Speculation: 2019-2020 Sharks Roster Discussion, part три (3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SharksAddict

Dec 21, 2008
Ehlers, Marchessault, Gusev are the other 3 that I've heard are available and yes, I realize the latter two are pipe dreams. There are also players like Kyle Connor and Mitch Marner available for offer sheets. There's also always a few guys out there whose names you don't hear until they've been traded. Ehlers is for sure my top target.

Two biggest hurdles for Ehlers: 1) Would WPG deal him to a western foe? 2) Is DW willing to take on another fairly large long-term deal? $6M per pushes our budget to probably the max unless they move Dillon. Suppose Dillon could be part of the return to WPG.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Ehlers is the only one of those that might be realistic and I think it's a long shot.

I agree that the Vegas guys are unrealistic but their names did come up in rumors from verified sources. Pacioretty did as well. If you're open to centers, Kadri's name has come up and so has Paul Stastny's.

Other names will come up as time progresses.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California

God, maybe I dreamt this. I swear I saw it from a real source on twitter but now I don’t see it.

NEVERMIND!

I have to imagine we’re making some moves? Otherwise, what’s this team going to be?

Meier - Couture - Labanc
Kane - Hertl - Chechkovich
Marleau - Joe - Sorenson
Karlsson - Goodrow - Radil

...I meaaaan... it’s not terrible but it’s not very good. And any injury to a forward and we’re screwed.

I have to imagine Doug’s looking to trade for a younger guy (Ehlers makes a lot of sense to me) to shore up the forward troops.

KirbyDots

May 10, 2011
I think our best way forward this season has to be acquiring a medium-deal for a F in UFA and another F in a trade. Ideally one of those is a true top-6 F (trade) and the other is a top-9 (UFA).
Exactly what I was thinking. I'd also like to see one of the prospects make the team, hopefully in the top 9. Our depth was seriously hurt by the cap situation.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Two biggest hurdles for Ehlers: 1) Would WPG deal him to a western foe? 2) Is DW willing to take on another fairly large long-term deal? $6M per pushes our budget to probably the max unless they move Dillon. Suppose Dillon could be part of the return to WPG.
Ehlers is 23. That long term deal is actually very favorable for us. But I think the biggest issues with that deal are the assets it costs and WPG being ok dealing Ehlers to a West Coast team

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
Ehlers is 23 and that's a damn good contract for the next 6 years. You have to assume that in any move Doug makes money has to be going out along with it, or in a separate deal. Ehlers is also Alexander True's cousin and Timo's former linemate, not that it matters since we want him for his hockey skills.

KirbyDots

May 10, 2011
I agree that the Vegas guys are unrealistic but their names did come up in rumors from verified sources. Pacioretty did as well. If you're open to centers, Kadri's name has come up and so has Paul Stastny's.

Other names will come up as time progresses.
Rumors that the Sharks were interested? I honestly have a hard time seeing Vegas trading anything of importance to us. Kadri might be interesting if we can get him at a discount, exploiting Dubas's inexperience and their current cap hell.

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA

Yeah, only #1 is a hurdle. Ehlers is well worth his contract (see Nylander's contract for reference) and $6M is something that we could totally fit, provided that Meier and Labanc don't make life hell for us. We would just have to move Dillon and I do suspect Winnipeg would have interest in him.

Rumors that the Sharks were interested? I honestly have a hard time seeing Vegas trading anything of importance to us. Kadri might be interesting if we can get him at a discount, exploiting Dubas's inexperience and their current cap hell.

No, nothing linking the Sharks to any of these guys. Just rumors that their teams were looking to trade them or at least seeing what was out there.

SharksAddict

Dec 21, 2008
I think our best way forward this season has to be acquiring a medium-deal for a F in UFA and another F in a trade. Ideally one of those is a true top-6 F (trade) and the other is a top-9 (UFA).

I think we’ll likely only see one of those happen before camp. The other I think will happen at the deadline depending on how the kids do. To add say for example Ferland, LaBanc, Meier, Jumbo, Kreider and possibly even Marleau....not sure they could squeeze that in even with dumping Dell and Dillon.

KirbyDots

May 10, 2011
What I really don't want is more DW, "we're not done til the deadline" crap. I'm tired of going into seasons with holes. I think if it's the trade route we can pretty much bank on waiting all summer before it's done, just hope it's worth it.

Gilligans Island

Jul 2, 2006
SF/Bay Area
Yeah, only #1 is a hurdle. Ehlers is well worth his contract (see Nylander's contract for reference) and $6M is something that we could totally fit, provided that Meier and Labanc don't make life hell for us. We would just have to move Dillon and I do suspect Winnipeg would have interest in him.

Watch DW deal Dillon, Merkley and Labanc for Ehlers.

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
What I really don't want is more DW, "we're not done til the deadline" crap. I'm tired of going into seasons with holes. I think if it's the trade route we can pretty much bank on waiting all summer before it's done, just hope it's worth it.

Let’s say we end up acquiring Taylor Hall at the trade deadline for our Brenden Dillon and our 2021 1st. How would you feel then?

I have zero issue with being patient and getting the right guy here. We have one serious hole, a top line winger; ideally one who is more of a natural playmaker that can play with Couture/Meier.

Reactions: SharksAddict

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Remove LaBanc and add a 2nd round pick and you got a deal. Trading LaBanc for another top 6 at this point doesn’t significantly help this team.

It absolutely does. Right now, Labanc is pencilled in as a top liner where he’s going to be well over his head; he has never even successfully stuck in a 2nd line role. You would still have a hole on the 2nd line to be filled by somebody like Chekhovich or Chmelevski, but at least your top line would be taken care of with a legit stud.

Gilligans Island

Jul 2, 2006
SF/Bay Area
Let’s say we end up acquiring Taylor Hall at the trade deadline for our Brenden Dillon and our 2021 1st. How would you feel then?

I have zero issue with being patient and getting the right guy here. We have one serious hole, a top line winger; ideally one who is more of a natural playmaker that can play with Couture/Meier.

It would take much more than that. Like Merkley or a Ch twin + a 1st. Dillon's basically a dump/low value addition.

Moving Labanc for Ehlers would make sense if we can land another top-9 RW somewhere. Labanc is the only top-9 RW we have right now.

Sign Ferland as a top 9 winger? or how about Colin Wilson? Haven't heard about him - bet he could be had cheap.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California

I sorta think that should be Labanc. He’s a great playmaker. It does make the line not very fast and defensively a bit suspect but...

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
It would take much more than that. Like Merkley or a Ch twin + a 1st. Dillon's basically a dump/low value addition.

Sign Ferland as a top 9 winger? or how about Colin Wilson? Haven't heard about him - bet he could be had cheap.

Oh, I’m almost certain it would take much more for Taylor Hall. That was just a hypothetical best case scenario if we wait until the deadline to make a move.

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
I sorta think that should be Labanc. He’s a great playmaker. It does make the line not very fast and defensively a bit suspect but...

Labanc’s playmaking is truly elite on the PP but at 5-on-5, it’s low-end first line of high-end second line level. That’s still good but it’s not enough to make up for his deficiencies and those are characteristics you really don’t want from your top line.

I could see them trying him in that spot to start the year and leaving it open for a deadline acquisition, but I don’t expect him to succeed there.

Reactions: Nolan11
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 1