Speculation: 2019-2020 Sharks Roster Discussion, part три (3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

KirbyDots

May 10, 2011
Let’s say we end up acquiring Taylor Hall at the trade deadline for our Brenden Dillon and our 2021 1st. How would you feel then?

I have zero issue with being patient and getting the right guy here. We have one serious hole, a top line winger; ideally one who is more of a natural playmaker that can play with Couture/Meier.
For most of the season pretty shitty and then pretty shitty again as we'd have to gut the team to get him. We aren't getting Hall that's fantasy. If we somehow do I'd gladly eat crow. My thinking is this, the earlier we can get filling out the roster done the better. Karlsson needed time to gel but when he found his fit he was godly. Players need time to mesh, coaches need to time to adapt to the new players. We only have one top 9 right wing as of now. You can't go into the season with two rookies in those positions and hope for the best, that's not a safe way to operate. Get something now and build on that by the deadline.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
Labanc’s playmaking is truly elite on the PP but at 5-on-5, it’s low-end first line of high-end second line level. That’s still good but it’s not enough to make up for his deficiencies and those are characteristics you really don’t want from your top line.

I could see them trying him in that spot to start the year and leaving it open for a deadline acquisition, but I don’t expect him to succeed there.

Hm, yeah, fair enough.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
For most of the season pretty ****ty and then pretty ****ty again as we'd have to gut the team to get him. We aren't getting Hall that's fantasy. If we somehow do I'd gladly eat crow. My thinking is this, the earlier we can get filling out the roster done the better. Karlsson needed time to gel but when he found his fit he was godly. Players need time to mesh, coaches need to time to adapt to the new players. We only have one top 9 right wing as of now. You can't go into the season with two rookies in those positions and hope for the best, that's not a safe way to operate. Get something now and build on that by the deadline.

Doug has been preaching having a more or less done team by summer for a couple of seasons now so I think that’s likely his plan now.

Fact is, he’s either going to have to go bargain shopping, taking bets on under performers or making Doug Wilson fleecing trades. Either way, I’m guessing it won’t happen til after the first few days of FA, when he sees what his options are.

KirbyDots

May 10, 2011
Doug has been preaching having a more or less done team by summer for a couple of seasons now so I think that’s likely his plan now.

Fact is, he’s either going to have to go bargain shopping, taking bets on under performers or making Doug Wilson fleecing trades. Either way, I’m guessing it won’t happen til after the first few days of FA, when he sees what his options are.
I expect a little of both. I think he'll make a ufa signing or two, but probably can't afford the true top 6 we need. Then we'll have to wait all summer til he pulls a rabbit outta his hat and nabs a top 6 on the cheap.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
For most of the season pretty ****ty and then pretty ****ty again as we'd have to gut the team to get him. We aren't getting Hall that's fantasy. If we somehow do I'd gladly eat crow. My thinking is this, the earlier we can get filling out the roster done the better. Karlsson needed time to gel but when he found his fit he was godly. Players need time to mesh, coaches need to time to adapt to the new players. We only have one top 9 right wing as of now. You can't go into the season with two rookies in those positions and hope for the best, that's not a safe way to operate. Get something now and build on that by the deadline.

We didn’t gut the team to get Burns, Karlsson, Thornton, Heatley, Boyle, or Kane. What makes you think we would have to gut the team to get Hall at the deadline? I realize my offer was extremely optimistic, but gutting the team the other direction isn’t realistic either.

Otherwise, you make some fair points. Chemistry is very important. Karlsson is also a bit of a weirdo and defensemen are more weird than forwards and take more time to gel, but I still think it’s a valid point.

However, I just think making a real commitment to a player who isn’t top line caliber is not better than giving a chance to the rookies. I understand that it is wishful thinking that even one of Gambrell, Chmelevski, or Chekhovich are ready for top-9 duty, but trying them in those positions is not going to kill us. The Sharks are still a playoff team without adding one forward. I would rather they stay patient in pursuit of a legit top line forward than blow their remaining cap space on middle-6 forwards who we will force into a top-6 role.

Anyhow, I don’t think the organization is planning on adding a stop gap anywhere judging by how they handled Donskoi, Nyquist, and Pavelski.

Rumor until confirmed so keep in your pants!:laugh: Like I said twice already, I freely admit I could be wrong. The stupidity of NHL GMs knows no bounds. I believe whoever signs him to that, McDavid money or more than EK65, will be out of a job in short order.

Alright man, I’ll wait until tomorrow. But I’m keeping my eyes glued to the screen to see whether or not he takes the CBJ offer before midnight Eastern.

Reactions: NiWa

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
Alright man, I’ll wait until tomorrow. But I’m keeping my eyes glued to the screen to see whether or not he takes the CBJ offer before midnight Eastern.
From everything I've read there is no way he goes back to columbus. It's not about winning or the money, it's about being near other russians and something less "redneck".
If he ends up taking more than I said, enjoy it. When you're older you learn not to give a shit about being wrong on occasion. If it helps you have a better day tomorrow then I'm glad I could help.;)

BTW agree about trying the kids over wasting cap space on someone who may not be a legit top 6 winger. I think DW is mostly good at being careful about that though or at least making sure it's not a long term thing. Even Boedker was only 4mil(?) and was moveable.
DW has never said that. Even last year during the season he said the team isn't done until the deadline.

Last edited:

KirbyDots

May 10, 2011
We didn’t gut the team to get Burns, Karlsson, Thornton, Heatley, Boyle, or Kane. What makes you think we would have to gut the team to get Hall at the deadline? I realize my offer was extremely optimistic, but gutting the team the other direction isn’t realistic either.
With Hall in particular I think the addition of Subban has swayed him a little and I think the Devils will move mountains to retain him, not to mention the excitement around Hughes. Things can change but the Devils are not in nearly the spot those other teams were. DW is an opportunist, he'll call around the league looking for weakness, when he finds a team is a bad situation he needles until he gets his man.

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
I'd like to see us target Zucker, Minnesota has been making some crazy trades and he's pretty reasonable. Brings loads of speed.

Zucker-Couture-Meier
Kane-Hertl-Labanc
Marleau-Thornton-Checkovich
Goodrow-Gambrell-Sorensen
Radil

Vlasic-Burns
Simek-Karlsson
Sekera-Heed
DeSimone

Jones
Dell

Reactions: KirbyDots

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
With Hall in particular I think the addition of Subban has swayed him a little and I think the Devils will move mountains to retain him, not to mention the excitement around Hughes. Things can change but the Devils are not in nearly the spot those other teams were. DW is an opportunist, he'll call around the league looking for weakness, when he finds a team is a bad situation he needles until he gets his man.

Yeah, I don't think we're getting Taylor Hall. I think they'll extend him in NJ. But the opportunist thing is what I was trying to get at; I'd rather he strike later when there is a legit top line player available than use all of his cap space on somebody who doesn't move the needle.

I'd like to see us target Zucker, Minnesota has been making some crazy trades and he's pretty reasonable. Brings loads of speed.

Zucker-Couture-Meier
Kane-Hertl-Labanc
Marleau-Thornton-Checkovich
Goodrow-Gambrell-Sorensen
Radil

Vlasic-Burns
Simek-Karlsson
Sekera-Heed
DeSimone

Jones
Dell

Zucker would be a fantastic addition. I forgot to mention him, but he is definitely available and probably going to be traded. I really like that lineup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00