2019/2020 season predictions

DavelPatsyuk

Feb 26, 2018
Sault Ste. Marie, ON
The West is just very dependent on how the coming weeks play out. If Hayton returns and Caufield goes to NHL camp and doesn't make it, SSM could easily become a favourite. Otherwise we're 4-6. Saginaw, Kitchener, London should also all be up in the top 4 again. Way too early to predict actual standings IMO.

I'm sure there's more than a couple teams in a similar situation.

MoWanchuk1

Feb 18, 2017
The main reason is the consistency of London. Their consistency drives the competition in the West. Kitchener, historically, has always been on a relatively good cycle. They've had a lot of strong coaching and management teams. Their building and the number of people coinsistently in it has helped. Sault has had a reall strong and sustained run. Since Dubas had taken over that team, they've been relatively strong. Erie pops their head out every few years on cycle. Owen Sound always manages to be competitive. The west has a strong nucleus foundation from which to propell the conference.

The West also has a collection of relatively strong buildings and revenues. It allows them to spend on management and development.

The East has had its struggles in the GTA. Brampton, Mississauga, St Mike's. Up North, North Bay and Sudbury have struggled with attendance. Plus they have the higher travel costs. The Pete's have struggled a lot since the new major junior hockey model of bigger spending has come into play. Their building cannot generate the revenue required to really compete year after year. At best they can do a one in four cycle.

The East lives pretty much on the wrong side of the tracks so to speak. Ottawa, Kingston, Oshawa, and Niagara are the only Eastern teams that can financially sustain themselves at a high competitive level based on the buildings and general fan support. It is really hard for the other teams to generate the types of revenue required to invest in the higher end management and coaching as well as high performance training teams. We won't even get into inducements like scholarships etc.

There is not much the East can do with respect to the depth of the conference. Because it is generally weaker, there is less of a need to pump tires at the deadline because of the level of their direct competition combined with overall resources.

It will continue to stay this way. I don't see any massive shifts. Sudbury would need to find the success with the same formula as Sault. The Pete's would need to match Owen Sound. Kingston needs an ownership change and some serious fresh air. Hamilton needs a new rink. If all of these were to happen, I could start to see some financial balance which leads to better staffing and higher performance. But these things are a long shot in my mind....each and every one of them.
Funny that revenue has a lot to do with a teams success on the ice in junior hockey where bottom teams continue to draft near the top but still struggle...just isn’t right to me

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Funny that revenue has a lot to do with a teams success on the ice in junior hockey where bottom teams continue to draft near the top but still struggle...just isn’t right to me

The problem is that only really accounts for one player. After that, they don’t pick again until early 20’s. Teams with more revenue can scout better and make those investments. They will typically pick wel through the 5th round.

Teams with more revenue can invest more in scholarships and maybe entice those players in the 2nd and 3rd round more. We know for a fact the lower revenue teams tend to pick players that will report, not best available.

Great organizations can gamble more with NCAA kids. Not only do they have the revenues to support the bigger school packages but they also have significant investment in development off ice as well as on ice.

It requires a ton of revenue now to condition the kids and develop their skills to their full potential. Kids will want to go to the organizations they know will best develop their skills. It is natural to desire that. Unfortunately, some teams simply cannot afford to do the things other organizations can do.

Reactions: NOA

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
The West is just very dependent on how the coming weeks play out. If Hayton returns and Caufield goes to NHL camp and doesn't make it, SSM could easily become a favourite. Otherwise we're 4-6. Saginaw, Kitchener, London should also all be up in the top 4 again. Way too early to predict actual standings IMO.

I'm sure there's more than a couple teams in a similar situation.

Caulfield isn't coming to the Soo.

Reactions: NOA

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
He will be playing in Wisconsin with Turcotte. I would rather see them in the OHL as rivals.
Neither will be getting a Badger degree anytime soon, if ever. Big10 hockey isn't currently the most intense in the NCAA and they'll be playing 40ish games. For kids like those two it makes little sense to me to choose the NCAA over the O.

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
Neither will be getting a Badger degree anytime soon, if ever. Big10 hockey isn't currently the most intense in the NCAA and they'll be playing 40ish games. For kids like those two it makes little sense to me to choose the NCAA over the O.

it might not be as intense as it once was, but they’re still playing against older and bigger guys. they won’t go and score at a 2 point per game pace like they would if they came to the O

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
2 pts/GP?

pretty close if not that. at this point in his career, it doesn’t make any sense to switch over. if anything, if players were allowed it would make sense to switch to the NCAA from the OHL after they were drafted.

the OHL/CHL is the best development league for 16 and 17 year olds and europeans who’ve never played in NA. no other junior league allows you to play against NHL drafted prospects every night before you’re even eligible. but once your drafted and in your 3rd or 4th year in the league, there’s only a handful of guys on teams that are on your skill level or better. in the NCAA as an NHL drafted 18 year old, you aren’t going to get the statistical success that you will in the OHL because it is better competition.

at this point, the best competition for them is in the NCAA. same goes to any 18 year old mulling that decision

in terms of development, the OHL doesn’t offer nearly as much to 18 year olds as the NCAA does. less NCAA games means more time practicing and in the gym bettering yourself. the atmosphere of an NCAA game destroys most OHL crowds

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
If you look at the Wisconsin roster it is loaded with talent. I'm sure having Tony Granato as coach can help them take the next step to the big league with his experience as an ex NHLer. Still would love to see Turcotte in a Spirit uniform. I think Caufield and Turcotte would be better playing 68 games and another dozen or more in the playoffs. Both have their advantages.

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
Saginaw
London
SSM
Windsor
Kitchener
Owen Sound
Erie
Flint
Sarnia
Guelph

Ottawa
Sudbury
Peterborough
Oshawa
Hamilton
Barrie
Mississauga
Kingston
Niagara
North Bay

These would be my conference standings by points. Could change depending who the Petes sell and get back though and Barrett Haytons future

Edit: sep 4th after trades

Edit: sep 13 for “gut feeling”

Last edited:

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
East:

Ottawa
Sudbury
Oshawa
Peterborough
Barrie
Mississauga