Prospect Info: 2019-2020 Senators Prospects Watch Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
I’d definitely say there is unfinished business with how the pandemic ended sports.

If I was a 20 year old kid that's likely to slot in 50-50 time in AHL/NHL and make upwards of a million, I'd be thinking about that more in the current economic climate, rather than a college trophy. But I guess these guys have more sentimental attachment to running it back.

MatchesMalone

Formerly Innocent Bystander
Aug 29, 2010
If I was a 20 year old kid that's likely to slot in 50-50 time in AHL/NHL and make upwards of a million, I'd be thinking about that more in the current economic climate, rather than a college trophy. But I guess these guys have more sentimental attachment to running it back.

No idea what he's studying, or how confident he is that he'll be an NHL player, but perhaps with the current economic uncertainty he feels that finishing his degree is more important long-term.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019

The money isn’t a whole lot different. He prob makes $90 000 in the minors and gets 1-10 games in the NHL. He will get a signing bonus probably still plays those games in the NHL.

I have to think the Senators have had some input too.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I'll eat some crow on this one, I though he looked awful in training camp but he has been stellar this year.

Goalies are voodoo. ;-) Seriously, how else do you explain it? I think the club is doing it the right way, though - keep the pipeline filled with young prospects, keep coaching them up, and hopefully get one of them to work out for you. That way, you can avoid having to spend assets to trade for a goalie, or have to sign a veteran to an expensive, long term deal that you can't get out of. (How badly would the Sharks like to get out from under Martin Jones' contract right now, for example?)

Reactions: Sweatred

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
Having had a chance to see Mandolese since he landed in Cape Breton, I don't see anything holding him back from being an NHL goaltender.

TkachukNorris79

Jan 27, 2018
I've been re-watching Belleville's games from this season on my days off, probably will end up doing scouting reports/grades. But one guy that continuously impresses me is Abramov. He doesn't get a lot of hype, but man is he ever skilled. I don't think he'll be able to carry a line in the NHL but he does a lot of the little things right. Really good fore checker, goes to the net hard, crazy good hands, great vision/puck distribution, decent shot/release. D-zone coverage could use some work but I think it is a systems issue more than a specifically him problem. Belleville tends to collapse the wingers down low and leave the points open.

I can see him being a top 6 winger if he can round out his game defensively
So basically a young Tyler Ennis. That's a good thing.

Reactions: NB613

Peptic Balcers

May 1, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
So basically a young Tyler Ennis. That's a good thing.

I'd say stylistically, they're different. Both short, but Ennis is a better skater and can make up for his size with his feet. Abramov is a fine skater but what separates him is his hockey sense, passing and hand-eye. Whenever Abramov was on the powerplay, he was parked in front of the net. Lots of chances from tips/deflections and batting the puck out of the air

ChurchOfAlfie

Dec 4, 2016
Elite Prospects is the most accurate site I've found for arcane transaction details, and they have Tychonick listed as sitting out next year before playing for Omaha in 2021-22.

I can't help but think of the similarities in Tychonick's situation to Matej Tomek. Tomek was a goalie drafted by the Flyers in the 3rd round in 2015. He spent 2 years at UND, but only got 2 games in. He transferred to Omaha to get more playing time, but had to spend a transfer year in the USHL to do so.

Anyone aware of any other players who transferred after being drafted by NHL teams? Did they have to sit out a year? I can't think of any exceptions being granted, unfortunately.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Elite Prospects is the most accurate site I've found for arcane transaction details, and they have Tychonick listed as sitting out next year before playing for Omaha in 2021-22.

I can't help but think of the similarities in Tychonick's situation to Matej Tomek. Tomek was a goalie drafted by the Flyers in the 3rd round in 2015. He spent 2 years at UND, but only got 2 games in. He transferred to Omaha to get more playing time, but had to spend a transfer year in the USHL to do so.

Anyone aware of any other players who transferred after being drafted by NHL teams? Did they have to sit out a year? I can't think of any exceptions being granted, unfortunately.

The crack reporters in Ottawa will be all over that and let us know as soon as information becomes available.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast

Jay O’Brien was a 1st for the Flyers in 2018, played a season in the NCAA, and this past season had to play his overage 20 year old season in the BCHL while awaiting his transfer. Complete waste of a season, and is hardly a real prospect at this point.

Robbie Baillargeon was drafted by us in 2012, he played 3 years at Boston University and transferred to Arizona State without missing a year.

Difference being, he was a November birthday who had already been enrolled in University prior to being drafted, thus he was either completed, or in the process of finishing his degree which allowed him to transfer without time off. Not sure how Johnny is going to be able to cancel out the skipped year.

Reactions: ChurchOfAlfie

ChurchOfAlfie

Dec 4, 2016
Jay O’Brien was a 1st for the Flyers in 2018, played a season in the NCAA, and this past season had to play his overage 20 year old season in the BCHL while awaiting his transfer. Complete waste of a season, and is hardly a real prospect at this point.

Robbie Baillargeon was drafted by us in 2012, he played 3 years at Boston University and transferred to Arizona State without missing a year.

Difference being, he was a November birthday who had already been enrolled in University prior to being drafted, thus he was either completed, or in the process of finishing his degree which allowed him to transfer without time off. Not sure how Johnny is going to be able to cancel out the skipped year.

Ah right, Jay O'Brien. Knew there was an obvious one I was missing there.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

He’s gonna sit out an entire year?! Wtf.
Yeah I like him but that is huge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad