded vlasic because hey they are similiar players.
Would have saved us millions upon millions in cap space and probably would have shown we don’t have a chance at the cup with the way this current team is built and we would probably have a lottery pick this season because we wouldn’t have traded for EK, giving us more cap space and Lafreniere along with the possibility of Raty or two elite young players like Eichel.

sharski

Jun 4, 2012

Anyone agree that this is rock bottom for the franchise?

Last year felt like DW tried to hit it big on a parlay, it blew up in his face and now he's at the ATM looking at a $87 balance and figuring out how to dig himself out of this hole.

Reactions: themelkman

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta

Last year felt like DW tried to hit it big on a parlay, it blew up in his face and now he's at the ATM looking at a $87 balance and figuring out how to dig himself out of this hole.

I agree with that but I’m not sure Doug is stressing at al. He’s doing lots of interviews, making it clear he’s not worried at all. He’s done it before he can probably do it again

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009

DW sounds like he’s going to double down. In interviews he’s done recently, he has stated no rebuild is coming and that he’s focused on getting this team back into the playoffs next season. I think he realizes that with all of the long term extensions he’s handed out, especially the latest one to Karlsson that a rebuild isn’t an option.

Erep

Jul 17, 2019
DW sounds like he’s going to double down. In interviews he’s done recently, he has stated no rebuild is coming and that he’s focused on getting this team back into the playoffs next season. I think he realizes that with all of the long term extensions he’s handed out, especially the latest one to Karlsson that a rebuild isn’t an option.
And he has been doing that for a decade, and it hasn't failed yet.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
I agree with that but I’m not sure Doug is stressing at al. He’s doing lots of interviews, making it clear he’s not worried at all. He’s done it before he can probably do it again
I agree that he is as good as any at rebounding on the fly. I also think a lot of his demeanor is also just him not wanting to tip his hand or give other teams leverage. Stay cool and calm and go about your business as usual. I think the haste and relative close mindedness following the reverse sweep against LA is the blueprint of how not to act publicly in these situations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->