Speculation: 2019-2020 Sharks Roster Discussion, part три (3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
Based on comparable players on the market, he could have received more.

I just checked, and saw you are correct. For some reason I thought the Sharks offered him a 1-year contract.

Seriously. The fact that we were in on him is not encouraging. Looks like I was wrong.
It's a one year stopgap while they work on other things. He's a former Hart trophy winner who might still have one good year left. It was worth checking out.

Reactions: SharksAddict

SharksAddict

Dec 21, 2008
It's a one year stopgap while they work on other things. He's a former Hart trophy winner who might still have one good year left. It was worth checking out.

And a bargain price at that. One of those low risk high reward moves.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Currently our roster for next year is going to be without:

Pavelski
Nyquist
Donskoi
Braun

Realistically I do not see how we add more than a top-6 F, either via trade or UFA.

Have to think DW has his hands in multiple pies right now.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA

I guess so. It's also possible that they didn't offer more than $1M plus performance bonuses.

If we're targeting a UFA around that price range, I would have much rather looked into somebody like Bellemare, Acciari, or Tanev. (Although Tanev is probably a bit too pricey)

Friday

Apr 25, 2014
LA

Pavelski
Nyquist
Donskoi
Braun

Realistically I do not see how we add more than a top-6 F, either via trade or UFA.

Thats a lot of talent leaving

KirbyDots

May 10, 2011

Pavelski
Nyquist
Donskoi
Braun

There are cheap top 6 options, but only via trade. I'd love to miraculously be proved wrong but I don't see any way we can afford Lee or the like, maybe Nyquist but I think he wants more term than we're willing to give. I think/hope DW wants Kreider and I don't believe the reports he wouldn't waive out west, I think he'd waive for a contender.

Friday

Apr 25, 2014
LA
Would Ferland be considered a big deal? I guess I don't know what big deal means? :)

Also, the trade thing is definitely a lot of us are thinking. Only way to add to a depleted roster from last year.

Yeah. We got hit by injuries in the absolute worst year .. :\

Thats basically losing a whole 2nd line

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
Based on comparable players on the market, he could have received more.

like who?

I just checked, and saw you are correct. For some reason I thought the Sharks offered him a 1-year contract.
they never got to the point of an offer after boyle said he wanted 2 years. slightly different than pavs but it seems like term is always going to be the sticking point.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010

Pavelski
Nyquist
Donskoi
Braun

did nyquist sign somewhere else? he could potentially be back no?

KirbyDots

May 10, 2011
Would Ferland be considered a big deal? I guess I don't know what big deal means? :)

Also, the trade thing is definitely a lot of us are thinking. Only way to add to a depleted roster from last year.

Yeah. We got hit by injuries in the absolute worst year .. :\
Ferland is a medium sized option, someone we could reasonably fit but not an earthshaking move by any means. I wouldn't mind him but would still want DW to bring in something more.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
What trade options do you guys see besides Kreider?

Ehlers, Marchessault, Gusev are the other 3 that I've heard are available and yes, I realize the latter two are pipe dreams. There are also players like Kyle Connor and Mitch Marner available for offer sheets. There's also always a few guys out there whose names you don't hear until they've been traded. Ehlers is for sure my top target.

KirbyDots

May 10, 2011
Ehlers, Marchessault, Gusev are the other 3 that I've heard are available and yes, I realize the latter two are pipe dreams. There are also players like Kyle Connor and Mitch Marner available for offer sheets. There's also always a few guys out there whose names you don't hear until they've been traded. Ehlers is for sure my top target.
Ehlers is the only one of those that might be realistic and I think it's a long shot.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Ferland is a medium sized option, someone we could reasonably fit but not an earthshaking move by any means. I wouldn't mind him but would still want DW to bring in something more.

I think our best way forward this season has to be acquiring a medium-deal for a F in UFA and another F in a trade. Ideally one of those is a true top-6 F (trade) and the other is a top-9 (UFA).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00