2019/2020 season predictions

Square Corners

Mar 1, 2018
Roth and Trott are being shopped because there isn't room for them on the roster. Both are slotted into 4th line roles behind better forwards and the team is looking to get them an expanded role elsewhere in exchange for some defensive depth.

Square corners, I am not going to respond to ridiculous hyperbole. If you have anything useful to say then do so.

And by "ridiculous hyperbole", you mean, "facts"? Because those are facts. If Roth gets traded they are returning ONE guy who scored 15 goals and even if Roth stays, they're returning ZERO guys who have ever been a point per game. And you're seriously calling people idiots for saying that team won't win their division............. And that team didn't get their 1st round import, so no big European coming there. And that teams 1st rounder in the draft is a Dman who won't contribute right away. And that team lost their starting goalie, so had to trade for a guy who's save % last year (on a defensive minded team who made the playoffs) was .893.

There's literally not one thing pointing to that team being even close to winning their division. They didn't even win their division last year when they had Morgan Frost, Mac Hollowell, Keeghan Howdeshell, Jordan Sambrook and Matt Villalta still lol.... And you're attacking people as if they're the Tampa Bay Lightning lol. This is lunacy

Your spin zone as to why they finished 6th or 7th at the end of the season is going to be your best work yet.

Last edited:

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
And by "ridiculous hyperbole", you mean, "facts"? Because those are facts. If Roth gets traded they are returning ONE guy who scored 15 goals and even if Roth stays, they're returning ZERO guys who have ever been a point per game. And you're seriously calling people idiots for saying that team won't win their division............. And that team didn't get their 1st round import, so no big European coming there. And that teams 1st rounder in the draft is a Dman who won't contribute right away. And that team lost their starting goalie, so had to trade for a guy who's save % last year (on a defensive minded team who made the playoffs) was .893.

There's literally not one thing pointing to that team being even close to winning their division. They didn't even win their division last year when they had Morgan Frost, Mac Hollowell, Keeghan Howdeshell, Jordan Sambrook and Matt Villalta still lol.... And you're attacking people as if they're the Tampa Bay Lightning lol. This is lunacy

Your spin zone as to why they finished 6th or 7th at the end of the season is going to be your best work yet.

Couldn’t have summed it up better

Reality is that I speak for most when I say that the top 3 will almost certainly be London, Kitchener, Saginaw (not necessarily in that order)

After that? There are question marks for most.. including SSM. They could finish 4th but could also finish 7/8 if they don’t get Hayton back and chose to trade away 1/2 guys

Square Corners

Mar 1, 2018
Couldn’t have summed it up better

Reality is that I speak for most when I say that the top 3 will almost certainly be London, Kitchener, Saginaw (not necessarily in that order)

After that? There are question marks for most.. including SSM. They could finish 4th but could also finish 7/8 if they don’t get Hayton back and chose to trade away 1/2 guys

You could've ended that sentence 7 words earlier. They don't need to trade away people to finish 6/7. If Hayton isn't back, they can very easily finish 6/7 with the roster they have. Pytlyk will likely be very good. Not one other player on the roster is a game breaker offensively at this point. Can someone have a breakout year and become one? Sure. But that could also happen for any of the other teams in the Western Conference too.....

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
You could've ended that sentence 7 words earlier. They don't need to trade away people to finish 6/7. If Hayton isn't back, they can very easily finish 6/7 with the roster they have. Pytlyk will likely be very good. Not one other player on the roster is a game breaker offensively at this point. Can someone have a breakout year and become one? Sure. But that could also happen for any of the other teams in the Western Conference too.....

That’s a fair point.. I guess I was more just theorizing that IF Hayton was not returned, they will be way more likely to trade off some players. Which will thus lock them into a lower seed. However, IF they got Hayton back they could ride him and make a minor moves to be a top 3/4 team

SSM is a hard team to predict. They are rarely a bottom team but that also is due to them not selling off when they could. 2016/17 is a prime example. That team was not going to compete for a title when it came down to it. Yet they didn’t sell off, just tweaked their roster. I’m not saying it’s all bad but it does make them a difficult team to predict

Without roster moves though.. even with Hayton.. I don’t see how they are higher than a 3/4 seed.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
East
1. Peterborough100
2. Sudbury95
3. Ottawa85
4. Mississauga80
5. Oshawa75
6. Barrie70
7. North Bay65
8. Hamilton60
9. Niagara55
10. Kingston50
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

West
1. Kitchener105
2. Flint85
3. London100
4. Saginaw80
5. Soo75
6. Windsor70
7. Owen Sound65
8. Sarnia60
9. Erie 55
10. Guelph45
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

NorthernVoice

Oct 5, 2017
If Roth gets traded they are returning ONE guy who scored 15 goals and even if Roth stays, they're returning ZERO guys who have ever been a point per game. And you're seriously calling people idiots for saying that team won't win their division............. And that team didn't get their 1st round import, so no big European coming there. And that teams 1st rounder in the draft is a Dman who won't contribute right away. And that team lost their starting goalie, so had to trade for a guy who's save % last year (on a defensive minded team who made the playoffs) was .893.
Seen you say this a couple times now but Oshawa has had arguably the most clear direction of anyone, no? Every move they've made has been to get ready for the 2020-2021 Memorial Cup host. By selling off Studnicka/Brassard to get Lleyton Moore then by adding cheap at the deadline but getting valuable playoff experience for the future leaders of that '21 potential Mem Cup host team in Tullio/Moore/Brewer etc. Also McShane and Vallati are both unsigned and could be back next year as OA's. But getting '01 Andrew MacLean instead of going to get Popovich (who is from near Oshawa), and also drafting '02 elite forward Oliver Suni, instead of a "win now" goalie, continues to show that it's all about the 2021 season as their goal, which is why I could see Noel getting sold at the deadline to continue to add to the young players and draft picks (which they already have the most 2nds in the entire league)

Isn't Oshawa in pretty big danger of being next year in the situation the Soo is in this year? Let's say McShane and Vallati are good enough to merit a pro contract next season (if they are looking that good, I guess they have to be dealt at the deadline). Who is Oshawa going to be returning who could be a point per game player? Maybe Tullio?

I know the argument here is picks, picks, picks, picks, picks and any team can be good as long as they have draft picks but when you're telling anyone who will listen that the Gens will be cup hosts/contenders next season with a lineup that could be:

??? - ??? - ???
??? - Tullio - Suni
Winterton - Harrison - ???
??? - Michaud - ???

Moore - ???
Brewer - ???
Pitt - Jesus

???/Maclean
Sbrocca

Is the Hounds lineup this year progressing and adding players really that farfectched? I don't know, something about glass houses and stones comes to mind.

NorthernVoice

Oct 5, 2017
East
1. Ottawa
2. Sudbury
3. Peterborough
4. Barrie
5. Oshawa
6. Niagara
7. Hamilton
8. Mississauga
9. North Bay
10. Kingston

* I think Oshawa is better than Barrie now but for reasons outlined above, I suspect Oshawa may sell off a bit more than expected for picks/youth.

West
1. Kitchener
2. Saginaw
3. London
4. SSM
5. Windsor
6. Flint
7. Owen Sound
8. Sarnia
9. Erie
10. Guelph

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
I know the argument here is picks, picks, picks, picks, picks and any team can be good as long as they have draft picks but when you're telling anyone who will listen that the Gens will be cup hosts/contenders next season with a lineup that could be:

??? - ??? - ???
??? - Tullio - Suni
??? - Michaud - ???

Moore - ???
Brewer - ???
Pitt - Jesus

???/Maclean
Sbrocca

Is the Hounds lineup this year progressing and adding players really that farfectched? I don't know, something about glass houses and stones comes to mind.

Yeah if McShane and Vallati both make pro hockey then they will have a similar lineup to SSM, like you said the difference being SSM has 3 2nds in the next 5 drafts and the Gens having 11 of them..... That's a seismic difference. You can add quite a few elite players at that price. Also you left out Antropov from your "projections" who will be one of the better OA forwards next year. And you left out Will Ennis who will certainly be back as an OA D-man. Also left out Paputsakis, as the goaltending won't change next year (MacLean/Paputsakis)

Antropov(OA)-McShane?-Suni
Winterton-Tullio-Harrison
McSorley-Michaud-Gagnier
Others: Dawson McKinney? Hunter Brazier? Adam Jeffrey? John Farinacci? Owen Lindmark? Cooper Way?

Brewer-Moore
Ennis(OA)-Vallati?
Pitt-Jesus/Whittaker
Others: Owen Brady? David Gucciardi? Austin May?

MacLean/Paputsakis
Sbrocca

They'd have no problem either way, but if they do get lucky and get McShane and/or Vallati back, with all the picks they have? Yeah, that team will have no problem getting very, very good if they get the Mem Cup. Also will have an open Euro spot with Gross leaving after this year and the Gens have one of the best track records in the Hunt era of getting good imports to come over (Tobias Lindberg, Nando Eggenberger, Nico Gross, Oliver Suni)

Last edited:

NorthernVoice

Oct 5, 2017
but if they do get lucky and get McShane and/or Vallati back, with all the picks they have? Yeah, that team will have no problem getting very, very good if they get the Mem Cup. Also will have an open Euro spot with Gross leaving after this year and the Gens have one of the best track records in the Hunt era of getting good imports to come over (Tobias Lindberg, Nando Eggenberger, Nico Gross, Oliver Suni)
Fair enough, do you agree if McShane/Vallati have breakout years (I know they've both broken out in the past but if they took another step) Oshawa would look to trade them? Maybe try to repeat last year's Studnicka/Brassard deal and package Noel with one of them for a high end '02-'03 (maybe they'd even take/prefer an '01 given their spot re: 2020-21)

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Fair enough, do you agree if McShane/Vallati have breakout years (I know they've both broken out in the past but if they took another step) Oshawa would look to trade them? Maybe try to repeat last year's Studnicka/Brassard deal and package Noel with one of them for a high end '02-'03 (maybe they'd even take/prefer an '01 given their spot re: 2020-21)

It depends on quite a few factors. Clearly Roger Hunt values playoff experience especially since he doesn't really need any more picks (his deadline last year). If you can get really high end young player++ for Noel and you think you can win a round if you keep McShane/Vallati, I think they keep them both and just move Noel, while also going to get a Brett Neumann type like they did last year to kill 2 birds with one stone. Get him to try to win a round this year but then also have him for the following year, for the full season.

Obviously if someone comes and says hey I'll give you Panwar or Cameron Tolnai for McShane, then you need to reevaluate and probably move him

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Isn't Oshawa in pretty big danger of being next year in the situation the Soo is in this year? Let's say McShane and Vallati are good enough to merit a pro contract next season (if they are looking that good, I guess they have to be dealt at the deadline). Who is Oshawa going to be returning who could be a point per game player? Maybe Tullio?

??? - ??? - ???
??? - Tullio - Suni
??? - Michaud - ???

Moore - ???
Brewer - ???
Pitt - Jesus

???/Maclean
Sbrocca

I think you will see Oshawa start to reconfigure that roster this season. If Serron Noel is traded, you will see at least one significant body added plus picks. Neumann will get picks etc.

I think they will roll the dice on the OA's regardless.

You can't delete the bodies not projected to be here but project their trade without projecting the return.

Then there is potential for two significant Imports in that mix.

I think you may be missing many variables or are ignoring them? Dunno which.

It also looks very likely they end up with Tommassino as well as Perfetti. Maybe just speculation on my part but I can see Noel going to SagInaw this year in a two part deal that places Perfetti in Oshawa next year.

NorthernVoice

Oct 5, 2017
I think you will see Oshawa start to reconfigure that roster this season. If Serron Noel is traded, you will see at least one significant body added plus picks. Neumann will get picks etc.

I think they will roll the dice on the OA's regardless.

You can't delete the bodies not projected to be here but project their trade without projecting the return.

Then there is potential for two significant Imports in that mix.

I think you may be missing many variables or are ignoring them? Dunno which.
No, the variables are really my point. Those question marks are real right now. Like you say, they'll have picks, OAs and import spots, as well as trades but there is a degree of uncertainty, that grows depending on the play of potential OAs. I guess I should have included Ennis/Antropov, I personally don't see them as equivalent to the Vallati/McShane type.

Like you say, I think they do a bit more retooling this year than simply trading Noel, which is why I think they're more in line with Barrie at the end of the year than Ottawa/Peterborough/Sudbury.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
East
1. Peterborough100
2. Sudbury95
3. Ottawa85
4. Mississauga80
5. Oshawa75
6. Barrie70
7. North Bay65
8. Hamilton60
9. Niagara55
10. Kingston50
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
West
1. Kitchener105
2. Flint85
3. London100
4. Saginaw80
5. Soo75
6. Windsor70
7. Owen Sound65
8. Sarnia60
9. Erie 55
10. Guelph45
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Erie predicated by you to have less points than they have had the last 2 seasons?? Yet this is the best team they have had in 2 seasons?? Bold.. very bold prediction

NOA

Apr 17, 2015

??? - ??? - ???
??? - Tullio - Suni
??? - Michaud - ???

Moore - ???
Brewer - ???
Pitt - Jesus

???/Maclean
Sbrocca

I have been on this train for months in regard to Oshawa’s roster next year

If they lost McShane, their Forward lineup is pretty weak. Even with him, it’s not that ideal. Yet I get chirped when I say Erie has a much better projected roster for next season. If Oshawa is expecting Winterton and 2nd year guys like Harrison to be clear pick 6 players; they are a bit delusional

I get it.. they have the picks. That’s important too. But they could be in a situation where they would need to add 3 top 9 forwards.. 2 of which are elite level names such as Suzuki. That alone will eat up a solid chunk of those picks. They then might need a 1/2 defenders and a goalie. And that to me is to make their team very good but not like it would be some sort of powerhouse. It would be more like a roster that will compete for a title but also could be had in the conference finals or finals ..

Oshawa would thus be smart to sell off Noel this year. If they do that and add more assets and a young player, it will increase their ability next season.

Reactions: Bra Wavers

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013

If they lost McShane, their Forward lineup is pretty weak. Even with him, it’s not that ideal. Yet I get chirped when I say Erie has a much better projected roster for next season. If Oshawa is expecting Winterton and 2nd year guys like Harrison to be clear pick 6 players; they are a bit delusional

I get it.. they have the picks. That’s important too. But they could be in a situation where they would need to add 3 top 9 forwards.. 2 of which are elite level names such as Suzuki. That alone will eat up a solid chunk of those picks. They then might need a 1/2 defenders and a goalie. And that to me is to make their team very good but not like it would be some sort of powerhouse. It would be more like a roster that will compete for a title but also could be had in the conference finals or finals ..

Oshawa would thus be smart to sell off Noel this year. If they do that and add more assets and a young player, it will increase their ability next season.

This is why I say Noel will probably go in a two part deal like to Saginaw for Perfetti wihere Perfetti goes to Oshawa next year. Saginaw is in a great position to make that happen and Perfetti wants to play in Oshawa if you believe the rumours pre and post draft in May.

Noel is also a pretty decent option for the 67's. I could see the same sort of trade with Ottawa involving someone like Graham Clarke moving to Oshawa next year.

Reactions: NOA

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
This is why I say Noel will probably go in a two part deal like to Saginaw for Perfetti wihere Perfetti goes to Oshawa next year. Saginaw is in a great position to make that happen and Perfetti wants to play in Oshawa if you believe the rumours pre and post draft in May.

Noel is also a pretty decent option for the 67's. I could see the same sort of trade with Ottawa involving someone like Graham Clarke moving to Oshawa next year.

I agree. Oshawa is very smart with their assets. They will make their team be a solid. competitive team this year (not good enough to win it all though) but still trade off some guys so next year they make a big run

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017

Nobody is expecting Winterton and Harrison to be clear top 6 players, that was just in what the roster would look like next year at this time, which I guess is pointless because junior hockey contenders change so drastically in a contending year, let alone a full season before they're going to contend. But it all comes down to trades my friend.... The Gens have more 2nds than anyone else in the league. They will trade for elite players and make their already pretty decent roster, into a championship contender if they win the bid for the Mem Cup (Projected roster for next year is already an easy playoff team and probably top 4 in the conference and this is before any trades this year, which will all be in an attempt to add to this roster for next year)

Also, there were a lot of Tomasino to the Gens rumours last year from various people (including legit OHL sources like Allan Etmanski and Steve Clark, not just people who just make up rumours). If something like that were to happen, add in the elite young player+picks you get for Noel, suddenly you're already looking much better for next year and you still have all those picks you could turn into 5?6? other high end players. If the Gens win the bid, they will have an elite team after the deadline in 2021

P.s. I am biased, first to admit that, but I still think there is something to the Perfetti to Oshawa rumours. Heard it from way too many people for it to not have been a thing and SAG will likely be going all in this year and will need to get those picks back next year. Tullio and Perfetti (kids and dads) are best friends. I still think that happens next year. There would be your star. He'd be the best player in the league probably in 2020-2021

Last edited:

Rubbers29

Jan 9, 2012
East:
Ottawa
Sudbury
Peterborough
Oshawa
Barrie
Mississauga
Niagara
Hamilton
Kingston
North Bay

West:
Saginaw
Kitchener
London
Flint
Soo
Erie
Owen Sound
Windsor
Sarnia
Guelph

Wow it’s hard to justify putting some teams so low in the west. I don’t think Guelph finishes last cant figure out who is going to not mesh finish below them

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Nobody is expecting Winterton and Harrison to be clear top 6 players, that was just in what the roster would look like next year at this time, which I guess is pointless because junior hockey contenders change so drastically in a contending year, let alone a full season before they're going to contend. But it all comes down to trades my friend.... The Gens have more 2nds than anyone else in the league. They will trade for elite players and make their already pretty decent roster, into a championship contender if they win the bid for the Mem Cup (Projected roster for next year is already an easy playoff team and probably top 4 in the conference and this is before any trades this year, which will all be in an attempt to add to this roster for next year)

Also, there were a lot of Tomasino to the Gens rumours last year from various people (including legit OHL sources like Allan Etmanski and Steve Clark, not just people who just make up rumours). If something like that were to happen, add in the elite young player+picks you get for Noel, suddenly you're already looking much better for next year and you still have all those picks you could turn into 5?6? other high end players. If the Gens win the bid, they will have an elite team after the deadline in 2021

P.s. I am biased, first to admit that, but I still think there is something to the Perfetti to Oshawa rumours. Heard it from way too many people for it to not have been a thing and SAG will likely be going all in this year and will need to get those picks back next year. Tullio and Perfetti (kids and dads) are best friends. I still think that happens next year. There would be your star. He'd be the best player in the league probably in 2020-2021

It’s risky to build a team entirely through trades but due to subpar drafting by Oshawa.. it’s what they will have to do for next season. Not saying it can’t be done but they will literally have to buy their way to success. Would they have the ammunition to get 4/5 top players? Probably. Especially if they won the bid (which they are looking likely to by default). All together they probably would need to add 5-7 players to that team next year

But they will certainly need all that ammunition because their projected roster for next year is not that great..

Reactions: Fischhaber

StormWatcher

Nov 26, 2013
Shot in the dark...

West:

Saginaw
Kitchener
London
SSM
Windsor
Owen Sound
Flint
Sarnia
Erie
Guelph

East:
Ottawa
Sudbury
Peterborough
Oshawa
Mississauga
Hamilton
Barie
NB
Kingston
Niagara

Edited... forgot Flint, sorry Flint.

Last edited:

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
It’s risky to build a team entirely through trades but due to subpar drafting by Oshawa.. it’s what they will have to do for next season. Not saying it can’t be done but they will literally have to buy their way to success. Would they have the ammunition to get 4/5 top players? Probably. Especially if they won the bid (which they are looking likely to by default). All together they probably would need to add 5-7 players to that team next year

But they will certainly need all that ammunition because their projected roster for next year is not that great..

The Gens draft very well.
I do agree the roster does not look good to host memorial cup next year. So predict 6th or something due to excessive selling; and, redirect the rest of the Gens stuff to the Oshawa thread or memorial cup thread.

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
Can anyone tell me the last time a team made a year-to-year jump akin to what many are predicting for Flint this year? Seems drastic IMO. I'm sure they'll be better and will be in the playoffs, but I can't see them winning the division, and even though 4-9 is a relative crapshoot i see them more in the 6-8 range...

Reactions: Ferda11

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
The Gens draft very well.
I do agree the roster does not look good to host memorial cup next year. So predict 6th or something due to excessive selling; and, redirect the rest of the Gens stuff to the Oshawa thread or memorial cup thread.

Will do. But I do have to admit that if the Gens are considered very good drafters than man you must think Erie and SSM are super elite at it! So, I’ll take it!

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Can anyone tell me the last time a team made a year-to-year jump akin to what many are predicting for Flint this year? Seems drastic IMO. I'm sure they'll be better and will be in the playoffs, but I can't see them winning the division, and even though 4-9 is a relative crapshoot i see them more in the 6-8 range...

Erie ..

2012-13, 19 wins
2013-14, 52 wins

That said, they had McDavid and a damn good, proven CHL coach who was in his first full year with the team in 2013-14

Reactions: WaW

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015

The wolves 10th in conference (20th oa) to 4th with 91 pts.
Flint is fairly loaded really; and, have the most 2-5 picks in the league. They should be expected top 4 imo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad