Speculation: 2019-2020 Sharks Roster Discussion Part 11 - Post TDL

Status
Not open for further replies.

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
Eichel is 7 years younger than Karlsson and is signed to a very reasonable contract for seven more years (assuming the cap continues to trend up after COVID-19). Karlsson was on the last year of his deal and refused to sign an extension at the time of the trade which really hurt his trade value. Huge difference, Buffalo would have significantly more leverage if they dealt Eichel. If Eichel cost us Hertl, Merkley, and a 1st then you find a way to clear cap and pull the trigger.
The only way it takes hertl and Timo and a 1st is because hertl is gimpy and Timo looked like trash most of last season.

Your trade of hertl merks and a 1st though is probably realistic

Eklund72

Apr 8, 2007
If karlsson did not need hertl a 1st and top prospect (sharks top prospect), then no way in heck does eichel get that.

As previously stated Eichel is 7 years younger and is not a UFA.

You wouldn’t do Eichel for Hertl, a 1st and Merkley? I sure would considering Hertls injuries

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
As previously stated Eichel is 7 years younger and is not a UFA.

You wouldn’t do Eichel for Hertl, a 1st and Merkley? I sure would considering Hertls injuries
Knowing DW he gets them to take a prospect centerman instead of the 1st or Merkley. Frankly I see DW loading up on quantity over giving up Merkley but if that's what takes to get it done, you do that deal every day of the week. Honestly though If you could swap Hertl for Couture in that deal I would like it better. Hertl and Eichel as your top 2 centers sounds like a the makings of a winner to me.

If DW believed this he would’ve bought out Vlasic and kept Dillon
What's with the Vlasic love? You've watched his play these last 2 years right? He's been out played by numbers roster players both years. He was miraculously better in the playoffs last season but he benefitted from Burns turning in one of his better defensive performances as defenseman in the playoffs. Vlasic is a 3rd pair d-man even with the roster as is. Can't have a 7mil player on the 3rd pair. He's an Albatros and they have to eject him asap no matter what it takes. And yes, Dillon was better than Vlasic the last 2 season easily. If they can jettison Vlasic and resign Dillon for 4mil I would jump all over that. I think the UFA market is going to be a lot slower than usual considering the financials of the teams.
I think I'd do that trade in a heartbeat if that was Tampa's first...
It's Eichel. If it only took 3 assets, only one roster player, you pretty much have to do the deal.

Last edited:
Reactions: BigDmitriy

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Yup. You could make the argument that we traded our best DFD away when we traded Braun, then Dillon became our best DFD, then we traded our best DFD again.

So now every one is changing there minds that it was vlasic that was dragging that pairing down and not braun? Like it was for 3 seasons here?

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
So now every one is changing there minds that it was vlasic that was dragging that pairing down and not braun? Like it was for 3 seasons here?

Guys waver in performance from year to year. Strictly speaking from the defensive side of things, Vlasic was much better in 2017-2018, and Braun was much better in 2018-2019.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
I know that I have never thought he was our best defenseman

He’s our best defensive defenseman

No no he is not, i will repeat he is at best 3rd could be said also 4th on the current team. And right up to the trade deadline he was 4th or 5th on the team in terms of just defense.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
It's been a long time since Vlasic has been a stabilizing defensive presence. Between the eye test and the advanced stats, there's not a whole lot you can point to and say that Vlasic excels in it. He really doesnt add much enjoyment to my viewing experience nowadays.

Reactions: themelkman

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco
It's been a long time since Vlasic has been a stabilizing defensive presence. Between the eye test and the advanced stats, there's not a whole lot you can point to and say that Vlasic excels in it. He really doesnt add much enjoyment to my viewing experience nowadays.

At least we get the sad attempts at Marc Edouard Orr. Only enjoyment I got from Braun was his gumby-like ability.

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
was thinking a bit about the offense from last season to this season, and it gave me some promise about next season.

I've held a hard and true stance that letting Pavelski walk was a good idea, and i still feel that way, but I think I underestimated how much his departure affected the offense. But i don't mean that Pavelski was the key to our offense, but rather that his elite proficiency around the net was the driving force behind our offensive system, and the coaching staff didnt adapt well to him leaving.

Pavs had 38 goals in 18/19, and i think something like 30 of them were tips or rebounds. The thing about tip and rebound goals is that they aren't typically products of offensive dominance, but can come from seemingly innocuous plays. Anecdotally, Pavs scored a lot of "big" goals from a tip or rebound when it seemed like the offense was stagnant. Goals like that change the course of a game, and we missed out big time on those types of goals (game 7 Avs series comes to mind).

I get the feeling that next season the team will be able to be trained in a new offensive system that plays to the strengths of the team - a speedier, transition game with our best players like Karlsson, Kane and Meier shining - instead of one that tries to, as someone put it in a different thread, jam square pegs in round holes.

Reactions: themelkman

Nolan11

Mar 5, 2013
At least we get the sad attempts at Marc Edouard Orr. Only enjoyment I got from Braun was his gumby-like ability.

Your ME Orr reference kinda sums up my thoughts on Vlasic's decline. Coaching has been asking him to play a style ill suited to his actual strengths. IMO, Vlasic had been elite shut down defenseman in his prime. Last few years, he has been asked to do more offense or has been allowed to try more things and it hasn't been working.

He looks bored and unengaged. I believe if a good coach comes in and gets through to him, Vlasic will rebound. (Emphasize his strengths with a different system, light a fire under him, whatever). Vlasic's vision and hockey iq had been there in the past, he just needs to use that in games again.

boredatwork

Oct 7, 2013
I think by the eye test that both Vlasic and Braun are above average in zone defenders with their sticks and they wall of defenders quite well. Their main struggles, in my opinion, is that their breakout passes are below average, they cede the blue line to easily, and their offense is non-existent. They still look passable in their own zone because they are there all the time.

sharkbyte

May 10, 2020
Orange, CA
Little off topic but apparently it was 8 years ago today pavelski and marleau finished a 5 game series with a combined 0 goals, 0 assists and a -4.

That was such a weird year. We underperformed the entire year, finished 7th in the West, won one playoff game and DW brought in guys like Winchester and Vandermeer and Colin White for reasons I have never understood, unless someone is able to give me a good explanation.

Also, re: that Jumbo mic'd up video, is he referring to Labanc when he yells City? Is that their nickname for him? If so that's pretty funny lol

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California
That was such a weird year. We underperformed the entire year, finished 7th in the West, won one playoff game and DW brought in guys like Winchester and Vandermeer and Colin White for reasons I have never understood, unless someone is able to give me a good explanation.

Also, re: that Jumbo mic'd up video, is he referring to Labanc when he yells City? Is that their nickname for him? If so that's pretty funny lol

The early 2010s were basically Doug's peak of signing terrible washed-up Cup-winning veterans.

Reactions: Desert Eagle
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad