Prospect Info: 2019-2020 Senators Prospects Watch Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Well, Anders Ostberg was the head scout for Oreboro from 2014-2017, and he was the guy who brought Lodin into the Oreboro organisation in 2015 where he remains today. I'd imagine Lodin was his guy for years, and he fought hard to have his guy drafted, may have clouded our judgement.

Yeah, my thinking was that if they "allowed" Ostberg to make his pick maybe they'll toss him a contract as a sign of good faith as well?

Maybe that was more at risk of happening when the org lacked depth, but as is I have a hard time seeing him eating one of those valuable contract spots.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Yeah, my thinking was that if they "allowed" Ostberg to make his pick maybe they'll toss him a contract as a sign of good faith as well?

Maybe that was more at risk of happening when the org lacked depth, but as is I have a hard time seeing him eating one of those valuable contract spots.
He won't be getting a contract unless he steps up a huge amount. 8 points in 18 games in the Allsvenskan is extremely rough, to go along with 4 assists in 22 SHL games.

toxic poster

Dec 24, 2017
Queen's
Speaking of Ostberg, at what point do we change / invest differently in Euro scouting? Seems like there are huge market inefficiences with Euro players consistently falling in the draft to end up as solid NHLers these days. For a team looking to get the most bang for their buck it would make sense to invest a little heavier in european scouting to reap the benefits of where other teams are lacking. Our current euro scouting has resulted in ineffctive to non-existent pick value.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Speaking of Ostberg, at what point do we change / invest differently in Euro scouting? Seems like there are huge market inefficiences with Euro players consistently falling in the draft to end up as solid NHLers these days. For a team looking to get the most bang for their buck it would make sense to invest a little heavier in european scouting to reap the benefits of where other teams are lacking. Our current euro scouting has resulted in ineffctive to non-existent pick value.

They did add Petr Havluj as a scout this past summer. I have no idea about the specifics (full time vs part time, what his region is, ect) but they've made a small step in that regard at least. They've also stopped completely ignoring Russia (backed by the fact we're in on Zub) which is another step in the right direction.

I'm with you on the market inefficiency angle, and boosting our scouting presence across the pond. Seems like the org may be going back to that well after a few years of "NA only".

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
So who gets signed and who gets let go?

Summer UFA's (unless signed): Kevin Mandolese, Markus Nurmi, Christopher Wilkie
2021 UFA's: Viktor Lodin, Mark Kastelic, Maxcence Guenette, Mads Soogaard, Todd Burgess
2022 UFA's: Jacob Bernard-Docker, Johny Tychonik, Angus Crookshank, Jakov Novak
2023 UFA's: Shane Pinto, Luke Loheit

Locks: Jacob Bernard-Docker, Johny Tychonik, Shane Pinto, Mads Soogard
Probables: Kevin Mandolese, Mark Kastelic, Angus Crookshank
Questionables: Viktor Lodin? Maxcence Guenette, Luke Loheit, Jakov Novak
Danger Zone: Markus Nurmi, Chris Wilkie, Todd Burgess

Doesn't Kastelic need to be signed this off season? He is in his final junior eligible season so he needs to turn pro. At this point he is likely a lock and will most likely join Belleville if his team gets eliminated in the WHL playoffs.

Novak should be moved to probable instead of questionable. He is 6'3 201 lbs and his current stats are 32 GP 16 G 14 A 30 PTS. He is only in his 2nd season in the NCAA and is pretty much a point per game player. He would have to take a major step back to be put in the questionable category.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
So who gets signed and who gets let go?

Summer UFA's (unless signed): Kevin Mandolese, Markus Nurmi, Christopher Wilkie
2021 UFA's: Viktor Lodin, Mark Kastelic, Maxcence Guenette, Mads Soogaard, Todd Burgess
2022 UFA's: Jacob Bernard-Docker, Johny Tychonik, Angus Crookshank, Jakov Novak
2023 UFA's: Shane Pinto, Luke Loheit

Locks: Jacob Bernard-Docker, Johny Tychonik, Shane Pinto, Mads Soogard
Probables: Kevin Mandolese, Mark Kastelic, Angus Crookshank
Questionables: Viktor Lodin? Maxcence Guenette, Luke Loheit, Jakov Novak
Danger Zone: Markus Nurmi, Chris Wilkie, Todd Burgess

I'd be shocked if Guenette isn't signed. Also, I'd sign Mandolese and Crookshank for sure. Kastelic could be heck of a player in the AHL so he's someone I'd keep around as well

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
Lodin can be let go already essentially. That was a swing and a miss in the 4th for sure.

Likewise with Loheit.
Looking back at it I am puzzled by the Sens drafting Loheit. The Sens drafted him in 2018 and his stats in USHS-MN were 24 GP 12 G 28 A 30 PTS. His stats had him ranked 203 across all of USHS-MN for points. For a less reputable league those point totals don't stand out. For example the notable draft eligible from USHS-MN for the 2020 draft are putting up between 2 to over 3 points per game.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

And as I have often said the coaches love this guy's defensive game as well as his ability to win faceoffs. Hopefully, he becomes what I think he is a complete player at both ends of the ice (a 200' player) & another guy who goes to the net where the vast majority of goals in the NHL are scored.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Kastelic with a goal and an assist in the Hitmen's 4-1 win. He was also 60% for faceoffs.

This guy has been nothing short of great this season & he's excellent defensively & in the faceoff circle. he can do a lot of things well. This is going to be a great addition to Belleville for next season & hopefully we'll see him in the NHL someday.

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
This guy has been nothing short of great this season & he's excellent defensively & in the faceoff circle. he can do a lot of things well. This is going to be a great addition to Belleville for next season & hopefully we'll see him in the NHL someday.
Probably won't sign him. There will be a glut of contracts to sign in 1-2 years so they'll have to pass on some guys.
Might sign AHL contract though.

Since he's not CHL eligible next year, and we still have his rights, what are the rules here if Sens don't want to give him an NHL contract? Can he sign AHL contract with B-Sens?

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
Probably won't sign him. There will be a glut of contracts to sign in 1-2 years so they'll have to pass on some guys.

Since he's not CHL eligible next year, and we still have his rights, what are the rules here if Sens don't want to give him an NHL contract? Can he sign AHL contract with B-Sens?
I doubt they drafted him not to sign him

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Kastelic will be signed

Yeah, we should have a decent amount of space this upcoming offseason. Boedker, Peca, Anderson, Callahan, MacArthur, Hainsey, Labrie & Szwarz are all UFAs... I'd guess we sign anywhere from 0 to 3 of those 8 guys. Plus we have Klimchuk, Englund, and Hawryluk as RFAs who may not receive QOs. As far as I can tell, the only guys we will need to make decisions on are Nurmi, Wilkie & Mandolese… Gruden may go pro or could slide his ELC 1 more year. JBD may or may not go pro. Thomson and Alsing likely will. Beyond that, however, not too many prospects will be joining the ranks over the summer.

Reactions: innocent bystander

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018
Yeah, we should have a decent amount of space this upcoming offseason. Boedker, Peca, Anderson, Callahan, MacArthur, Hainsey, Labrie & Szwarz are all UFAs... I'd guess we sign anywhere from 0 to 3 of those 8 guys. Plus we have Klimchuk, Englund, and Hawryluk as RFAs who may not receive QOs. As far as I can tell, the only guys we will need to make decisions on are Nurmi, Wilkie & Mandolese… Gruden may go pro or could slide his ELC 1 more year. JBD may or may not go pro. Thomson and Alsing likely will. Beyond that, however, not too many prospects will be joining the ranks over the summer.
Hawryluk I want him back next year

Reactions: ReginKarlssonLehner

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada

Boro is the only UFA that should be back and only on a short term deal if possible.

Ryan has 2 years left and Sens will need his cap hit to reach the floor. If he can have a resurgence like he has shown so far, might as well use him, which gives a little bit more time for young players to grow

Tkachuk-Norris-Ryan
Balcers-Brown-Batherson
Formenton-White-Brown
Paul-Chlapik-Hawryluk
Anisimov

Chabot-Brannstrom
Wolanin-Zaitsev
Reilly-Jaros
Borowiecki

Nilsson/Hogberg

* Trade Tierney and Duclair as a RFAs

Sens will pick twice in the Top-8, is one of them be ready as soon as next year? Either way, massive logjam coming up.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
Boro is the only UFA that should be back and only on a short term deal if possible.

Ryan has 2 years left and Sens will need his cap hit to reach the floor. If he can have a resurgence like he has shown so far, might as well use him, which gives a little bit more time for young players to grow

Tkachuk-Norris-Ryan
Balcers-Brown-Batherson
Formenton-White-Brown
Paul-Chlapik-Hawryluk
Anisimov

Chabot-Brannstrom
Wolanin-Zaitsev
Reilly-Jaros
Borowiecki

Nilsson/Hogberg

Sens will pick twice in the Top-8, is one of them be ready as soon as next year? Either way, massive logjam coming up.
IMO, Lafreniere, Byfield, and Rossi will play in the NHL next year and Stutzle, Lundell and Raymond have chances

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009

Tkachuk-Norris-Ryan
Balcers-Brown-Batherson
Formenton-White-Brown
Paul-Chlapik-Hawryluk
Anisimov

Chabot-Brannstrom
Wolanin-Zaitsev
Reilly-Jaros
Borowiecki

Nilsson/Hogberg

Chuk-Norris all American line
B sens line

Nice top 6

Reactions: Puikiou

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

Tkachuk-Norris-Ryan
Balcers-Brown-Batherson
Formenton-White-Brown
Paul-Chlapik-Hawryluk
Anisimov

Chabot-Brannstrom
Wolanin-Zaitsev
Reilly-Jaros
Borowiecki

Nilsson/Hogberg

Nice thought but DJ will not play CB on the 3rd line until he is blown away by Batherson/Ryan. The way you've drawn it up I would switch Brown and Ryan. I would guarantee he is deployed more minutes than any other rw.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Nice thought but DJ will not play CB on the 3rd line until he is blown away by Batherson/Ryan. The way you've drawn it up I would switch Brown and Ryan. I would guarantee he is deployed more minutes than any other rw.
Agreed. Until another RW proves to be Browns equal Connor will continue to get most ice time.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

Yes, he could sign a AHL contract but why wouldn't they sign him if they drafted him, that doesn't make any sense to me given he has had such a good yr. Let's also not forget that there are a number of players & some prospects who have not done anything who should be taken off the books by the end of the yr.

MacArthur & Callanhan will be off the books at the end of the yr, I expect most of the UFAs will also be let go & not re-signed. In fact, it would not surprise me if Ottawa drops at least 7 to 10 contracts by the end of this yr. Klimchuck is another guy for example, who is an RFA who I could see not be re-signed & taken off the books & most of the good young prospects are already signed to ELC, how many more guys are they expecting to sign anyways? And there are at least a half dozen or so of guys who are not expected to be on this team after next season as well, such as, Anisimov, Tierny, Reilly & maybe Nilsson & Gaborik will also be off the books. I expect a few RFAs in Belleville may not be re-signed after next season & the following yr it will be Ryan & maybe a few more, IMO there will always be room to sign good players with a future in this org.
Ottawa Senators - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Last edited:

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019

Tkachuk-Norris-Ryan
Balcers-Brown-Batherson
Formenton-White-Brown
Paul-Chlapik-Hawryluk
Anisimov

Chabot-Brannstrom
Wolanin-Zaitsev
Reilly-Jaros
Borowiecki

Nilsson/Hogberg

I don’t think we are walking away from Duclair/CT and I don’t think DJ is going to roll out a bunch of all rookie lines.

Reactions: BoardsofCanada

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
Yes, he could sign a AHL contract but why wouldn't they sign him if they drafted him, that doesn't make any sense to me given he has had such a good yr. Let's also not forget that there are a number of players & some prospects who have not done anything who should be taken off the books by the end of the yr.
Has he though? Slightly above PPG is a pedestrian pace for a 20-year old.
Not to mention he's on a worse pace than he did last year when he hit 47 goals. They clearly were hoping he would be at the top of WHL scoring race and that's not happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad