Prospect Info: 2019-2020 Senators Prospects Watch Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Montreal have arguably the best D prospect out of both teams, and arguably (I don't view Caufield very high) the best forward prospect.

Ottawa destroys them in depth.

I don't subscribe to Montreal having a better pool, but understand if someone ranks their quality guys higher, even if I don't fully agree.

Reactions: toxic poster

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Make me laugh when i hear some interview about the Rocket in which they talk about it being a young team.

They might be young, but their youth was not even quality youth with high nhl potential at that point

Now with Kotkaniemi, Peohling, Fleury, Primeau being reassing to Laval they have some prospect who should be NHL player. It wasn't the case not so long ago.

When you look at Belleville. Our 2 first line are all propesct with NHL potential. Some with higher potential then other, of course.

To be fair with Montreal's prospect pool. I believe most are not pros yet. Still, I believe that their pool is a little overhype. But that's only my opinion and i'm not a good evaluater anyway.

I guess it's the big market effect. I was listening on the radio last night and they were bragging on having the 2nd best pool (according to that Wheeler guy) despite having Kotkaniemi and Suzuki as graduates! Animators are desperately trying to sell hope to a tired fanbase as they could miss the playoffs for the 4th time in 5 years (and haven't won a Cup in soon 27 years). Many Habs fans have been raised by nostalgics shoving down their throat how the Canadiens are the Yankees of hockey so of course expectations are always a bit too high. Since the hockey has grown onto a major sports and money have been invested, Habs now have much more competition than where they were winning Cups in a 6 -12 teams league.

The prospects in Laval are

Jake Evans (23) (similar value as Jonathan Davidsson?)
Noah Juulsen (23) (similar value as Max Lajoie?)
Otto Leskinen (23) (similar value as Ole Alsing?)
Lukas Vejdemo (24) (similar value as Parker Kelly?)
Cale Fleury (21) (similar value as Christian Jaros?)
Cayden Primeau (similar value as Joey Daccord?)
Josh Brook (20)
Ryan Poehling (21)

None of them is doing very impressive. Evans (soon 24 y/o) with the best pace at 0.71 PPG. Everyone else is below 0.5 PPG and yet they have some very good/experienced vets in Varone, Barber, Hudon, Belzile (injured though), Ouellet, Peca, Dauphin, Folin, Weise, Alzner, Kinkaid... A LOT of NHL experience while Belleville do it on the strenght of their prospect.

Yeah sure, Habs best prospects haven't turned pro yet but I made a comparison with the 2 pools lately. My conclusion was I take the Sens pool quite comfortably.

They have Caufield? We have Batherson
They have Harris, Romanov, Struble? We have Brannstrom, Thomson and JBD
They have Poehling? we have Norris who IMO will be easily better
They have Primeau? We have Daccord, Sogaard, Mandolese, Gustvasson (NET advantage)
They have Brook, Norlinder, Fleury? We have Wolanin, Jaros, Lajoie, Tychonick...
They have Ylonen, Hillis, Fonstad? We have Logan Brown, Formenton, Balcers, Abramov, Pinto, Chlapik, Crookshank, Gruden, etc (that's where our pool trumps theirs IMO)

B-Sens - Belleville 2019-2020 Season Part 2

Looking at this, I have no idea how you could rank that pool above the Sens. That's not what performance/stats suggest at the very least.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Saying this as someone who doesn't expect him to make the NHL... he does have a lot of supporters regarding his ability to translate his game to higher levels.

I have been talking about this guy since he was drafted & after watching him at development camp & in the rookie tournament mentioned several times how I thought he could be a pretty good 4th line player for Ottawa in future. I also mentioned how good this guy was at faceoffs & how the coaching staff during the rookie tournament while having AHL players on his roster still had Kastelic out taking faceoffs during crucial points of the game.

While most don't see this guy making the NHL because they all love flash & dash, I think he has a good shot a carving out a decent role on the 4th line with his rugged play. Look where so many goals are scored in the NHL & it's around the crease in Tkachuk's office & this guy also goes to the net & is big enough & tough enough to take the punishment & hang in there looking for loose pucks. IMO he's exactly the kind of player Ottawa needs on the 4th line, will be interesting to see him next season in Belleville. Always good to have really hard workers & character guys on a team.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
I have been talking about this guy since he was drafted & after watching him at development camp & in the rookie tournament mentioned several times how I thought he could be a pretty good 4th line player for Ottawa in future. I also mentioned how good this guy was at faceoffs & how the coaching staff during the rookie tournament while having AHL players on his roster still had Kastelic out taking faceoffs during crucial points of the game.

While most don't see this guy making the NHL because they all love flash & dash, I think he has a good shot a carving out a decent role on the 4th line with his rugged play. Look where so many goals are scored in the NHL & it's around the crease in Tkachuk's office & this guy also goes to the net & is big enough & tough enough to take the punishment & hang in there looking for loose pucks. IMO he's exactly the kind of player Ottawa needs on the 4th line, will be interesting to see him next season in Belleville. Always good to have really hard workers & character guys on a team.
There is a chance he joins Belleville for their playoff run this year. The Calgary Hitmen are currently in the 1st wild card spot in the Eastern Conference. They are trailing far enough behind the other teams in the Central Division so it seems unlikely that they will catch up but they are also comfortably in a wild card spot and only really seem at risk of falling to the 2nd wild card slot. So it might be a challenge for them to go far depending on who they get matched up with. If they end up out of the playoffs early I could see Kastelic joining Belleville.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
There is a chance he joins Belleville for their playoff run this year. The Calgary Hitmen are currently in the 1st wild card spot in the Eastern Conference. They are trailing far enough behind the other teams in the Central Division so it seems unlikely that they will catch up but they are also comfortably in a wild card spot and only really seem at risk of falling to the 2nd wild card slot. So it might be a challenge for them to go far depending on who they get matched up with. If they end up out of the playoffs early I could see Kastelic joining Belleville.

I could see him joining in a black aces role, but I don't see who he would move out of the lineup. Would still be a good learning experience for the guy though. And he might see action in the event of injuries.

Reactions: RAFI BOMB

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Montreal have arguably the best D prospect out of both teams, and arguably (I don't view Caufield very high) the best forward prospect.

Ottawa destroys them in depth.

I don't subscribe to Montreal having a better pool, but understand if someone ranks their quality guys higher, even if I don't fully agree.

The confusing part for me is that he seems to view Harris as a future top 4 and JBD as a minute munching top 2-3, and then rates Brannstrom above him, so it’s not clear to me who he thinks has the higher upside D.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
The confusing part for me is that he seems to view Harris as a future top 4 and JBD as a minute munching top 2-3, and then rates Brannstrom above him, so it’s not clear to me who he thinks has the higher upside D.
Romanov would be above Brannstrom then I would imagine.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Would really like to see both JBD & Pinto join Belleville next season, both look ready & are big enough to handle the physical play in the AHL, especially Pinto.

Reactions: NB613

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
Would really like to see both JBD & Pinto join Belleville next season, both look ready & are big enough to handle the physical play in the AHL, especially Pinto.

JBD will most likely be in the AHL next year. I don't understand why Pinto should be rushed though. It's his first year in College. Only select few players stay for one year and go pro. I'm pretty sure he's staying in school for another year.

Reactions: NB613 and Emrasie

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
JBD will most likely be in the AHL next year. I don't understand why Pinto should be rushed though. It's his first year in College. Only select few players stay for one year and go pro. I'm pretty sure he's staying in school for another year.
Because IMO Pinto has the size to handle the AHL & it's why I didn't mention Tychonick because he is too small & soft to play in the AHL yet, but Pinto has the size & strength to handle it.

I don't think he would be rushed at all & IMO would fit right in on a line with Formenton & Norris. He didn't look out of place at all at the WJC & looked pretty good playing against his peers including older players, so no I don't think he would be rushed & looks ready to move up. Of course, who knows what the Sens will do or what he will want to do, but if there is a chance he could turn pro, I'm all for it.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
Because IMO Pinto has the size to handle the AHL & it's why I didn't mention Tychonick because he is too small & soft to play in the AHL yet, but Pinto has the size & strength to handle it.

I don't think he would be rushed at all & IMO would fit right in on a line with Formenton & Norris. He didn't look out of place at all at the WJC & looked pretty good playing against his peers including older players, so no I don't think he would be rushed & looks ready to move up. Of course, who knows what the Sens will do or what he will want to do, but if there is a chance he could turn pro, I'm all for it.

Size and strength is not the only thing you need to play in the AHL. That kind of logic is pretty bad in deciding whether a young player can play in the league or not. He should not be playing in the AHL next year. Another year of College will do him wonders.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
Size and strength is not the only thing you need to play in the AHL. That kind of logic is pretty bad in deciding whether a young player can play in the league or not. He should not be playing in the AHL next year. Another year of College will do him wonders.
I don’t think you should say that with absolute confidence. It would literally be no different than a junior player jumping to the AHL after his junior eligibility is over. It’s the same as Formenton this year and Brown last year. That being said I wouldn’t guarantee that he jumps to the AHL. Money does talk though, and there will most likely be no competition at centre for him in Belleville. I believe it has been mentioned that he might want to play one more college year though

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
That's your opinion & I disagree with it, he looked fine & was one of the better players in the WJC for the US, not to mention what a great first yr he is having in college. He has all the other attributes to play in the AHL besides size, I thought that was obvious but it seems ever detail needs to be pointed out for you to understand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino