Prospect Info: 2019-2020 Senators Prospects Watch Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

SAK11

Oct 4, 2011
Has he though? Slightly above PPG is a pedestrian pace for a 20-year old.
Not to mention he's on a worse pace than he did last year when he hit 47 goals. They clearly were hoping he would be at the top of WHL scoring race and that's not happening.

I’d imagine Ottawa is fine with the year he’s had. He doesn’t have good enough ability with the puck to contend for the scoring race. His skating needs to improve, too. What he does well is play a physical, two way game. He’s 5th in the league in goals, the best faceoff man in the league, and tied for 1st in short handed goals. He’s big, strong, and seems like a potential 4th line center down the road. He’ll most definitely get a contract from Ottawa.

Reactions: aragorn and Bileur

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
We have always been good at churning out NHL talent for the lower lines, and this guys seems like a candidate.

You need intangibles to stick as a 4th line type on this squad for sure.

Reactions: Bileur

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Not to mention he's on a worse pace than he did last year when he hit 47 goals. They clearly were hoping he would be at the top of WHL scoring race and that's not happening.
There was absolutely no hoping he was going to be at the top of the WHL scoring race

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Would be strange if so, considering he was 3rd in goals last year as a 19-year old.
Kastelic is a guy that was picked to be a 3rd line max, likely 4th line big body presence. This isn’t like Hoffman getting drafted at 19 and returning to win the MVP in the Q, they are not ever expecting Kastelic to be a top point getter. He’s having a great year for the type of player he is.

He’s never been a point getter, even all the way back to his days in bantam his 2 best seasons statistically are this and last years.

Reactions: OD99 and aragorn

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Why would you say they CLEARLY were hoping he would be at the top of the WHL scoring race? How would you know what they, meaning the Sens were hoping for or wouldn't they hope that for every prospect they have that they would be at the top of their league's scoring race? 77 pts last yr in 66 games & 64 pts in 53 games including 35 goals this yr IMO is impressive, but as I have said a million times on here it's not just about pts, it's also about preventing goals against. And this guy can do both, especially prevent them.

All that to say, IMO I think the Sens will sign him & we'll soon see which one of us has the better take on this guy. Btw at last yr's Rookie Tournament, the coaching staff which I believe was led by Troy Mann, Belleville's coach used Kastelic consistently & persistently for almost every faceoff in their defensive end & used his line as the shutdown line. He's big, he's tough, he's very good defensively & at faceoffs, he hits, he can fight, he can block shots, he can win board battles & occasionally he can score or set up guys for goals. He can do a lot of different things for a team & most coaches/managers like guys like that.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I don’t think we are walking away from Duclair/CT and I don’t think DJ is going to roll out a bunch of all rookie lines.

I'm not expecting CT and AD to be both traded, I know it won't be popular but that's what I'd do. At least Tierney. Duclair brings speed/skill/shot so if we can groom to be a 3rd line threat (ala Hoffman), I'm not against having him a few years

Tierney is decent/average player but frankly, there's too many good prospects coming up. We need to open the door for them. They have been patient this year but we can't overcook all of them. Guys like Batherson, Norris and Formenton, etc will want to graduate

Now regarding the other part of your post... You said "a bunch of all rookie lines" but outside of that 2nd line, which other line fits that bill? Even the defense pairing have relative experience.

Of course, the Sens won't have a TON of experience but Tkachuk and White will be in their 3rd season, Chabot in his 4th. I highlighted guys that have some decent/long NHL experience

Tkachuk-Norris-Ryan
Balcers-Brown-Batherson
Formenton-White-Brown
Paul
-Chlapik-Hawryluk
Anisimov

Chabot-Brannstrom
Wolanin-Zaitsev
Reilly
-Jaros
Borowiecki

Nilsson/Hogberg

Even guys like Hawryluk, Batherson, Balcers, Brown, Chlapik, Wolanin, Jaros and even Brannstrom will have some decent pro experience (2-3 + years). Really, the 2 "green" guys are Formenton and Norris

Now you could Inset Duclair instead of Balcers and then Balcers instead of Formenton (that you would cook longer the AHL?)

We are not trying to win the Cup. Guys need to graduate at some point, that's the whole point of a rebuild. With all the talent the team will bank at the draft, the timing will be right in many cases. If DJ "gets in the way" and play Tierney and Connor McBrown 25 minutes a night, then I consider him a problem

Nice thought but DJ will not play CB on the 3rd line until he is blown away by Batherson/Ryan. The way you've drawn it up I would switch Brown and Ryan. I would guarantee he is deployed more minutes than any other rw.

It's true but you know like me that Connor McBrown is n reality a great 3rd liner, that's a guy I want to staple on the Sens 3rd line for several years. Same with Paul on the 4th line.

Ryan, as long as he's healthy mentally and physically, my idea is to have him there to shelter other guys. He's paid so might as well use him. Tkachuk is very young but gaining experience, Norris won't have to carry a rookie.

Then of course, things will/should be based on chemistry so will see, until Batherson forces his way higher. But let's not forget players going to be drafted as well. They could potentially play as soon as next season. Plus, who knows if Dorion doesn't sign an UFA 0r trade for a player. Lots remain to be seen

Why would you say they CLEARLY were hoping he would be at the top of the WHL scoring race? How would you know what they, meaning the Sens were hoping for or wouldn't they hope that for every prospect they have that they would be at the top of their league's scoring race? 77 pts last yr in 66 games & 64 pts in 53 games including 35 goals this yr IMO is impressive, but as I have said a million times on here it's not just about pts, it's also about preventing goals against. And this guy can do both, especially prevent them.

All that to say, IMO I think the Sens will sign him & we'll soon see which one of us has the better take on this guy. Btw at last yr's Rookie Tournament, the coaching staff which I believe was led by Troy Mann, Belleville's coach used Kastelic consistently & persistently for almost every faceoff in their defensive end & used his line as the shutdown line. He's big, he's tough, he's very good defensively & at faceoffs, he hits, he can fight, he can block shots, he can win board battles & occasionally he can score or set up guys for goals. He can do a lot of different things for a team & most coaches/managers like guys like that.

A very important point Bergevin made in an interview with Mathias Brunet is how long do players have the puck during a game? He said there's a lot more to do outside of the seconds they have the puck on their stick. That's why players like Galchenyuk don't succeed (he didn't say that one)

Last edited:

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
With all the hype Josh Norris is getting I feel Formentons season is flying under the radar. 6 ft 3, warp speed, a tenacious pest and now hes showing that he can score in a pro league as a rookie.

I thought he would be a 3rd liner, but now im wondering if we have our very own Chris Kreider.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
I'm not expecting CT and AD to be both traded, I know it won't be popular but that's what I'd do. At least Tierney. Duclair brings speed/skill/shot so if we can groom to be a 3rd line threat (ala Hoffman), I'm not against having him a few years

Tierney is decent/average player but frankly, there's too many good prospects coming up. We need to open the door for them. They have been patient this year but we can't overcook all of them. Guys like Batherson, Norris and Formenton, etc will want to graduate

Now regarding the other part of your post... You said "a bunch of all rookie lines" but outside of that 2nd line, which other line fits that bill? Even the defense pairing have relative experience.

Of course, the Sens won't have a TON of experience but Tkachuk and White will be in their 3rd season, Chabot in his 4th. I highlighted guys that have some decent/long NHL experience

Tkachuk-Norris-Ryan
Balcers-Brown-Batherson
Formenton-White-Brown
Paul
-Chlapik-Hawryluk
Anisimov

Chabot-Brannstrom
Wolanin-Zaitsev
Reilly
-Jaros
Borowiecki

Nilsson/Hogberg

Even guys like Hawryluk, Batherson, Balcers, Brown, Chlapik, Wolanin, Jaros and even Brannstrom will have some decent pro experience (2-3 + years). Really, the 2 "green" guys are Formenton and Norris

Now you could Inset Duclair instead of Balcers and then Balcers instead of Formenton (that you would cook longer the AHL?)

We are not trying to win the Cup. Guys need to graduate at some point, that's the whole point of a rebuild. With all the talent the team will bank at the draft, the timing will be right in many cases. If DJ "gets in the way" and play Tierney and Connor McBrown 25 minutes a night, then I consider him a problem

It's true but you know like me that Connor McBrown is a really great 3rd liner, that's a guy I want to staple on the Sens 3rd line for several years. Same with Paul on the 4th line.

Ryan, as long as he's healthy mentally and physically, my idea is to have him there to shelter other guys. He's paid so might as well use him. Tkachuk is very young but gaining experience, Norris won't have to carry a rookie.

Then of course, things will/should be based on chemistry so will see, until Batherson forces his way higher. But let's not forget players going to be drafted as well. They could potentially play as soon as next season. Plus, who knows if Dorion doesn't sign an UFA 0r trade for a player. Lots remain to be seen

A very important point Bergevin made in an interview with Mathias Brunet is how long do players have the puck during a game? He said there's a lot more to do outside of the seconds they have the puck on their stick. That's why players like Galchenyuk don't succeed (he didn't say that one)

Keeping it short - in addition to line 2... White can’t carry Formenton on L3 and Chaplik can’t carry hamyrluk on L4.

I can’t see an NHL coach rolling out that much inexperience unless players like White/Balcers/Form look a lot different in the fall. Opposing coaches would eat them alive and that’s not dealing with Norris/Brown/Bath

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Keeping it short - in addition to line 2... White can’t carry Formenton on L3 and Chaplik can’t carry hamyrluk on L4.

I can’t see an NHL coach rolling out that much inexperience unless players like White/Balcers/Form look a lot different in the fall. Opposing coaches would eat them alive and that’s not dealing with Norris/Brown/Bath

Ok this will be my last post about it as I would like to do other stuff and to be honest, considering the previous debates regarding who shall not be named, you seem to be more of the kind that is ignoring arguments so don't want to waste much time with this

- REBUILD : this is not a small rebuild this team has been through, nothing conventional here.

- Doesn't matter if White can carry Formenton or not. This line would be extremely fast, the key player here is Connor Brown who has 318 NHL games as we speak and on pace for 50 pts this year. This line would be reasonably responsible defensively and would only be counted on to produce 3rd line numbers. 30-40 pts (per 82 games OF COURSE since you were probably going to say something about that) is a pretty reasonable expectation for all of them. Brown and White already did better, Formenton is PPG in the AHL as a 20 y/o rookie.

- Who cares about L4, they'd play 8-10 minutes a game with the only expectation to prevent goals against. Paul (will be 25 y/o) seems to be good at it and is getting more and more experience. Chlapik (will be 23 y/o in his FOURTH pro season) is pretty smart and Hawryluk (going on 25 y/o, 5th pro season) seems pretty tough to play against.

- Name 1 prospect that has been "rushed" recently. Tkachuk? Doesn't seem to bother him much

- I also said Duclair would probably there (so more experience), instead of Balcers maybe

- Many thought we'd get eaten alive this year, it didn't happen. Many thought the same thing in 2012-13, it didn't happen, they even made the playoffs and won a round (on the strength of young players)

- DJ Smith shouldn't be the one making the decisions regarding the roster. We know Dorion has been very generous to his coaches getting their favorites but IMO (and pretty sure many posters would agree) that has to change somewhat. The goal is not to make Dj Smith "survive", it's to make the Senators successful and that will come trhough the strenght of the prospect pool and not the Ennises and Hainseys.

- AGAIN, we are NOT trying to win the Cup here, but if you eventually would want to win one, you have to start somewhere. WAITING that your best prospects reach UFA status is not super smart... Not sure why I have to tell you that.

- It's starting to look when I explained you that you have to adapt to evolution of the average NHL salaries. You also have to adapt that the NHL is now is a VERY young league. Can't wait too long that your guys get old and expensive or you're gonna miss the boat.

Anyway, you're reading way too much into these lineup draws, it's just to give us an idea, A LOT can happen. If you want to continue sticking on details go ahead, but personally I'm off.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Ok this will be my last post about it as I would like to do other stuff and to be honest, considering the previous debates regarding who shall not be named, you seem to be more of the kind that is ignoring arguments so don't want to waste much time with this

- REBUILD : this is not a small rebuild this team has been through, nothing conventional here.

- Doesn't matter if White can carry Formenton or not. This line would be extremely fast, the key player here is Connor Brown who has 318 NHL games as we speak and on pace for 50 pts this year. This line would be reasonably responsible defensively and would only be counted on to produce 3rd line numbers. 30-40 pts (per 82 games OF COURSE since you were probably going to say something about that) is a pretty reasonable expectation for all of them. Brown and White already did better, Formenton is PPG in the AHL as a 20 y/o rookie.

- Who cares about L4, they'd play 8-10 minutes a game with the only expectation to prevent goals against. Paul (will be 25 y/o) seems to be good at it and is getting more and more experience. Chlapik (will be 23 y/o in his FOURTH pro season) is pretty smart and Hawryluk (going on 25 y/o, 5th pro season) seems pretty tough to play against.

- Name 1 prospect that has been "rushed" recently. Tkachuk? Doesn't seem to bother him much

- I also said Duclair would probably there (so more experience), instead of Balcers maybe

- Many thought we'd get eaten alive this year, it didn't happen. Many thought the same thing in 2012-13, it didn't happen, they even made the playoffs and won a round (on the strength of young players)

- DJ Smith shouldn't be the one making the decisions regarding the roster. We know Dorion has been very generous to his coaches getting their favorites but IMO (and pretty sure many posters would agree) that has to change somewhat. The goal is not to make Dj Smith "survive", it's to make the Senators successful and that will come trhough the strenght of the prospect pool and not the Ennises and Hainseys.

- AGAIN, we are NOT trying to win the Cup here, but if you eventually would want to win one, you have to start somewhere. WAITING that your best prospects reach UFA status is not super smart... Not sure why I have to tell you that.

- It's starting to look when I explained you that you have to adapt to evolution of the average NHL salaries. You also have to adapt that the NHL is now is a VERY young league. Can't wait too long that your guys get old and expensive or you're gonna miss the boat.

Anyway, you're reading way too much into these lineup draws, it's just to give us an idea, A LOT can happen. If you want to continue sticking on details go ahead, but personally I'm off.

Good post. Hope it helps

Reactions: Xspyrit

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Kastelic is a guy that was picked to be a 3rd line max, likely 4th line big body presence. This isn’t like Hoffman getting drafted at 19 and returning to win the MVP in the Q, they are not ever expecting Kastelic to be a top point getter. He’s having a great year for the type of player he is.

He’s never been a point getter, even all the way back to his days in bantam his 2 best seasons statistically are this and last years.

Agree, the Kastelic pick is more akin to picking Smith as an overager (and I don’t think Kastelic has as much upside as Smith).

Reactions: Alf Silfversson

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
With all the hype Josh Norris is getting I feel Formentons season is flying under the radar. 6 ft 3, warp speed, a tenacious pest and now hes showing that he can score in a pro league as a rookie.

I thought he would be a 3rd liner, but now im wondering if we have our very own Chris Kreider.

Beautiful thing to see

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Another G + A tonight for Forms...I hope he gets a couple games in Ottawa just as a reward for an incredible season.

Hard to imagine the Batherson/Norris/Formenton trio anywhere but Ottawa to start next season at F.

Add Bran and Wolanin on backend and already this team looks dramatically different.

Plus of course White bouncing back in a big way and The Hog in net...

No, no...don't do it...don't get ahead of yourself and start adding Laf...I said don't do it!

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Another G + A tonight for Forms...I hope he gets a couple games in Ottawa just as a reward for an incredible season.

Hard to imagine the Batherson/Norris/Formenton trio anywhere but Ottawa to start next season at F.

Add Bran and Wolanin on backend and already this team looks dramatically different.

Plus of course White bouncing back in a big way and The Hog in net...

No, no...don't do it...don't get ahead of yourself and start adding Laf...I said don't do it!

Gotta think Dorion gets creative and packages a couple players + picks for some added help.

Reactions: DueDiligence
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad