2019/2020 season predictions

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
I know I am a tad early to create this but I wanted to ensure I had the first entry on the thread. I will be running the same prediction contest as last year and I will post the rules for this shortly. They will be basically the same rules as last year ( seemed to work for everyone). Seems a long way off but it is only 7 weeks to opening night. Having said that deadline for entry is 7 pm Thursday September 19th ( first game of the year is that night). Rules will be up by the end of next week and any questions please don't hesitate to ask.

1 question I did get late last year was how much to enter? There is no cost to enter, it is free, I provide the token prizes and you Gals/Guys just have to make your predictions.

Edit - Rules - Same as last year there will be 3 winners - overall, east conference, west conference.
Prizes will be distributed through DM ( no personal info required).

Scoring as follows - 10 points for picking the first place in the eastern conference. 10 points for picking the first place winner in the western conference. 9 points for picking second place in the eastern conference. 9 points for picking second place in the western conference. 8 points for picking third in the eastern conference. 8 points for picking third in the western conference. This will continue down by 1 point per placing until 10th place is awarded 1 point in each conference.

As noted above all picks must be in by 7pm on Sept 19th. I will post closing just after 7pm that night. You can still put picks in but they will not be eligible for any prizes.

There will be 3 prizes awarded but you can only win 1 prize. Next in line would win RE- if you win overall you likely had best in 1 or 2 of the conferences as well so next best would win in each conference.

If tied there will be a random draw to pick the prize winner.

Same as last year I will not be eligible for any of the prizes.

I will publish a final tally sheet at the end of the year.

I'm open to any questions or ideas - post if you wish all to see or DM me if you want.

Good luck and remember this is for fun so keep it that way.

P.S. - I write the picks down so please don't bother trying to edit during the year.

Last edited:

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
This season is going to be interesting

Western Conference

1- Saginaw Spirit - The Spirit had a good season last year and should in the top half of the conference

2- Kitchener Rangers - Had a good season last year and should this year with a solid team returning

3- London Knights - Just because it's London

4- Soo Greyhounds - The Greyhounds could still make some noise in the western conference this season and have a decent roster plus/minus a tweak here or there

5- Owen Sound Attack - The Attack have a solid returning core this season and should be in the mix this season.

6- Windsor Spitfires - The Spitfires should have a good year this year after a down years last season.

7- Sarnia Sting - The Sting have a decent roster and good goal-tending and should be in the mix to make a splash this year.

8- Flint Firebirds - After a down year the Firebirds should go into 2019/20 on a high-note with the building-blocks of a competitor in their system.

9- Erie Otters - The Otters are in an interesting position this year after there years at the top the Otters could be an outside looking in while having a good core of returns they would be in a similar position as the Firebirds while looking to make splash in the conference for 2021.

10- Guelph Storm - With a good year last season, the Storm will be on the re-build this season with good pieces with limited experience and youth the Storm will be on the learning curve part of there rebuild.

Eastern Conference

1- Sudbury Wolves - After a big step forward last season the Wolves could take the Eastern conference by storm this year, with what is returning to the Wolves have a good shot at taking the Eastern conference.

2- Oshawa Generals - With what is returning to the Generals have returning have the best chance to push in the Eastern Conference this year.

3- Peterborough Petes - The Petes have a decent returning roster and should be in good shape this season moving forward.

4- Mississauga Steelheads - The Steelheads should be in the mix in the eastern conference with a returning core of players in the hunt for top spot in the Eastern Conference.

5- Kingston Frontenacs - The Frontenacs should be in the mix in Eastern Conference with a building around last year's top round pick Shane Wright to building around.

6- Barrie Colts - The Colts have a solid lineup and should be in the mix to make noise in Eastern Conference this year.

7- Hamilton Bulldogs - The Bulldogs are going to take steps in a big direction this season in the Eastern Conference with a young core of good players they will build around this season.

8- North Bay Battalion -The Battalion will have an interesting season this year they should make noise in the Eastern Conference this coming season.

9- Niagara Ice Dogs - Will be in a rebuild this season and will towards the future.

10- Ottawa 67's - The 67's will be in a complete rebuild this season after last season's run.

May the chips fall where they may for 2019/20

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI

Western Conference

1- Saginaw Spirit - The Spirit had a good season last year and should in the top half of the conference

2- Kitchener Rangers - Had a good season last year and should this year with a solid team returning

4- Soo Greyhounds - The Greyhounds could still make some noise in the western conference this season and have a decent roster plus/minus a tweak here or there

5- Owen Sound Attack - The Attack have a solid returning core this season and should be in the mix this season.

6- Windsor Spitfires - The Spitfires should have a good year this year after a down years last season.

7- Sarnia Sting - The Sting have a decent roster and good goal-tending and should be in the mix to make a splash this year.

8- Flint Firebirds - After a down year the Firebirds should go into 2019/20 on a high-note with the building-blocks of a competitor in their system.

9- Erie Otters - The Otters are in an interesting position this year after there years at the top the Otters could be an outside looking in while having a good core of returns they would be in a similar position as the Firebirds while looking to make splash in the conference for 2021.

10- Guelph Storm - With a good year last season, the Storm will be on the re-build this season with good pieces with limited experience and youth the Storm will be on the learning curve part of there rebuild.

Eastern Conference

1- Sudbury Wolves - After a big step forward last season the Wolves could take the Eastern conference by storm this year, with what is returning to the Wolves have a good shot at taking the Eastern conference.

2- Oshawa Generals - With what is returning to the Generals have returning have the best chance to push in the Eastern Conference this year.

3- Peterborough Petes - The Petes have a decent returning roster and should be in good shape this season moving forward.

4- Mississauga Steelheads - The Steelheads should be in the mix in the eastern conference with a returning core of players in the hunt for top spot in the Eastern Conference.

5- Kingston Frontenacs - The Frontenacs should be in the mix in Eastern Conference with a building around last year's top round pick Shane Wright to building around.

6- Barrie Colts - The Colts have a solid lineup and should be in the mix to make noise in Eastern Conference this year.

7- Hamilton Bulldogs - The Bulldogs are going to take steps in a big direction this season in the Eastern Conference with a young core of good players they will build around this season.

8- North Bay Battalion -The Battalion will have an interesting season this year they should make noise in the Eastern Conference this coming season.

9- Niagara Ice Dogs - Will be in a rebuild this season and will towards the future.

10- Ottawa 67's - The 67's will be in a complete rebuild this season after last season's run.

You cannot possibly be serious.

Petes

Jun 23, 2014

Western Conference

Eastern Conference

Ottawa is going to still be really, really good.

AttackSound

Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
You cannot possibly be serious.

I think you could ask the Guelph Storm fans last season the same question at this point last year and look what happened there, at this point in time they would have as equal of a chance as any other team in the conference to make a push for the conference.

Junior hockey is full of surprises and each season takes on it's own identity, looking back at last year is a good example the Guelph Storm were not a team that looked like they would challenge for the league at the start of the season, by the trade-deadline they loaded up and made a big second half push that turned out to be a game changer in the end when the post-season came to an end.

Also to note if junior hockey didn't have a few surprises then it wouldn't be worth watching year. If you based your predictions off scouting reports then teams like the Knights would be handed the J. Ross Robertson Cup every season and teams like Guelph wouldn't have won a game last season.

stickhandle

Jul 4, 2007

Western Conference

Eastern Conference

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
Ottawa might be better this year

I doubt this but I'd still put them down as the 3 or 4 seed in the east. I could see them as good if not better in 2020-2021 than they were last season though.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
This regular season prediction can and probably will change by September 19.

East:
Sudbury - central is weak; east very strong
Peterborough
Ottawa - #1 or push for ‘21 mem cup
Oshawa
Barrie
Mississauga
North Bay
Hamilton
Kingston
Niagara

West:
Kitchener
Flint - dependant on OAs
Saginaw
London
Owen Sound
Soo
Erie
Sarnia
Windsor
Guelph

Edit: Sept. 19

East:
Ottawa
Sudbury
Peterborough
Barrie
Mississauga
Oshawa
North Bay
Kingston
Hamilton
Niagara

West:
Kitchener
Saginaw
Flint
London
Owen Sound
Windsor
Erie
Soo
Sarnia
Guelph

Last edited:

JagrBomb93

Mar 1, 2014
London, Ontario

East:
Peterborough
Oshawa
Barrie
Mississauga
North Bay
Hamilton
Kingston
Niagara

West:
Kitchener
Flint - dependant on OAs
Saginaw
London
Owen Sound
Soo
Erie
Sarnia
Windsor
Guelph
Flint above London and Saginaw? I don’t think so. Windsor will be in the top 4 as well.

AttackSound

Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario

East:
Peterborough
Oshawa
Barrie
Mississauga
North Bay
Hamilton
Kingston
Niagara

West:
Kitchener
Flint - dependant on OAs
Saginaw
London
Owen Sound
Soo
Erie
Sarnia
Windsor
Guelph

Flint ?? I think this is a little over optimistic, they should be better this season but still unproven they'll probably be a season away from being tops in the conference.

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
In no particular order the top 3 in the West.
Saginaw, London and Kitchener
Then a gap to Windsor.
Mix bag of the remaining playoff teams with a team missing the playoffs by a point.
Tough team to predict is Owen Sound due to the goalkeeping.
Out of Playoffs: Guelph

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Flint ?? I think this is a little over optimistic, they should be better this season but still unproven they'll probably be a season away from being tops in the conference.
Flint above London and Saginaw? I don’t think so. Windsor will be in the top 4 as well.

As I stated, (I probably will change that prediction) if teams do not add/subtract as I expect by the end of the pre-season.
Right now, I am unimpressed by the D of London and Saginaw. I will have the spirit as the top team in the west if Wilde is returned. Still, I have those teams as top 4.
Windsor seems young to me. They also have a new GM with ideals that likely differ from Rychel’s. Since teams don’t often miss the playoffs three consecutive seasons, Erie is in and Windsor is out.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Interesting thoughts on the upcoming season posted so far. This seems like a year where it is a little harder to figure who are going to be the winners and losers. I don't really see too many "clear" favorites in either conference. You can kinda see the better teams but not really who will rise to the top.
I chuckle when I see the predictions for Windsor - some have them on top and others see them finishing out of the playoffs - proves my point - no clear outcome for many teams. This is going to be a fun year!

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
The problem with predictions in modern junior hockey is the equation changes drastically at the trade deadline. Its not like 20 yrs ago when some teams would tweak the roster. Look at Guelph last year as an example they essentially turned over a third of their roster. Who could have predicted that.? Add to that the unpredictability of player development, as an example Ottawa last year. I knew they would be better but their jump was exceptionnal. So its a difficult exercise....one exception is London, pretty safe to slot them in top three year after year.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Kingston is going to be bad and no 15yo is going to be able to fix them next year. Ottawa returns a lot of their OHL Finals roster and if they decide to use that playoff expierience and go all-in again, few teams have the draft picks they do. Barrie seriously needs to restock their picks. I see Windsor improving but they were bad down the stretch after the deadline. Playoffs for sure but home ice a long shot. Saginaw and the Soo are losing some major key pieces and Who is returned from the pro ranks will decide whether or not they're Division front runners or not. They could lose even a couple more. People seem to think Flint is still the team from the first 25 games last season. They're not. They weren't THAT bad post Xmas and only lose OA overplayed 5-6 D Hakon Nilsen and 50/50 goalie Emmanuel Vella. Everybody else returns a year older. They also essentially add former 3rd overall pick Conner Roberts, former 22nd overall pick Marcus Gretz, Ryan Bangs, a Dennis Busby who wont be just returning from missing a season and a half, a second Import player in Oksentyuk, who looks like the real deal, 2nd overall pick Othmann, 22nd overall pick Kressler and the draft capital to add a player or four if they decide to go all-in. They frequently played shorthanded last year. Many nights with just 4 healthy true D. Division winners? I don't know about that, but if the chips fall right, it is a possibility.

AttackSound

Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Interesting thoughts on the upcoming season posted so far. This seems like a year where it is a little harder to figure who are going to be the winners and losers. I don't really see too many "clear" favorites in either conference. You can kinda see the better teams but not really who will rise to the top.
I chuckle when I see the predictions for Windsor - some have them on top and others see them finishing out of the playoffs - proves my point - no clear outcome for many teams. This is going to be a fun year!

This is what makes the OHL thread so great so many opinions on from so many posters, may the best prediction fall where they may will see how is close come the end of March.

Reactions: Helvigster

AttackSound

Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
The problem with predictions in modern junior hockey is the equation changes drastically at the trade deadline. Its not like 20 yrs ago when some teams would tweak the roster. Look at Guelph last year as an example they essentially turned over a third of their roster. Who could have predicted that.? Add to that the unpredictability of player development, as an example Ottawa last year. I knew they would be better but their jump was exceptionnal. So its a difficult exercise....one exception is London, pretty safe to slot them in top three year after year.

That is so true, the fact is we the posters have no really idea what teams are thinking right now and I'm positive that pretty much every team GM is in the same position asking themselves the same questions, Who do we have coming back?, How is coming into the team next season? Do we have enough pieces to make a push in the conference and league this year.

This season will be no different beyond the teams who make load up or look toward the future like every other year.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
After having Coolwood's super helpful OHL Draftpick database open in a window over the last few days to occasionally check and this thread going on, I figured I'd put some quick, easy numbers together. These are each team's picks in the first 5 rounds over the next five years. I believe teams are only able Trade picks as far as 5 years out now right? So this is a list of their available capital for this season. I didn't include picks after round 5 due to lack of value, not nearly as many have moved around and just time constraints. It doesn't take into effect where those picks fall either. Obviously Guelph's 2020 2nd rounder will hold more value than say London's. It also doesn't show things like Oshawa having no picks in rounds 2-5 next year but looking pretty good overall. Asterisks are for conditional picks. No way was I looking any of that info up, so who knows? Probably Coolwood. It should give some small insight into what teams should try and re-coup draft picks and what ones could go for it this year. Listed is team, #of 2nd round picks, # of 3rd round picks, # of 4th round picks and # of 5th round picks. Getting even MORE generalized, Flint (30), Ottawa (28), Sudbury (28) and London (25) have the most overall # of picks in rounds 1-5 over the next 5 years. Niagara (9), Guelph (12), Erie (14) and Sarnia (16) have the least. If you catch an error, let me know, I'll try and fix it ASAP. If someone wants to assign value to each round and re-do total approximated draft pick value in the bank for each team....

Barrie 4*,5*,5,5
Erie 6,1,3,4*
Flint 9,7*,5,9*
Guelph 1*,2*,5*,4
Hamilton 4,10*,5,4
Kingston 4,5*,4,5
Kitchener 5,7,7**, 2
London 7,8**, 5,5
Mississauga 7*,6**,3*,4*
Niagara 0,1,4,4*
North Bay 5,6*,6,3
Oshawa 9*,2,2,6
Ottawa 8,6,9*,5
Owen Sound 5,7*,4*,5
Peterborough 6*,6,5,6
Saginaw 6,2,5,6
Sarnia 4,4,3,5
Sault Ste Marie 3,5,6,6
Sudbury 5*,6,8**,9***
Windsor 5,4,6,3

Last edited:

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
After having Coolwood's super helpful OHL Draftpick database open in a window over the last few days to occasionally check and this thread going on, I figured I'd put some quick, easy numbers together. These are each team's picks in the first 5 rounds over the next five years. I believe teams are only able Trade picks as far as 5 years out now right? So this is a list of their available capital for this season. I didn't include picks after round 5 due to lack of value, not nearly as many have moved around and just time constraints. It doesn't take into effect where those picks fall either. Obviously Guelph's 2020 2nd rounder will hold more value than say London's. It also doesn't show things like Oshawa having no picks in rounds 2-5 next year but looking pretty good overall. Asterisks are for conditional picks. No way was I looking any of that info up, so who knows? Probably Coolwood. It should give some small insight into what teams should try and re-coup draft picks and what ones could go for it this year. Listed is team, #of 2nd round picks, # of 3rd round picks, # of 4th round picks and # of 5th round picks. Getting even MORE generalized, Flint (30), Ottawa (28), Sudbury (28) and London (25) have the most overall # of picks in rounds 1-5 over the next 5 years. Niagara (9), Erie (12), Guelph (12) and Sarnia (16) have the least. If you catch an error, let me know, I'll try and fix it ASAP. If someone wants to assign value to each round and re-do total approximated draft pick value in the bank for each team....

Barrie 4*,5*,5,5
Erie 4,1,3,4*
Flint 9,7*,5,9*
Guelph 1*,2*,5*,4
Hamilton 4,10*,5,4
Kingston 4,5*,4,5
Kitchener 5,7,7**, 2
London 7,8**, 5,5
Mississauga 7*,6**,3*,4*
Niagara 0,1,4,4*
North Bay 5,6*,6,3
Oshawa 9*,2,2,6
Ottawa 8,6,9*,5
Owen Sound 5,7*,4*,5
Peterborough 6*,6,5,6
Saginaw 6,2,5,6
Sarnia 4,4,3,5
Sault Ste Marie 3,5,6,6
Sudbury 5*,6,8**,9***
Windsor 5,4,6,3

I believe Erie has 6 2nds. Here's what I have for their draft pick cupboard, I've been tracking since around 2013 or so:

*2024 3rd conditionally traded to London, depends upon Golden playing an OA season with Erie most likely.
20201stGUE 2nd, OTT 2nd--HAM 5thHAM 6th7th-9th-11th12th13th, KGN 13th14th15th
20211stSSM 2nd-4th-6th7th8th9th-11th12th13th14th15th
20221stSSM 2nd--5th6th7th8th9th10th11th12th13th14th15th
20231stLDN 2ndSSM 3rd4th5th6th7th8th9th10th11th12th13th14th15th
20241st2nd3rd*4th5th6th7th8th9th-11th12th13th14th15th
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
I believe Erie has 6 2nds. Here's what I have for their draft pick cupboard, I've been tracking since around 2013 or so:

*2024 3rd conditionally traded to London, depends upon Golden playing an OA season with Erie most likely.
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
This is my count too. They got 2 second round picks back in the conditional trade with Cirelli. Oshawa got a 2019 second and Erie then retained those 2 additional picks

Reactions: dirty12

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI

[TBODY] [/TBODY]
The database didn't have them owning Guelph's 2nd or their own 2nd in 2024. Could those also have been conditional picks at one point?

Ferda11

Feb 16, 2016
Delete - will update predictions before opening night.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad